Opinions on this car

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Opinions on this car

I'm looking at a 3.6L turbo with 24,000 miles and the asking price is $39,000 firm. Looks clean on the outside, claimed to have no prior accident damage or paintwork. The mechanic says the car was shipped in from overseas; it's a Euro car but has Texas plates.

Brake warning light is lit on the dash, mechanic says the brake accumulator needs to be replaced with a part cost of $300. According to the mechanic, the owner has supposedly replaced "tons of parts" on the car and just wants it gone.

I was looking for a 993, but this car popped up locally and it really looks sexy and seems like a bargain. I'm somewhat experienced mechanically but I think this car could get really expensive really fast. What do you think?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first blush I would say it is about $25-30K too cheap if it is a real 3.6 turbo with 24K miles.

Proceed accordingly.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

I agree with YY. That is very cheap, especially with the low miles. Danger will robinson!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

be aware that a lot of canadian exotic cars are stolen and shipped to the Mid-east via Montreal. Some find their way back to the states by unethical brokers for huge profits. $39k for a 94 Turbo with 24k miles is a wet dream unless the car has been pieced together. You should make sure all numbers are matching for the body and engine. You should get the seller to verify the origin of the car's first sale thru PCNA. Don't know if PCNA can do this for a European car but they should be able to lead you to a contact that can. When it comes to Texas car registration, they are a real PITA so if it has Texas plates, the chances are the car is legit. But I would make sure the plates are registered to this car. Don't trust a carfax only as they are not foolproof.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
asimler
Racer

I'm not sure what a brake accumulator is but if its the same as the booster pump that is a £1,000 ($2,000) part plus the tax and fitting.

From your email description something sounds a bit fishy.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by last toy
be aware that a lot of canadian exotic cars are stolen and shipped to the Mid-east via Montreal. Some find their way back to the states by unethical brokers for huge profits.
That's funny, the mechanic said the car was shipped in from the Mideast or from Spain with foreign plates, he couldn't recall where.

Anyways I am going to pass on the car because it's way too much car for me. I really don't need something that fast, even if it turns out to be a bargain.

The car is sitting outside a European repair shop in Austin, TX and the shop says they're selling it for a customer. The phone for the shop is (512) 837-1525.

The car is purple exterior, black interior. Seemed a bit dirty from sitting outside, and a little dirty on the inside. The shop had the front lid up with a battery charger station sitting next to the car at one point.

They said I could take a test drive (with me being a passenger). The car is 5 minutes from where I work so it wouldn't be hard for me to grab the VIN during lunch.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

How easy is it to disconnect the speedo or swap out another on these cars? I can't imagine too hard.

My first guess is that it has more mileage than it says on the odo but could poss be on ok deal.

If it was in Houston, I'd look at it.

Do the wheels have the proper "Speedline for Porsche" script?

RT
Old 03-05-2007, 09:52 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by austin944
Anyways I am going to pass on the car because it's way too much car for me. I really don't need something that fast, even if it turns out to be a bargain.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
How easy is it to disconnect the speedo or swap out another on these cars? I can't imagine too hard.

My first guess is that it has more mileage than it says on the odo but could poss be on ok deal.

If it was in Houston, I'd look at it.

Do the wheels have the proper "Speedline for Porsche" script?

RT

Actually the only thing stopping anyone from doing just that is the cost of a replacement speedo, which is high. Around $1000 new and $500 used.

When I brought over many Porsche's in the 80's during the grey market, many of the cars I looked at had the speedos swapped. They tried giving the cars bad paint jobs and newer speedos so unsuspecting American's would think the cars had much less mileage than they did. They are dated on the back and the date usually shows a year prior to the build date (ie 93 has 92 build speedo). Although the truly unscrupulous can buy a new speedo and accumulate mileage on it and then swap it back later for the original shaving many miles off the cars history. This could be easily done to all 911's right up until 1998.

That is why a good PPI is imperative along with records and just plain common sense. I have seen cars with speedos claiming 13k original miles yet the seats look like they had 50k+ with a filthy engine and bad repaint. Odds are these cars have had a speedo swap but sometimes there is no way to prove it.

Buyer beware.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Schedule a drive, call me, I'm mid-town: I'll look at it with you.

Mark 925-6977
Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkRobinson
Schedule a drive, call me, I'm mid-town: I'll look at it with you.
Thanks very much for the offer, but I am going to pass on the car. Here are some pics by request. The car has RUF wheels and an "untitled" tag in the back window.
Attached Images      
Old 03-08-2007, 10:29 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

That rear light is in the wrong place.

What year did they say this car was?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:35 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually the only thing stopping anyone from doing just that is the cost of a replacement speedo, which is high. Around $1000 new and $500 used.

When I brought over many Porsche's in the 80's during the grey market, many of the cars I looked at had the speedos swapped. They tried giving the cars bad paint jobs and newer speedos so unsuspecting American's would think the cars had much less mileage than they did. They are dated on the back and the date usually shows a year prior to the build date (ie 93 has 92 build speedo). Although the truly unscrupulous can buy a new speedo and accumulate mileage on it and then swap it back later for the original shaving many miles off the cars history. This could be easily done to all 911's right up until 1998.

That is why a good PPI is imperative along with records and just plain common sense. I have seen cars with speedos claiming 13k original miles yet the seats look like they had 50k+ with a filthy engine and bad repaint. Odds are these cars have had a speedo swap but sometimes there is no way to prove it.

Buyer beware.
That is interesting about the speedos. You can also remove a fuse in our cars and it will disable the speedo and the odometer will stop clocking miles no matter how far you drive. I found this out when I blew the fuse. I replaced it within 20mi, but I can imagine a person that wanted to keep a low milage car just that, could run without that fuse and still drive the car.

So again, good PPI and buyer beware are always good ideas.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Hard to tell but brakes don't look right either.

Def not the standard red though I know they were available special order black.

RT
Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by austin944
Thanks very much for the offer, but I am going to pass on the car. Here are some pics by request. The car has RUF wheels and an "untitled" tag in the back window.

I have a Minichamps model of the turbo in this color and IIRC they called it lavender. Interesting color though do you have a paint code for it?

Quick Reply: Opinions on this car