964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Solid Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Engine Mounts

Where can I get solid engine mounts for a 964 turbo 1991 ?
Also looking for solid trans mounts.

It's a track car, fully aware of the sound implications.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

After some reading on the racing forum I am not sure solid mounts is a good idea.
Seems like I would be risking to crack things and have to check for loose nuts and bolts after every track day.

So I guess I am looking for Club Sport mounts.
My current engine mounts are history, have problems getting third gear in without unpleasant noise when coming out of corners.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Porsche Motorsport solid mounts as found on say a 964 Cup car sometimes crack at the ears. Also, the solid mounts put additional vibration on the weak engine carrier (which should be reinforced for any track car regardless of which mount is used). EBS racing sells some very nice solid mounts for the 964 which appear stronger than the factory mounts. I think you'd be fine if you reinforce the engine carrier as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The Porsche Motorsport solid mounts as found on say a 964 Cup car sometimes crack at the ears. Also, the solid mounts put additional vibration on the weak engine carrier (which should be reinforced for any track car regardless of which mount is used). EBS racing sells some very nice solid mounts for the 964 which appear stronger than the factory mounts. I think you'd be fine if you reinforce the engine carrier as well.
Geoffry, what type of mounts are you using and what kind of reinforcement have you done to your engine carrier ?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Solid mounts work fine in a 964T. Not really much difference in noise either. You can get a urethane front tranny mount to go with the setup. Or you could just get some RS motor mounts. These are still WAY better than your stock ones. Reinforcing the engine carrier is a good idea. There are some pics over on the 964 board from TomW on how I reinforced his. Pretty simple really and makes for a permanent solution....
Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

After reading all the posts on the 964 forum about failing or bent engine carriers I decided to reinforce them, thanks for the tip!
If I remember correctly I think one of the mounts on the engine carrier is bend.
Perhaps something to look out for on cars not being used on the track as well.

Found a company that delivers these urethane (or similar) tranny mounts, will go with that.
I decided to go with RS type of engine mounts, this will be hard enough to take care of my problems I think.

I am bit surprised about finding the engine carrier to be a weak link when everything else seems to be of "russian mining truck" size.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:47 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Is this engine mount issue relevant to those us pure road-users (or occasional trackdays) with our OEM setups?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I have heard of them breaking on the 911/930. I was not impressed when some people doing work on my 3.2 carrera wanted to lift the car up using the carrier with a engine hoist. Anyway they lifted a little and a mounting pulled through.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am using engine mounts from EBS racing which I think are a better design (stronger) that the factory Motorsport parts. I would not change the transmission mount to urathane from rubber unless you like to hear gears rattling like rocks in a clothes dryer. Listen to the video I posted and you can hear the trans noise over the engine. For a race car it doesn't really matter, but a road car or dual purpose car I'd recommend against it.

I reinforced the engine carrier by boxing in the arms and wrapping around the end pieces.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Thanks, love transmission sound.
I won't drive my car until I taken care of my engine carrier.
Hope to get some time to start working on the car this weekend.

991addict, do a search on the 964 forum and see for yourself.
If I where in your situation I would verify that the engine carrier mounts isn't bend and then leave it.
I only use the car on the track and a lot of things could happen, just making sure to deal with every weak aspect of the car that I know about.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Got my old engine mounts out today, the engine carrier looks good, not bend as I thought.
But I will reinforce it anyway, good reason for using my welding equipment.

Quick Reply: Solid Engine Mounts