964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Road fun with Nissan Skyline GTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:41 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road fun with Nissan Skyline GTR

Today we had the first real day of summer here in london. Beautiful warm and sunshine. So I gave the 965 a wash and treated it to some old Porsche 'hardwax' I had lying around (5 years old!). It came up beautiful...

So nice in fact I felt like taking her out for a little run in the early evening. There I was trundling along at 30mph in my local town (as I'm a little nervous at the moment after being flashed by a new speed camera last night...hence my other thread on buying a detector!). I pulled up at red lights when I heard a purposeful (read as loud!) exhaust coming up fast behind me, and cut up on the inside to the front of the queue. It was a bright blue Skyline with an enormous bore exhaust (and I guess no cat/silencer judging by the roar.)

Lights green and off he goes pretty quick. I follow behind at safe speed. i can see he's edgy but can't get past traffic ahead. I just watch as I've heard these Skylines are pretty damn fast. We come to a straight which is usually quite good for overtaking, but oncoming traffic means it's a bit touch and go. i feel that my Turbo would do it easily, but the Nissan guy doesn't feel comfortable, and continues in the queue.

Traffic clears and last slowcoach turns left as we approach the roundabout. Nissanman immediately takes the outside position ready for a quick takeoff. I hold back on the inside to gauge his mood. All clear, volume rises and off he goes, I follow at half throttle and notice he doesn't seem to have the confidence in the bends, I know I'm faster here, but as we come off the roundabout off he goes- wow, that is fast! He accelerated like a mad thing- too mad for me, I let him go.

Traffic again and I catch him up and notice that the bus lane on the inside is clear and restrictions are lifted at this time of the evening. I take my cue, and drop down to 2nd and give some throttle and give him a taste of that flat six music, i'm past him as we approach another large roundabout with lights, red.

We're both indicating left to turn on to the dual carriageway, slip road then 3 lanes. Lights go green, I know he wants to know.

Off I go, who says these turbos are slow off the mark. Redline in first, quick into second, he's there, I can hear him, second and I'm really flying, he's falling back, just cannot match that precise surge, quick into 3rd, oh my god, xxx...and its only a xxx limit. Lots of traffic looming, so I ease of the throttle, I'm well clear of Nismo so touch my brakes (showing off my newly fitted 3rd brakelight!). Where is he? ROAR!!! He just flies by- must be doing 120..what a maniac!

Traffic too much so he slams on the anchors, and we both cruise in our respective lanes, we play a little cat and mouse, lane changing and edging to and fro. He's clearly loving the view of my black beastie. After I crash down into second one last time and show him my perfectly formed *** once more, I tip my mirror to him and pull into the slow lane to say byebye. Not to be outdone, he accelerates really hard and as he flies by I see a 3 foot flame shoot out of his exhaust as he jumps into the smallest gap and vanishes off into the distance....

Not sure what exactly he had in there.... flaming exhaust and all! Standard GTR? Not a match for German engineering....

Last edited by 911addict; 12-15-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:43 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

do you have a 3.6 or 3.3 any mods good going mate
Old 04-23-2006, 02:43 AM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark,

Great stories. Proves that our cars, 14-15 years old, still able to play with more modern cars.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:57 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Mine's a 3.3. Standard I think, but it has a fat wad of bills, who knows for certain what's in there? It's fast, that's all I know!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Miguel
Pro

Delightfull description Mark.( we all know the feeling you so well described )

Cheers

Miguel
Old 04-24-2006, 06:55 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Had a guy at Santa Pod dragstrip last year in a skyline, thought he was in our league.
He mentioned he had driven a 911 before and that the handling was awful. He had two skylines, this was his best one out today.
I asked him what his 1/4 mile time was and when he told me, I told him mine. His face dropped and he quickly turned round and ran off.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:10 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Good story but I have to be the devil's advocate and burst your bubble....

How do you know for sure it was actually a GT-R? Alot of owners fix up their lesser modeled Skylines to look like GT-R imitations, no different that buying a "Turbo Look" 911 that only has a normally aspiration engine but looks identical to a Turbo.

Some hard facts:

1) The GT-R has an incredible Twin Turbo 2.6L Twin Cam Straight Six 24Valve Nissan RB26DETT engine - from the factory it was underated at 282hp, in reality this number is 320hp. An excellent custom downpipe and exhaust and upping the boost and you are flirting with 380-400hp. These cars have full time 4WD and launch hard...VERY HARD...

2) More than likely you raced the smaller Skyline GTS-T which has a 2.5L Twin Cam Straight Six 24Valve Nissan RB25DET engine - from the factory it was rated at 250hp -or-

3) The smaller yet Skyline GT-S which has a 2.0L Twin Cam Straight Six 24Valve Nissan RB20DET engine - from the factory it was rated at 205hp

These engines were put into production in 1989 so they are pretty old - no real new technology or all that modern, they stayed in production for 10years in the R32, R33 and finally the R34 Skylines. I guess new compared to the technology in the 965 engines.

I was one of the first to put a brand new Skyline engine in an old Datsun Pick-Up in the US and trust me it was pretty ballsy fast...I never lost a race in it on the street or track and I took down some big game with it.

There is no denying the power of your Euro 965....they are equally awesome, thats why I have one

Best regards and be careful doing 100 in a 50 zone.

Yasin
Old 04-25-2006, 05:00 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Yasin,
thanks. Do all the Skyline variants above have turbos? (ie. flames out the back!)
This guy was very quick at higher speeds, just didn't seem very sure round corners. Yes, I am careful (more so since so many speed traps are springing up here in the UK!)
regards,
Old 04-25-2006, 10:24 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

you can get flames out of any skyline, turbo or non turbo. if it was a GTR the corners are were it would have pulled away from you, 4WD and ****loads of power. i got a ride in one two weeks ago, it was a 1990 model skyline GTR with a single Trust T88-34HD Turbo. it reved to 9800 RPM. the owner had it dynod at 792 KW. it scared the **** out of me. i will never get back into that car ever. it had new R spec tyres front and rear, 255/35/18 on the front and 295/30/18 on the back. the guy accelerated from slow speeds in 4th gear and it lit the rear tyres.

put its still a jap car
Old 04-25-2006, 10:46 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911addict
Yasin,
thanks. Do all the Skyline variants above have turbos? regards,
No not all Skylines were Turbocharged only the top models were...there are lots of Normally Aspirated models that can shoot flames as well...shooting flames is burning un-used gas as it hits the hot manifold.

Yasin
Old 04-25-2006, 10:48 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951

put its still a jap car

and congratulations that comments just won you "JACKASS OF THE YEAR" award.

Moron....
Old 04-25-2006, 02:05 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

What is the skyline engine made out of, what materials ?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:06 PM
gaijin
Racer

I bought and drove a 1989 Skyline GT-R (R32) while residing in Japan some years back. The Skyline GT-R are very capable of producing 600 hp without internal mods.

I knew I wasn't shipping it back to the states so I left it with mods the original owner had (aesthetic). It was still a nice ride and quite light by standards of what was available locally in Japan at the time, sans RX-7 twin-turbo, Fairlady Z, etc.

Stock 2.6 liter, dual overhead cam, 24 valve, twin turbo charged, and intercooled producing 276 hp @ 6800rpm.

Electronically controlled all wheel drive system (ATTESA E-TS).

When the computer senses a loss of traction the system automatically sends up to 50% of the torque to the front wheels. Under normal conditions the car remains rear wheel drive.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:46 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

So you guys seem to be saying that 965's are no match for Skylines! Oh dear.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 PM
gaijin
Racer

Originally Posted by 911addict
So you guys seem to be saying that 965's are no match for Skylines! Oh dear.
Mark,

Not by a long shot! I can only speak for myself and what I've seen through the years of being a automobile enthusiast.

Porsche is a benchmark marque. Everyone in the car building business sets it goals to emulate Porsche. The Asian marques are no different, the same with the Americans.

Just look at the current Aston Martin V8 Vantage marketing. It is marketed against the Porsche 997 (albeit priced more towards the 997 GT3/TT versions).

Quick Reply: Road fun with Nissan Skyline GTR