Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 turbo Cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"you better call Porsche cars north America (800-Porsche), before you shoot you self in the foot."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This was his reply.........obviously a fraudster. If it was real he'd send me the evidence I requested. I have reported him to E-Bay.

He just sent me another message after I told him I was reporting him......this time he said "why don't you give me your e-mail and I'll send you an article about the car".......I said send me the underhood sticker photos, door jamb VIN plaque photos and documentation regarding the car that was previously asked for. No reply thus far.......LOL !!

Last edited by YYC930; 10-10-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree this looks like a fake - but apparently there were 4 965 turbo cabs made, see here:

http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/911spec_3_n.htm

The black one pictured was the one I saw for sale a couple of years ago at £55k.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Please take no offence, but that article does not prove anything to me IMHO. It is merely unsubstantiated supposition and a case of ACPOTI. It may be proven to be true.......but......

VIN's, along with documentation and specific photographs of same, would make me believe that these were built. Verified and documented info is available for the 993 turbo cabs.......but 15+ years later it is easy to say "Porsche did it" with anything........in this case all you had to do was buy the "turbo-look roadster" and after the fact, stuff a turbo motor in it.....voila !! Fake car. Decades later who would know. Just like this guy and his car.....he refuses to supply documentation/photos/etc when pressed, because none exists and he wil be proven to be a fraud.

Here's why I say that. I was the sales manager at the dealer here during 92-95. If I wanted something I merely asked Carole Ann Nemish (admin asst) or Randy Koster (national sales manager) at the Canadian head office of VW to e-mail PAG in Germany for me.

In 48 hours we got a reply from an engineer or someone in sales about our questions. In one case we wanted a quiet 928 GTS and when we placed our request that our client wanted it as quiet as the newly introduced BMW 850i, we got a scathing reply from the head engineer in the body department saying it would cost $50,000 USD to do so.....outlining what would be done and stating that the 850 was already the same as the GTS. They were pissed that we were critical of the 928 GTS. LOL !!

I had a client who wanted a 965 turbo cab back in 1993. He is still my client today. I asked them to take the turbo-look "America Roadster" and drop the 3.3 turbo engine into it just like the coupe. I said cost didn't matter. They refused on 3 occasions when we escalated it up the food chain in Germany. Their final letter to us was pretty direct. It was not going to happen.....cost was irrelevant. They would not reinforce the body and crash/emmission test the car merely for "one" North American example. We ended up selling him an Amazon Green/Cashmere "America Roadster" put the whaletail on it, and ordered up some RS 3.8 camshafts, ECU and 3.8 pistons and cylinder from ANDIAL.......$20K and 350 HP later......woo hoo !!!

Last edited by YYC930; 10-10-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by tjr
I agree this looks like a fake - but apparently there were 4 965 turbo cabs made, see here:

http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/911spec_3_n.htm

The black one pictured was the one I saw for sale a couple of years ago at £55k.
IIRC this car was brought up a long time back and Adrian I believe said it was not real. I would have to agree with the others and say this is a fake or scam of some sort.

I have C of C's for all my cars and mine don't have the 2 tone paper which to me looks like someone scanned over or added another printout over the original. Actually none of my C of C's even the newest one for my CT look quite like this one.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
al 965
Instructor

You would think someone who knows whom to talk to @ porsche would call and ask if there were any made as" special wish cars "and settle this discusion. After all it is a 1 800 phone call. If I knew what dept. to talk to I would.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
oscar94
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are there no members living in denver that could go check it out? seller ought to allow an inspection.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YYC930
Please take no offence, but that article does not prove anything to me IMHO. It is merely unsubstantiated supposition and a case of ACPOTI. It may be proven to be true.......but......

VIN's, along with documentation and specific photographs of same, would make me believe that these were built. Verified and documented info is available for the 993 turbo cabs.......but 15+ years later it is easy to say "Porsche did it" with anything........in this case all you had to do was buy the "turbo-look roadster" and after the fact, stuff a turbo motor in it.....voila !! Fake car. Decades later who would know. Just like this guy and his car.....he refuses to supply documentation/photos/etc when pressed, because none exists and he wil be proven to be a fraud.

Here's why I say that. I was the sales manager at the dealer here during 92-95. If I wanted something I merely asked Carole Ann Nemish (admin asst) or Randy Koster (national sales manager) at the Canadian head office of VW to e-mail PAG in Germany for me.

In 48 hours we got a reply from an engineer or someone in sales about our questions. In one case we wanted a quiet 928 GTS and when we placed our request that our client wanted it as quiet as the newly introduced BMW 850i, we got a scathing reply from the head engineer in the body department saying it would cost $50,000 USD to do so.....outlining what would be done and stating that the 850 was already the same as the GTS. They were pissed that we were critical of the 928 GTS. LOL !!

I had a client who wanted a 965 turbo cab back in 1993. He is still my client today. I asked them to take the turbo-look "America Roadster" and drop the 3.3 turbo engine into it just like the coupe. I said cost didn't matter. They refused on 3 occasions when we escalated it up the food chain in Germany. Their final letter to us was pretty direct. It was not going to happen.....cost was irrelevant. They would not reinforce the body and crash/emmission test the car merely for "one" North American example. We ended up selling him an Amazon Green/Cashmere "America Roadster" put the whaletail on it, and ordered up some RS 3.8 camshafts, ECU and 3.8 pistons and cylinder from ANDIAL.......$20K and 350 HP later......woo hoo !!!
I take no offence at all - I have no axe to grind, it's just an interesting discussion.

Re. your comment about Porsche turning down a request for your customer to build a 964 turbo cab for the US - this makes sense given the cost of "federalising" cars. However Porsche have, and continue to build cars in Europe that are not sold in Europe (964RS) or to a different specification (997 GT3RS) so I'm not sure this is really a valid argument (except against this car being real, which I doubt). Of course it may just have been that your comments about the 928 GTS pissed them off so much that they wouldn't help you out!

It is not as easy as ringing Porsche NA or even Stuttgart as Porsche have always been notoriously coy about production numbers, especially of their more limited production cars. They are famous for underestimating BHP numbers too...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Tjr........

I agree.......I've seen all kinds of stuff from Europe that they'd never think of making for us over here in the colonies.

They were really po'd about the 928 remark.....the engineer's name was Neitziger or something like that....I remember it well. 2 paragraphs were devoted to why our opinion of the interior sound levels was incorrect.

Last edited by YYC930; 10-10-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Yes, but the problem is the vin and other info provided point to it being a US model 1991 turbo and no US 964 turbo cabs were manufactured. If they were some info on this car it would have made the news by now being a one of a kind. BTW I have seen numerous forged or fake C of C's and this looks like one.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I said it before the CofC does not even look like a high quality fake, its just bad. There is no way Porsche would list electric sun roof on that cert if it were a real cert.The car itself looks off too, I am betting its a frankenporsche.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Anthony I agree that the car is a fake.

YYC - I'd loved to have seen that report!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:29 AM
al 965
Instructor

We were either wrong or some one bought the line,or had more info than we did because the car sold for fifty grand! Good luck
Old 10-13-2007, 12:22 PM
red9thirty
Racer

A car salesman friend once told me, "there's an a** for every seat".
Old 10-13-2007, 12:23 PM
red9thirty
Racer

Or was it, "a seat for every...
Old 10-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Just becasue the auction ended with a winner at a high price on eBay it never means the car was actually sold.

Quick Reply: 964 turbo Cabrio?