Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

difference between exhaust on 930 and 964 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The header itself is the same but on the 964 the turbo is in a different place as well as the wastegate. So the plumbing is what is not the same. Also a dual outlet exhaust (like on a 930) is almost impossible. There is no way to get the driver side exhaust pipe to clear the turbo and rear fascia. This is why the wastegate exits this side rather than the small dump pipe on the 930.

I have tried to have a dual exit exhaust fabricated for my 965 but it will not work without some really horrible bends that would restrict power.

Craig
Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 PM
69COU
Racer

Default GSF Headers

I had the following from Albert at GSF if this helps.

I had a customer installed it on a 1992 965 turbo no problem.

I install it on a 1986 Carrera with 965 turbo motor in it. no problem.

I install it with a set of 930 flat type gasket and a set of 965 O-ring gasket on top of it.

I install it without turbocharger support brackst, they install with it. but I think they redrill the bracket.

The heater pipe on the right hand side will touch the oil filter a little need to bend a little for better fit.

I install the exhaust system with factory large oil line, by push the large oil line up a little factory oil line can be reused. picture below.

shipping to UK is $150.

Regards.

Albert

Last edited by 69COU; 11-12-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: adding images
Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 PM
69COU
Racer

Default Another option to GSF may be Schnell for us in Europe.

I am likely to go with GSF by the sound of others so far. However whilst doing some searching I also found these.

These are also designed for a 930 and i found this funny enough found this on a US website but apparantly the headers are made in Europe. Not sure if a European retailer exists. In addition if they do a version with heat exchangers.

Application Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schnell, the ultimate high-performance sport exhaust developed by some of Europe’s best racing engineers, is now available in the U.S., exclusively through Vertex Automotive. This is the exhaust system you wanted from the factory, the one that pushes the envelope for street legal, that understands your Porsche was crafted by engineers who used to make only race cars. Other drivers will simply be staring at the polished sport tips when you pass them. But it’s what goes into each part that makes Schnell, bar none, the new industry standard for performance and quality.

It might look like other sport exhausts made of polished T-304 Stainless Steel, but the similarities end there. These are completely handmade by Porsche fanatics whose sole dedication is to squeeze out every ounce of performance. With dual welds at joints for astonishing durability, and 100% mandrel bends with every tube polished even on the inside, this exhaust maxes your car’s airflow. Schnell’s design and quality means less weight, and also delivers a furious sound that makes your engine sound like it was developed to. Throatier and more aggressive, it instantly announces this is no ordinary Porsche.

There may be no better bang for your money. Increased performance, sweet sound, long life, at a remarkably competitive price. Schnell simply exceeds every expectation you ever had about a high-performance sport exhaust for your Porsche. Order now and become one of the elite to get the new standard for pumping out the max from your car.

Special Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Diameter Of The Header Is 35 mm
Inside Diameter Of The Crossover Pipe is 50 mm
Thickness Of Steel Is 1.5 mm
>T-304 Stainless Steel
>Unparalleled Quality
>50 State Street Legal
>Polished Mirror Finish
>100% Mandrel Bends
>Oil Tank Included

Porsche 911 Turbo Headers Schnell Performance Exhaust : Performance Exhaust

Weight: 20.0 lbs Porsche 911 Turbo Headers Schnell Performance T-304 Stainless Steel
Manufacturer: Schnell
Headers, Schnell Performance
Part # 930HEADERS
$799.00

Quantity:
Invalid Quantity. No commas.

We Also Recommend These Items

Invalid Quantity. No commas. Header, Exhaust Gasket Set - Header, Exhaust Gasket Set For Cars With Headers

Price: $59.00

Invalid Quantity. No commas. Porsche Ssi Heat Exchanger Oil Line Conversion Kit - Ssi, Oil Line Conversion Kit

Price: $179.00
Old 11-13-2007, 09:06 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Anyone know what standard OEM heat exhangers weigh? The Schnell ad says 20lbs for theirs but looks like without heat. I'm guessing aftermarket headers save quite a bit over standard, as there is something like 5ft less piping

Last edited by 911addict; 11-13-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 AM
turboholic
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of the "Schnell" Headers, the name is cool because "Schnell" means "fast" in german. The GSF Headers with heat exchangers are currently out of order
Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I'm sure Schnell has been discussed before either here or on Pelican.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
spark_s
Intermediate

Hi only just picked up on this post.

My gsf headers are about to be fitted as garage got sidetracked with another job and had to send them off for a few days. One of the manifolds was a couple of mm out so that was rewelded (cost £40) and now they are ready to go.

Will let you know outcome and cost soon
Old 11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Falk930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spark_s
Hi only just picked up on this post.

My gsf headers are about to be fitted as garage got sidetracked with another job and had to send them off for a few days. One of the manifolds was a couple of mm out so that was rewelded (cost £40) and now they are ready to go.

Will let you know outcome and cost soon
Amazing, I have 2 sets of OBX here, on both (means 4 sides) the middle manifolds was out of line.
Both needed rebending.
And please inspect them carefully inside!!
We found nearly loose pieces from grinding in both sets!

Falk
Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Is rebending good for them. It may weaken them over the long term, and put extra pressure on the fit. Not ideal.

Why can't these header makers get the right quality of fit, and consistency?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I have a set of GSF header with heat that "I" have modded for use on my 965..

I am going to be selling them soon. I have been running them since fall.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
lobofraggin
Track Day

Hello Kevin,

what are your experiences with the gsf, liked it or not?

Klaus

Quick Reply: difference between exhaust on 930 and 964 turbo?