Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Racecar Project - Tested

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Jean, I just came back from Mosport this weekend and have some prior commitments this weekend and cannot go (although I'd love to). I also have an issue with my right rear suspension. At Mosport I found the car to be twichy as I applied power out of a corner. I checked the right control arm and found it was moving a few millimeters where it bolts to the chassis. This is either a bad monoball (they were new) or the original control arm from my car which had been in an "incident" so the control arm may be bad. I need to address this since it is allowing the rear to steer the car and it wants to swap ends on me. I didn't really notice this last week at Watkins Glen, but then I was just happy the car was running and wasn't pushing it very hard.

Jeffrey,

Your car is also a 91 which may explain the brake difference. In an older turbo, the brakes did not have as good a feeling as stock and the pedal was not as firm since it is moving more brake fluid to the larger big reds.

I tested a number of things with the MPSC and with my torsion bar car which limits the amount of suspension alignment you can do I could never get the tires over about 160 degrees F which is outside the MPSC recommended pressures. Even pushing and sliding the car would not heat them up sufficiently. I can say that for my application, they were not the right tire and were unpredictable.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Geoffrey

Another time will be. It will take you a while to get the car rightly dialled, I suffered greatly as well and tried many different combinations of components and settings. A bot more difficult than yours probably because I wanted to keep some streetability. I will be testing the '74 TT at VIR this coming week end, the handling needs a lot of work, the chassis is so overpowered by the engine, but it will be fun.

Enjoy the car and congrats.
Jean
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, the torsion bar cars are difficult to get set up correctly. I think that beyond about 550hp the chassis really needs some reinforcement and very large tires to make it handle properly.

My car was very good out of the box at WGI. At Mosport (bumpier) I changed some of the compression settings which helped with that track. It also understeered more than I'd like so I'm going to change the rake a little to lower the front. Up the back straight which in my car is 2-6 gears it would get a little light feeling which I think is due to air under the car. We'll see. Good time to change it now since it has to be realigned after fixing the control arm.

Quick Reply: Racecar Project - Tested