965 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
SA Mike, the picture above is not of my car. That pic was lifted off ebay to show the black carpet I'd like to install. Since I'm having the seats redone with fresh leather, I thought the sport option would be cool; I liked the adaptives in my 997S and I did like the sport seats in my GT3, so I think I'll like the sport seats in the 995.
Hey if they work you go for it. Whatever seats you get, you will definatley be glad on your car choice. Enjoy in good health
Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Hey the Z06 is a great piece of machinery not bad looking either, but like all vettes they don't excite me like the 965. If it were just about speed there are many cars out there that are faster but the 965 goes far beyond stimulating all the senses something I never get tired of.
I concur. The only reason I would sell/trade mine is to get another Porsche
Old 09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
kimo964
Racer

You got a really nice 3.6 that's already sorted out to build upon. Plus it comes with the RSR splitters already. I was interested in the car when it belonged to L8apex and tried to make a deal with Fred but no cigar.

Here's a pic of my C4 with sport seats and black carpet....a bit worn though.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2007, 06:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by SA Mike
I think it depends on the size of the person as far as the seats. I tried widening out the bolsters on the bottom and top and they still were too tight, then switched from Bud Light to Michelob Ultra and cut down on the Twinkie intake and that did help....a little. I found the performance of my 07 S to be very satisfying, for it being a non turbo it had good pull. Like I've said before a lot of people didn't/don't give the car the repect it deserves. It seemed like everyone wanted to compare it to the new Z06 and of course didn't have quite the power. Still it was a great car. I miss all my past cars.... with of course the exception of my 88 Nissan Maxima (140,000 miles, oxidizing paint, etc...) right after high school.
LOL at the Beer and Twinkie content.

But you bring up a very interesting point. I may get flamed for this, and certainly would on the GT3 forum, but in many ways the 997S is a better car than the 997 GT3. I know that's heresy, but it's a better car on street. Stunning performance, better over real life roads that are not race track smooth. It didn't have the jittery rear end of the GT3, and had a fatter tq curve. I did everything well, albiet in a stealthier and more understated manner than the GT3. Of course all that changes for a car that mainly sees track days.

As far as Z06 is concerned, it's a sledgehammer and very few cars can run with one, either in a straight line or around a road course. They are awesome performers. But at the end of the day, none of us drive spec sheets. There's just so much more to the ownership experience of a car than objective performance numbers.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM
frayed
Race Car

Ray, I like that combo. But WTF is up with your seats, mang? Gimme your address, I'll send you some leather cleaner!

Did you try to buy Fred's car right after he bought it, or recently? He better ship that thing to me or I'm heading to vegas and hiring a really bad ***** to take out his knees.

PS, what steering wheel is that? I like it!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:50 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Congrats on taking the plunge Jeff!

I love your comment "There's just so much more to the ownership experience of a car than objective performance numbers." and agree with what you say. I describe it to people I talk to as "Emotion". I just cannot think of a better description/explanation.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

You know, it's funny. I've been on forums for years, bmw, ferrari, and porsche boards. On every board that has new-ish cars, some jackass will w/o fail come on and spout how XYZ car is better, fast, and cheaper. What folks fail to understand, is that true automotive enthusiasts, not the poseurs who quote road tests like scripture, evaluate *the drive*. The drive is much more than peak hp. Quality of materials, ergonomics, road feel, and quite importantly, what your car says to you when you open your garage.

I've had my fair share of metal, my fair share of chasing automotive perfection. What has me so smitten about the 965 is what is says to me just sitting still. As one of my friends said to me when I showed him a pic of the new ride, 'that's a bad muthafooker right there!' And, I love the sound and the old school, simple interior. It'll never compare in terms of outright performance against a 997 GT3 or TT, but that's not the point.

A buddy of mine who knows I have a pretty well developed sense of cars and can discern handling issues fairly quick (my 360 for example was a PITA at the limit, but many never drive hard enough to figure that out), said you'll hate the 965, it's got a 30 year old architecture. . . and all that lag adds to the lack of precision of the car. In some ways he's right, but that is only one part of the equation. . . I draw the analogy to a custom chopper. People don't pour their life savings into a 100k custom bike b/c it'll go faster than a Ninja. . . they do it b/c they are freaking cool. While not a direct analogy, I think you get the picture.

Anyway, you baited me with a rant. Whew.

Drive what moves ya.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:18 PM
kimo964
Racer

Ray, I like that combo. But WTF is up with your seats, mang? Gimme your address, I'll send you some leather cleaner!

Did you try to buy Fred's car right after he bought it, or recently? He better ship that thing to me or I'm heading to vegas and hiring a really bad ***** to take out his knees.

PS, what steering wheel is that? I like it!
Ha, it was my driver so I never got around to it. The next owner made it like new. I got the steering wheel from AJUSA, it's a 930S wheel. No airbag though.

When I spoke to Fred, he had just finshed sorting it out and the invocie was still fresh so the price wasn't as attractive.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Ray, your seats are worn out. For sure, time to sell......

Jeff, I agree with you on the excitement front. Almost bought that car from Fred when he had all the parts but had not installed them yet. Enjoy the car.
I have heard another friend who knows cars voice similar praise for the 997s.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 530 Posts

First off congrats on the new wheels - you will not regret it and a 3.6 is sweeet! Pictures please!

I may get flamed for this, and certainly would on the GT3 forum, but in many ways the 997S is a better car than the 997 GT3.
Now on your point above, you will see that flaming is pretty much limited to the 997 GT3/GT2 board - there is a much different tone on the 993, 964 and associate turbo turbo boards. You can actualy ask stupid questions and people will not RTFM or "Search is Your Friend" you - instead this is a very helpful community where people like to contribute substance and are passionate about "old" cars.

I have an original factory rear seat delete option that you were asking for earlier. IMHO not worth it - just fold down the seats. I think it is the same as for the RS America, however I am not sure. If you need a picture, let me know.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:17 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

That wheel is also known (officially?) as a club sport. I have one too. Great feel, chunky and smaller diameter.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Frayed - Congrats on your new purchase. I think you will love it. The 965 will say great things to you everytime you go into your garage - and even more when you take it out.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:25 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

WOW!! Frayed, you've bought a 965? I take it all back :-) You are indeed a man of good taste

I missed the post, did you buy L8apex's car? I drooled over pics of that car many times and must admit to mimicking the splitters.

PS: You need to post some updated pics as soon as you can...
Old 09-23-2007, 10:49 AM
frayed
Race Car

Thanks all. addict, yeah it was L8apex's car. Since then, my understanding is that it went to one owner, then to a second owner who has it now in Vegas. The first owner after L8apex apparently had the car in poor running condition, with an assortment of oil leaks and vacuum leaks. Current owner went through the car and fixed everything, and added a turbo kit from IA.

I'll re-address the mechanicals with a more comprehensive build and attend to cosmetic stuff (stone chips and leather). Should be fun!

Quick Reply: 965 for sale