964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Ebay: 1991 964 Turbo Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Meant that if it is a turbo coupe converted to a turbo cab, then someone must have chopped off the roof, and by looks of it does'nt look too bad, ie.. convertable top looks like it fits properly and looks like it should when its down, nice and snug. Seems like i would be cheaper to get a tubo and chop the the top than a Roadster America and convert the engine, replace the wing, back hatch, etc...
That I understood... just not sure why you would think that's what this car is.

For the record, it would not be cheaper "to get a tubo and chop the top than a Roadster America and convert the engine, replace the wing, back hatch," and I'm not sure where you get the idea that this would be cheaper?

You would have to completely disassemble the interior of the car and part of the engine compartment lower the motor etc. Weld in brace to keep the car from flexing once you desturb tthe torsional rigidity of the tub by hacking off the roof including the windshield frame and "b" pillars. Replace the windshield frame with that of a cab, and fabricate and re-shape the upper rear 1/4 area and rear cowl, engineer, fabricate and weld in supports to rear area behind the interior 1/4 panels. Change both doors! (Targa & Cab use the same doors, windshield post, and rear 1/4 panels, rear seats, etc..) Most successful cab conversions are done to Targas not to coupes. Coupes are the one's where that you look at thinkin, hmmm, there is something odd about this,,, or the top looks funny!

Help me understand why doing this to a coupe is cheaper than either Turbo charing an existing motor in a cab, or doing a complete eingine swap? There is nothing to hack or cut that affects the integrity of the vehicle what so ever.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
That I understood... just not sure why you would think that's what this car is.

For the record, it would not be cheaper "to get a tubo and chop the top than a Roadster America and convert the engine, replace the wing, back hatch," and I'm not sure where you get the idea that this would be cheaper?

You would have to completely disassemble the interior of the car and part of the engine compartment lower the motor etc. Weld in brace to keep the car from flexing once you desturb tthe torsional rigidity of the tub by hacking off the roof including the windshield frame and "b" pillars. Replace the windshield frame with that of a cab, and fabricate and re-shape the upper rear 1/4 area and rear cowl, engineer, fabricate and weld in supports to rear area behind the interior 1/4 panels. Change both doors! (Targa & Cab use the same doors, windshield post, and rear 1/4 panels, rear seats, etc..) Most successful cab conversions are done to Targas not to coupes. Coupes are the one's where that you look at thinkin, hmmm, there is something odd about this,,, or the top looks funny!

Help me understand why doing this to a coupe is cheaper than either Turbo charing an existing motor in a cab, or doing a complete eingine swap? There is nothing to hack or cut that affects the integrity of the vehicle what so ever.
Like I said: "Seems like i would be cheaper to get a tubo and chop the the top than a Roadster America and convert the engine, replace the wing, back hatch, etc..."

To me it seemed eaiser

It seems like you are pretty well mechanicaly inclined
Old 11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Not sure what you would mean by "decent conversion"...?

Personally the car looks to be a Turbo Body Production car... an America Roadster, believe they were produced between 91-93. These cars like any other "Turbo look" factory car would have everything the Turbo car has except the engine.

If there is any conversion work to it then it would be the addition of a turbo system to the existing engine or the install of a turbo motor.
I'm not saying that someone couldn't have done a full body conversion etc on a 964 cab as well... it would just be easir to turbo and America Roadster.

Wonder why Victory would advertise this car as they did? They had enough special cars, and have enough experience with Porsche to know that this wasn't right!

Wheels look to be by Antera as Tjr said..

biglicks: That cyclops rear brake light was the hot lick in the late 80's early 90's for anything that had a whale tail. They were not cheap either!
The America Roadster was made for one year 1992. Small production run of around 200 cars. They did have the 3.3 l medium S4 turbo brakes vs the 94 C2 widebody (turbo look without a tail) which used standard 964 brakes.

The problem with converting a turbo to a cab was reinforcing the body. The cabs had additional stiffening provided to compensate for the lack of roof structure. I see this was mentioned already.

There were a lot of SC's converted to cabs prior to Porsche's release of thier first 911 cab. Most were awful and flexed like crazy.

Last edited by cobalt; 11-26-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: read additional comments after post see it was mentioned already
Old 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
The America Roadster was made for one year 1992. Small production run of around 200 cars.
There were a lot of SC's converted to cabs prior to Porsche's release of thier first 911 cab. Most were awful and flexed like crazy.

Thanks Cobalt.. I couldn't remember what year it was nor how many! Yeah, I too have seen a lot of these SCs that were converted to cabs. Not bad if done right using a Targa as a donor, there were a couple of kits years ago that oprovide the bars and gussets for the chassis stiffening.

Personally, I like Turbo body cabs & cabs in general, I love Turbos 930, 965 etc.. but I do not like the combination. Turbo Cabs...especially modded ones, never could figure why you want that kind of power in an open top car! Hey, but that's just me.

SA Mike: Not trying to be a #*ck, but yes I have been around these cars and a number of other exotics for a long time... put in time (sounds like a sentance) with BMW as both sales and as a service mgr, spent a couple of years also with Audi and Porsche as a service mgr.... all that while a partner in a small restoration shop. Finally came to my sences and went back to keeping this stuff as a hobby! Oh, and the cars have changed a lot since then!!

P-
Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

SA Mike: Not trying to be a #*ck, but yes I have been around these cars and a number of other exotics for a long time... put in time (sounds like a sentance) with BMW as both sales and as a service mgr, spent a couple of years also with Audi and Porsche as a service mgr.... all that while a partner in a small restoration shop. Finally came to my sences and went back to keeping this stuff as a hobby! Oh, and the cars have changed a lot since then!!

P-

No problem, the funny thing I was being sarcastic with my compliment or least trying to be.

cheers
Mike
Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Personally, I like Turbo body cabs & cabs in general, I love Turbos 930, 965 etc.. but I do not like the combination. Turbo Cabs...especially modded ones, never could figure why you want that kind of power in an open top car! Hey, but that's just me.
P-
Funny you say that because those are my sentiments exactly. I know people who have turbo cabs but they all live in warmer climates so that is more than likely the motivation. I prefer a roof over my head in a car this fast.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Makes sense to chop up a 91 turbo coupe if its already wrecked and you rebuild it. We know they paid north of 50k for it I wonder what they're asking now that they know its a fake. I also wonder how they know it was done in California? Obviously the guy who suckered them is a crook, how could they know who did the hack job?

Last edited by Trader220; 11-30-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old 12-01-2007, 02:42 AM
loot87
Racer

Is there any proof in the ad that any body stiffening was done?

Quick Reply: Ebay: 1991 964 Turbo Convertible