Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

EFI Conversion Finally completed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts
Default EFI Conversion Finally completed!

I know I have commented on several other posts regarding EFI conversions. For many reasons (some self-induced), mine has taken many months to complete. Several months just trying to work out a final bugs. Its been frustrating in some respects, and a learning experience in others. Its waiting at IA for Passport to pick her up, and I cant wait to drive it. For the numbers guys, it pulled north of 515 /485 RWHP/TQ on three consecutive runs yesterday on 91 Octane. The AFR was flat at just over 11:1. The dyno chart did not have the boost line, but IA indicated the GT35R pulled very hard all the way to redline. The HP curve is very linear, looks almost like a NA car. My stated goal was 500 to the wheels with a safety margin in the AFR arena, something that always spooked me with CIS. Kaspar was laughing like a little kid when it was done, I simply can't wait to drive it.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 AM
mdj930
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

cant wait to drive it? road trip Fly in and you have a 12hr drive to Atlanta to fall in love with the new beast.
I look forward to hear how you like your new EFI.
Good luck Mike
Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 AM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Good work finally getting it all completed, nice numbers too!

I look forward to hearing your reports after driving
Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Olli
Racer

Happy to hear your EFI conversion was a success. Looking forward to hearing your impressions, and also what all was done to it "while in there..."
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
frayed
Race Car

bogey, that this is going to be a blast to drive. What do you expect in terms of turbo lag?

On a more general note, as I've been reading up on 964 Turbos and from what I can gather the mechanical fuel injection system (CIS?) is antiquated and is an Achilles heel in terms of getting a real good tune as you pump up the boost. In addition, it's a bear to maintain. Are my impressions correct? If so, it then would seem that EFI permits both better tuning as you deviate from stock parameters and allows more trouble free maintenance.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frayed
bogey, that this is going to be a blast to drive. What do you expect in terms of turbo lag?

On a more general note, as I've been reading up on 964 Turbos and from what I can gather the mechanical fuel injection system (CIS?) is antiquated and is an Achilles heel in terms of getting a real good tune as you pump up the boost. In addition, it's a bear to maintain. Are my impressions correct? If so, it then would seem that EFI permits both better tuning as you deviate from stock parameters and allows more trouble free maintenance.

Thanks.
Sounds pretty accurate...just one problem. It seems a reasonable estimate for EFI conversion is $10 grand or more. If it was closer to $5 grand, we would all have it.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Olli
Racer

........On a more general note, as I've been reading up on 964 Turbos and from what I can gather the mechanical fuel injection system (CIS?) is antiquated and is an Achilles heel in terms of getting a real good tune as you pump up the boost. In addition, it's a bear to maintain. Are my impressions correct? If so, it then would seem that EFI permits both better tuning as you deviate from stock parameters and allows more trouble free maintenance......
I think all of us who have done EFI conversions would somewhat agree with this statement. While there are a lot of happy 930 and 964 CIS owners with cars that run great, I personally found that the car performs at a different level (admittedly due to a number of other enhancements as well) and with a confidence factor that is in a different league from what it was as a CIS car.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 PM
LeonardZ
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.
CIS is definitely NOT a bear to maintain. It has a proven reliabity and IS tunable. It does however have it's limits.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:31 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh lord this has been a long project and one hell of a ride. Both emotionally and physically this project has been taxing. Needless to say the last set of changes me made worked very well and I am VERY pleased with the outcome. The car might as well not have a first gear as it blips right through it. The dyno you see is not a 20 second pull rather a timed 45 second run. This type of pull really puts the car through the wringer and show you what it really can do! I have several dynos and the most we pulled was 516/485. The one you see here is the hottest of all the runs at 513/450. I will try to post up the other dynos shortly. AFR stabilized at redline at 11.1 and is running 1 bar.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Here are some more build pics of the GT35 plumbing and the general setup. The MSD has since been thrown out the back of the shop and M&W CDI has been installed.
Attached Images        
Old 09-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work. It looks like the engine could be run to 7250 though.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It could, but the clutch had almost no run time at all on it. The cams are built to go there. Maybe once I get the road tuning done and the stereo upgraded I will run it again and post sheets.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:17 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

These are the finished version of the intake and filter
Attached Images    
Old 09-06-2007, 05:51 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stephen

Sent you a message. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:36 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Frayed: the lag was something we tried to manage as we went along, and actually sent me toward the GT35R. The goal was to have it spool as much like my beloved HF as possible. Stephen felt like it was well matched for the rest of the build and cams. His impression after driving it was that it was the right turbo, and the lag is there until the low 3,000RPM range, but once on boost it just screams. I had already built my car to the limits of CIS, and always worried about the AFR ratios and the southern heat I drive in. The decision to go for the EFI was made after I went and drove a number of potential replacement cars. I just could not find the feel I was looking for in the more modern cars, even though they may be "better" cars. I really thought the GT3 would be my answer, and it almost was. I just love the boost bong too much. I dont know about the difference in maintenance, but i think the motor is better off EFI. I know i am better off with another 120 to the wheels!

Quick Reply: EFI Conversion Finally completed!