Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Where to find one of these...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
D666S
Instructor

Location: San Sebastián de los Reyes, Madrid (Kingdom of Spain)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find one of these...

Hello everybody:

I would like to put in my 1992 964 3.3 Turbo one of this...
It is a short of 'engine protection' for rally and raid cars, do you know where to find it? or it isn't an 'standard' part and have to fabricate tailor-made?

thank you in advance, regards,

Old 01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by D666S

Hello everybody:

I would like to put in my 1992 964 3.3 Turbo one of this...
It is a short of 'engine protection' for rally and raid cars, do you know where to find it? or it isn't an 'standard' part and have to fabricate tailor-made?

thank you in advance, regards,

If your talking about the bumper it is a 930 piece and won't fit the 964 body. They had aluminum bumpers as our cars are plastic over an aluminum sub piece.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 PM
D666S
Instructor

Location: San Sebastián de los Reyes, Madrid (Kingdom of Spain)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Anthony:

I'm looking for the aluminium piece, right beneath the bumper.

I think the new GHL headers seems more exposed to bumps and dirt than original ones.

thanks,

Old 01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I would have to say that is a custom piece. Never seen one like it before.

Yes the B&B and GHL units do hang lower than the stock units. I think the biggest concern is the oil tank for the turbo. Flachbau had his cut down to bring it closer to the turbo and less chance of bottoming out.

My car is lowered and I think the B&B's hang lower than the GHL's and I have never had any issues even with a good pitch on my driveway apron.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would have to say that is a custom piece. Never seen one like it before.

Yes the B&B and GHL units do hang lower than the stock units. I think the biggest concern is the oil tank for the turbo. Flachbau had his cut down to bring it closer to the turbo and less chance of bottoming out.

My car is lowered and I think the B&B's hang lower than the GHL's and I have never had any issues even with a good pitch on my driveway apron.
It's a simple very low cost fab job to shorten the mouting tab/tube. The scavenger recepticle now rides at the bottom at the same height as the bottom of the muffler. It is a cheaper and better looking solution than that 'rally' skid plate - unless of course you plan on offroading.

In general you are going to scrape the pipe running between the headers before you scrape the scavenger recepticle, but because the B&B recepticle is so low it really does make sense to raise it up for more protection - just in case you hit something sticking up. We all know what would happen if it got taken out and the engine ran for any period of time ...

Quick Reply: Where to find one of these...