Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:10 AM
kimo964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dholling13
Is this the item you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-PO...31536224QQrdZ1
If this is the link, you can still contact the buyer via email. Seems like they are a retailer. Someone may have just sold it to them or ??? I would be suspicious too but there doesn't seem to be too much that can be done now. Sucks big time!!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:41 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kimo964
If this is the link, you can still contact the buyer via email. Seems like they are a retailer. Someone may have just sold it to them or ??? I would be suspicious too but there doesn't seem to be too much that can be done now. Sucks big time!!
I just found out that the wheels were sold locally!

The good thing is that the dealer who originally supplied the wheels can indeed look up the manufacturing date of those wheels.

I contacted the insurance company and they are working with the Police to go after both the seller and the buyer.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:46 AM
965 crazy
Advanced

sorry to hear that, you must be gutted cos i would be !!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two words to avoid this situation in the future ... 'wheel locks'
Old 05-26-2007, 12:53 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
Two words to avoid this situation in the future ... 'wheel locks'
The factory wheel locks can be picked by a 7yr old. They would hardly slow down someone determined to steal your wheels.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Originally Posted by 965 crazy
sorry to hear that, you must be gutted cos i would be !!!!!!!

The wheels were bought by a Rennlister, who knew too well what he was buying!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Please keep us posted on the action the Police take...I really hope justice is served in big truck loads...

Yasin
Old 05-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Autobahn
The wheels were bought by a Rennlister, who knew too well what he was buying!!!
Ok before any other untruths are spoken I will let everyone know the situtation.

Yes I bought the wheels.

No I did not know they may be the wheels in question. In the first post about them stolen, I never saw any mention of identifying factors. This would include center caps, valve stems, tires/tread, etc. Should I have put 2 and 2 together sooner, maybe. However, I purchased them from a legitimate tire dealer with good feedback on ebay. I saw a good opportunity and jumped on it before thinking because good deals do not last. I also got a good price but nothing that would set off alarm bells as "too good to be true".

If I had stopped and realized what they may be, I would NOT have purchased them. There is no way that I would ever want to do something descructive to a fellow Rennlister.

Upon seeing this post, I immediately called the tire dealer. He gave me every assurance that they are legit. As I type this, he is working to track down the origin of the wheels. He also has offered me full refund on the wheels no questions asked...which I plan to take due to the concerns on the wheels.

If these wheels can be identified as the ones in question, they are the property of the insurance company and should be returned to them.

My only wonder is that there is nothing to definitively identify them and after I return them, they will just be sold again to someone else.

The tire dealer seemed very up front with me and always answers his phone. He wished the original poster would call him to help him get to the bottom of it as he is running a business and wants to maintain his image. His phone number and business name are on the ad. The wheels were in plain sight at the shop. I have no reason to believe he has anything to hide or is in on anything. If they are the wheels, then they may have been through multiple hands and randomly ended up back in Houston.

I am sorry that Autobahns wheels were taken. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I hope to resolve this soon.

Regards.

RT
Old 05-27-2007, 01:07 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

That tire dealer knows who he got them from. I wonder how much stolen s**t passes through Ebay everyday
Old 05-27-2007, 02:27 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

After reading this, the next time I take my LM's off I am going to stamp them with my initials and some other info.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:44 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
Ok before any other untruths are spoken I will let everyone know the situtation.

Yes I bought the wheels.

No I did not know they may be the wheels in question. In the first post about them stolen, I never saw any mention of identifying factors. This would include center caps, valve stems, tires/tread, etc. Should I have put 2 and 2 together sooner, maybe. However, I purchased them from a legitimate tire dealer with good feedback on ebay. I saw a good opportunity and jumped on it before thinking because good deals do not last. I also got a good price but nothing that would set off alarm bells as "too good to be true".

If I had stopped and realized what they may be, I would NOT have purchased them. There is no way that I would ever want to do something descructive to a fellow Rennlister.

Upon seeing this post, I immediately called the tire dealer. He gave me every assurance that they are legit. As I type this, he is working to track down the origin of the wheels. He also has offered me full refund on the wheels no questions asked...which I plan to take due to the concerns on the wheels.

If these wheels can be identified as the ones in question, they are the property of the insurance company and should be returned to them.

My only wonder is that there is nothing to definitively identify them and after I return them, they will just be sold again to someone else.

The tire dealer seemed very up front with me and always answers his phone. He wished the original poster would call him to help him get to the bottom of it as he is running a business and wants to maintain his image. His phone number and business name are on the ad. The wheels were in plain sight at the shop. I have no reason to believe he has anything to hide or is in on anything. If they are the wheels, then they may have been through multiple hands and randomly ended up back in Houston.

Regards.

RT
I also saw these on eBay and before I had a chance to bid they were sold. I didn't think twice about them being stolen because as you said, they were being sold by an established dealer with positive feeback. So as far as I can see you have done, and contine to do, the right thing - bravo!

I know this is an emotive subject but ultimately one needs to be very careful when one accuses others of dealing in stolen property - especially on an Internet forum.

IMHO.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Originally Posted by Ag02M5

Yes I bought the wheels.

Regards.

RT
Ag02M5 contacted me and we were able to establish that these are in fact my wheels b/c of a small curb damage to one of the rear wheels. He was assured by the seller that the wheels were 'legitimate'.

I want to thank Ag02M5 for contacting me and trying to help resolve the situation.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Originally Posted by tjr
...I didn't think twice about them being stolen because as you said, they were being sold by an established dealer with positive feeback...
That is exactly where the problem is. A seller gets positive feedback b/c he delivers the items. No questions asked as to where the item came from. Most people on ebay are trying to buy something for little money without questioning why an 'established' shop would sell something so cheap.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:26 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also was going to bid, but seller ended the auction early - . . . Many of us dedicated ebay buyers/seller also do so for the broad market reached by that particular market. I always buy as low as possible not to just get a good deal, but to protect myself just incase it is not as described. I do agree we need to be careful how we might attack someone on this board. Part of the reason I joined was for the atmosphere here vs the Pelican site where some guys prey then attack unmercyfully people on the board. I know Ryan, we exchange emails weekly as we are both restoring Speedline wheels and comparing notes on technical issues and challenges as we proceed through restoration of such highly loved and sought after wheels. As soon as he thought there was an issue with these wheels he spoke up. Hats off to Ryan. Jim
Old 05-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the words Jim.

Well I had talked to Patrick over the weekend while I was out of town.

I thought that there was a scratch on a wheel but when I looked at it again, I didn't see it.

I only checked them out when I first went to look at them/pay for them. I didn't pick up until a few days later when I had another vehicle and just unloaded them and stored them away when I got home.

My only guess is that they cleaned them up a bit before delivery.

Regardless, I have returned the wheels to the seller. They will be there until there is resolution on this matter.

RT

Quick Reply: My Stolen Speedlines on Ebay