964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Cheap wastegate-cat bypass for UK/Euro owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:37 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gaz,
Mark/911addict has done those bypasses/deletes etc etc so I would take his advice. As for performance then yes, these are good things to do.

Supposedly a EBC is better at controlling turbo pressure than a spring so I bought a Blitz Dual Solenoid type. I have a Tial wastegate with a 0.5bar spring. I am hoping this lower boost pressure will be useful for getting off the line in 1st gear without lighting up the tyres. When going into 2nd gear in the dry I will re-activate the controller to give full boost. I'm thinking a button on the steering wheel that I can hold with my right thumb to turn off the EBC while launching.

Headers and cams are good. I have gone with GHL headers.
I am not so sure about the RS flywheel. However, Mark is having it done so that will be interesting to hear what he thinks. I would think a heavier flywheel makes a car easier to pull away & helps smooth things out. I found it difficult to launch my car as it is. What fly & pp I have I am not sure. The previous owner was adamant that it has a trick setup but I personally do not think it does. It held fine for me at the strip though and I am not going to split the engine from the tranny to take a look. My pedal is very hard though.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

addict, you have pm
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default porsches in the attic

Hi,
just climbed out of the attic/loft for us brits and the de-cat has a plate fixed on it.The manufacturer of the de-cat is a phoenix part no. carP65kater any one know anything about them.The pipe has a four bolt flange on one side the oxygen sensor to the right a bracket in the middle then a lower bracket with a 5/16" hole then the trumpet ,it will be easier to see how it connects when under the car I think ,no brand on the g-pipe but stainless and shiny for now.

Regards Gaz,,
Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Gaz, does it look anything like this: http://www.target-earth.net/cars/por...1_exhaust.html
Old 08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default de-cat

Hi, Megatron

yeah it looks like that, the bracket on mine fits around the pipe in the oxygen sensor area.I think its a American product so the quality looks spot-on.

Thanks for the photo link.what hard wear should I need to fit this?or will I simply pull the factory cat out and the fasteners and gaskets already being used do for the new cat by-pass?

Regards Gaz,,
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

As long as you can get the old cat off okay then you shouldn't need anything new; I just put a little bit of high temp exhaust putty around the bolt holes on the turbo end, just for a bit of peace of mind, but other than that it just bolts straight up.

Be warned though, you *will* need heat to free up the bolts on the turbo flange
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Many thanks mate,,,hope I don't burn myself on that Turbo flange.....
Old 08-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

What I did was soak them with WD40 for 2-3 days before attacking them with the oxy-acety - got them cherry red and they came straight off. I'd guess that if you try to get them without heat you'll round them straight off - they're likely to be heavily rusted on any cars as old as these in the UK
Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

If your cat bypass is like the one in the picture then that wil be louder than mine. If you put the g-pipe on as well, you will probably be way too loud and I don't know anyone who has been happy with that setup. Maybe you'll be the first ;-)
Good luck.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

That set-up looks pretty much identical to mine. I echo addict's opinion about having this and the g-pipe - after being thrilled at first with having something so awesomely loud (and I mean LOUD) it's just become too difficult to live with. Can't hear the stereo, can't have conversations, can't live near anybody else...! However, I understand the temptation to try it; I was warned off but felt the need to give it a go anyway. I don't regret trying it - it's worth it for the fun of setting off car alarms! But I'm looking forward to having a car that I enjoy driving again.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

I personally don't understand the attraction of the G-pipe and having a completely straight-through exhaust system (I did that as a kid with my first car and a striahgt through system on a Austin A-series engine! ).

The way to go is definitely de-cat (whether chambered like 911Addicts or straight-through like mine) and keep the silencer
Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Megatron-UK]I personally don't understand the attraction of the G-pipe and having a completely straight-through exhaust system QUOTE]

Are you one of my neighbours who dobbed me in to the council?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:04 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Whoops!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default WON'T E*AY THE SILENCER,JUST YET......

Hi, chaps.

I will give it a go and if it's too crazy I'll put the side silencer back on.All your information has been very informal to me I can't thank you all enough.

Regards GAZ,,
Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, just to let you know that the cat is back. And, I must say it's a relief. Despite feeling that the neighbours have won it was a joy to drive home and be able to hear the stereo. More importantly I really prefer the character of the car with less noise. I can hear the turbos spooling up again and get an awesome induction roar through the cone filter. None of this could be heard before due to the huge exhaust noise. I also prefer a bit more lag, makes it more fun. The job of getting the bypass off and getting the cat back on was relatively straight forward (ok, so I was watching rather than doing! But as far as jobs go it seemed pretty easy).

Gaz, I 100% understand the desire to go for the straight double bypass. I'm really glad I did it cos I wouldn't have believed the effect without trying it myself and the amount of pops and bangs on lift-off was simply unreal. And I got thumbs up from other drivers at every traffic light. But I just couldn't live with it in the end. I did about three months with it.

So...cat bypass for sale. Highly recommended to use in conjunction with the secondary silencer! pm me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Cheap wastegate-cat bypass for UK/Euro owners