964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Speedline 3 piece sealant removal help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Speedline 3 piece sealant removal help needed

I have searched and can't find an answer to my problem even in JamesE's comprehensive refurbishment post which inspired this whole idea.

I'm stripping down a set of 993RS speedlines and i've removed all of the bolts and the centre piece but can not separate the rear dish from the front lip due to the heavy duty silicone sealant which has been applied (presumably at and earlier refurbishment).

I have tried cutting through the sealant with a blade but there is too much in depth and it must be also between the faces of the rims (behind the bolt holes) acting as a glue. I feel that if i can get enough off then i should be able to separate them by sliding a blade between the faces but i need help getting to that point.

So, after that long wided start, is there a way of melting or softening the silicone sealant by either heat of chemicals to allow easy removal? Or does anyone have any general tips (bar the obvious that i should have left it to the pros - i thought this would be a good learning exercise
Old 09-11-2007, 04:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

Not sure I can visualise exactly where the issue is, but would floss or fishing line get in there?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that you can buy silcone remover/eater from DIY stores but I don't see that it will get into the joint

Maybe try it anyway.

John, it will be the area where the bolts are, approx 1" wide all the way round.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Not sure I can visualise exactly where the issue is, but would floss or fishing line get in there?
John,

I was thinking piano wire to slice the two parts apart but first i need to get rid of the 'bulk' of the sealant.

Where JamesE's seal behind the valve in the picture is black mine is grey and looks to be twice as wide and three times deeper. I've seen better around bathroom suites If i get a chance i'll take a pic tomorrow so you feel my pain
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2007, 06:37 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Piano wire or a very sharp blade seems to be the best idea. Once you break the initial seal they should come apart fairly easily. When I refurbed my speedlines the first time I was advised to use silicone sealant. They leaked like hell so I had to re do them using stickaflex. Perfect job.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sal 965
John,

I was thinking piano wire to slice the two parts apart but first i need to get rid of the 'bulk' of the sealant.

Where JamesE's seal behind the valve in the picture is black mine is grey and looks to be twice as wide and three times deeper. I've seen better around bathroom suites If i get a chance i'll take a pic tomorrow so you feel my pain
That looks like the original rubber gasket seal used on all speedlines. They are pretty expensive to replace so the previous owner may have just siliconed the hell out of it. Or maybe he was getting leaks and as said before, siliconed the hell out of it. Even with the original non-sticking seals I had a tough time separating one of my rims.

No personal experience but lots from google "Commercially lye dissolved in tetra hydro furan is used to remove cured silicon rubber. this is extremely nasty stuff and will probably dissolve the plastic frame. I have personally disassembled tanks for repair by dragging a double edged razor blade through the seam with a pair of vise grip pliers."

Good luck. I have found the whole project to be much more work than anticipated. I think it will be worth it.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Ryan said, that black gasket is the original rubber gasket that seals. It may have been sealed during assembly when someone used the old gasket because of expense to get a new one. When I disassembled my last two sets of Speedline wheels there was absolutely now silicone sealent between the rim halves, the aluminum crush ring that the black rubber gasket you are looking at and the other outer rim half. I got on top of a piece of carpeting to protect the fast and used a rubber hammer to gently but firmly tap all around the center. The center drops through to the inside upon disassembly. I also stood the wheel and gently tapped on the inner hoop where the tire seals, but be careful as too much force could bend this outer rim half. Remember you are mostly tapping on the face of the center to break it free. Good luck. Jim
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

I had to use a rubber hammer on mine.

I think the picture above is actually of my wheel???
Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Once you get them apart you might need some of the info from here about half way down.

http://shop.fvd.de/?VID=124489&VCD=9...=Spare%20Parts
Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

There is a gasket made from rubber between and the the silicone is put over it to seal it..
I would cut the edge of the silicone with a razor and pry apart.

BTW
bolts should torqued at 18lbs when you re assemble
Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Looks like no gaskets but PLENTY of sealant/silicone to fill the gap.

Is there a way of melting or dissolving sealant/silicone?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

What's wrong with the DIY stuff I mentioned? Haver you tried it or know anyone that has?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

My business got hit by lightning yesterday and I have to replace several motors that were damaged. One of them had silicone all over the mounting bolts and connections for some reason. We could not cut through it quickly enough so we tried a large knife that was garbage we sharpened it and heated it with a torch. Cut through like butter.

Might be worth a try, but it all depends what product was used.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
What's wrong with the DIY stuff I mentioned? Haver you tried it or know anyone that has?
Looked at a Unibond product at B&Q but it said not to use with alloy but didn't say why and the website wasn't any clearer.

Got more of the bulk off with a cutter piece for the dremel but have not managed to split any of the the rims off any of the back dishes yet.

Off to the builders merchants tomorrow for some "silicone eater"!!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:04 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

How about one of those survival saws, the ones that are wire with rough edges. That should cut through it.

Quick Reply: Speedline 3 piece sealant removal help needed