44.16%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

To bling or not to bling that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I get a set of Speedlines? I like the bling as I have a black car and IMHO...it would be sick!...and yes I vote for the polished but I hate chrome on 911s...maybe the Cayenne but that is even questionable...I want the Speedlines! ;-)
Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 PM
andy928
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

He is a pic of a 1994 with 18inch polished wheels, looked great, just missed out on it.

Name:  3 6T RS1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  68.5 KB
Old 03-09-2008, 05:35 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bklyn964Turbo
Where can I get a set of Speedlines? I like the bling as I have a black car and IMHO...it would be sick!...and yes I vote for the polished but I hate chrome on 911s...maybe the Cayenne but that is even questionable...I want the Speedlines! ;-)
Try Sunset Porsche in Oregon - a few people have sourced them there.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought I'd post these.
Elliot
Attached Images     
Old 03-09-2008, 03:32 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Turbohead, lookings like a lot of modding gone on?

Bklyn, new 965 owner? How about pics and some info?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

New owner...yes! Saw the car online on autotrader last year around this time...finally closed the deal in March and had the car shipped from Park Place in Washington. I am the 3rd owner and the car has 22K miles on it. The only mod is a lowered suspension, H&R springs. Everything else is orginal...oh I did put the euro clears in the front turn signals to give it a more updated and better look IMO.

Black with tan interior and black piping around the edge of the seats. I want to upgrade the headlights, change the stereo and put a sat/nav system in it and get the 18" Speedlines. It's plenty fast for me at this time so I don't expect to modify it. When I want more power I will either get a 3.6 or a 993TT...at least that is what I am saying today...could change. :-)

My car looks identical to yours minus the red brake calipers...mine are black.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,327 Posts

. It's plenty fast for me at this time so I don't expect to modify it. When I want more power I will either get a 3.6 or a 993TT...at least that is what I am saying today...could change. :-)
Heard this before. LOL Will see you down the slippery slope with the rest of us.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
Heard this before. LOL Will see you down the slippery slope with the rest of us.
+1

Or, as you spend time on here:

1. You justify junking the final muffler because it weighs so much and the car sounds better without it.

2. Then you realise that the car is being strangled by 15 year-old catalytic convertor technology, so you justify replacing that with a sports cat (and gain both bhp & torque).

3. Of course, as the 964 turbo is renowned for turbo lag and not having much low down torque you realise that the simple answer is to replace those 15 year-old headers with some nice shiny-new B&B headers (reducing lag and further boosting both bhp and torque).

4. Then you think hang-on, that K27 is pretty old hat now and to make the most of your new exhaust system, you'd be mad not to buy a much more efficent K27HFS turbocharger (further reducing lag and increasing bhp).

5. Finally you realise that a Tial 46mm wastegate saves weight, looks better and is more efficent than the original one.

By now you're thinking in order to make sure the AFRs are OK, you should get it dynoed. Of course all you actually care about are the bhp and torque numbers...

But, of course you may be made of much sterner stuff than me!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Oh my! I will now have to blame tjr....as you just gave me a laundry list of things to explore. ...my wife will now start to wonder what ever happened to those diamond ear rings I promised.

Here's the big question? How does that impact the value of the car? The reason I bought my car was because it was unmolested/stock. Some of those modifications almost seem like they would increase the value and make sense. Which ones are the most costly to do? I'm clueless.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by tjr
+1

Or, as you spend time on here:

1. You justify junking the final muffler because it weighs so much and the car sounds better without it.

2. Then you realise that the car is being strangled by 15 year-old catalytic convertor technology, so you justify replacing that with a sports cat (and gain both bhp & torque).

3. Of course, as the 964 turbo is renowned for turbo lag and not having much low down torque you realise that the simple answer is to replace those 15 year-old headers with some nice shiny-new B&B headers (reducing lag and further boosting both bhp and torque).

4. Then you think hang-on, that K27 is pretty old hat now and to make the most of your new exhaust system, you'd be mad not to buy a much more efficent K27HFS turbocharger (further reducing lag and increasing bhp).

5. Finally you realise that a Tial 46mm wastegate saves weight, looks better and is more efficent than the original one.

By now you're thinking in order to make sure the AFRs are OK, you should get it dynoed. Of course all you actually care about are the bhp and torque numbers...

But, of course you may be made of much sterner stuff than me!
Wait don't stop there. You haven't even touched on suspension yet or turbo boost gages or any of the other really cool toys that just makes these cars better and better.

If you plan on keeping it don't worry about resale. So long as you keep all the original parts you can always revert it back.

I would drive it for a while before you allow us to poison your thoughts with upgrades but I am sure you will feel the weight of this forum tugging you down that slope eventually.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Anthony that is too funny...last year I put the car on the road for the first time on Memorial Day weekend...by Labor Day I told a buddy I can now understand how and why I want more power...I've already been thinking about it. I get my car serviced at Rennwerke in Elmsford and they told me what you are saying...just drive the car for a while before you start getting crazy.

This summer I plan to add a new system in the car that includes navigation.

Do you have any recommendations for a brand that works? I was told the only brand that will work without cutting is a JVC unit due to the way the dash board is built our cars won't allow for a flip up/out screen. The JVC is the only unit with a small enough screen that doesn't swing out and stays in dash.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:50 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Oh my! I will now have to blame tjr....as you just gave me a laundry list of things to explore. ...my wife will now start to wonder what ever happened to those diamond ear rings I promised.

Here's the big question? How does that impact the value of the car? The reason I bought my car was because it was unmolested/stock. Some of those modifications almost seem like they would increase the value and make sense. Which ones are the most costly to do? I'm clueless.
Sorry - it's a tradition that the older members entice newer members with the talk of modifications....

You can do the whole lot above for c.$5k and give yourself 360bhp+, reduce turbo lag and increase torque:
B&B headers: $1.8k
K27 HFS turbo: $1.8k
Sports cat/muffler bypass: $1k
Tial: $250

If you get somone to fit it all, budget another $1k

And as Anthony says, don't worry too much about residuals - keep the original parts and refit them when you come to sell. You can then sell the parts on here/eBay and recoup probably 50%. Probably the only mod that may worry some potential buyers is the upgraded turbo though.

Re. your wife - if she's anything like mine, then she'll be resigned to your car addiction!
Old 03-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Unlock the potential of that car with some mods .Look at all the money you will save the next buyer from spending LOL

Forget bling I want to know where my AFRs are and whent to shift.

Elliot
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: To bling or not to bling that is the ?