Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Road fun with Nissan Skyline GTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, I would choose your 965 everytime compared to a rice rocket.
It is a shame you just bought those headers, you could have got some much better performing ones.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:29 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Nathan,
Really, what do you mean?
I just have the replacement heat exchangers (Dansk stainless steel). I don't think they're really for performance- maybe a little as they're smoother. I wanted to keep the heating & aircon which I understand would be compromised with 'headers'. But I'm no expert...
Next mod will be Sport Cat, but that's another discussion....
Old 04-26-2006, 02:14 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 911addict
So you guys seem to be saying that 965's are no match for Skylines! Oh dear.
I will run my 965 against a Skyline anytime

Christian
Old 04-26-2006, 05:01 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Me too.I'd have a go. Be good for a laugh, win or lose.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:04 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

slownrusty,

you must be an idiot. read what i wrote(besides the fact that i spelt put instead of but) the skyline i was taliking about easily out performes a 965, but i would still rather a porsche. do you know why? because it feels like its about to fall apart, like its made out of light gauge tin. porsches have set the bench mark for build quality.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Nathan,
Really, what do you mean?
I just have the replacement heat exchangers (Dansk stainless steel). I don't think they're really for performance- maybe a little as they're smoother. I wanted to keep the heating & aircon which I understand would be compromised with 'headers'. But I'm no expert...
Next mod will be Sport Cat, but that's another discussion....
The B&B or GHL headers (manifolds to us british) are worth another 25-30bhp and also the turbocharger will come on both quicker and sooner. Basically I had to have them. Of course like most things I am sure there are better ones out there, but these do work.

The fact they are stainless steel means less heat to the cabin. You certainly don't have to go without heat. Your Dansk are stainless anyway so you have lost heat anyway.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
The B&B or GHL headers (manifolds to us british) are worth another 25-30bhp and also the turbocharger will come on both quicker and sooner. Basically I had to have them. Of course like most things I am sure there are better ones out there, but these do work.

The fact they are stainless steel means less heat to the cabin. You certainly don't have to go without heat. Your Dansk are stainless anyway so you have lost heat anyway.

You should call the ninemeister/9m for your headers Nathan, they will unleash some real ponnies and i've never had trouble with heating, they might convince you to stick a better turbo on there too which will transform your car, you think it's quick now but that motor has a LOT more potential!!!!!
Click on
http://www.porschetuning.co.uk/
Old 04-27-2006, 04:32 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

nathan & jbl,
Sorry for being a bit slow here. Are you saying that I can do away with the heat exchangers and replace the manifold (headers) and this will give 25bhp+ alone, and not affect the heater or aircon?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:42 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Addict - The heater boxes is not what gives you power (or takes it away)..its the the way the headers are designed the shape of the pipes, the flow characteristics, the mandrels used, the diameter etc etc... By having a set of heater boxes to your headers or manifold (whatever you want to call it) just gives you only that.....HEAT....nothing else...here are my B&B - ceramic coated:

If I were to split open the heater boxes you would see some pretty nicely designed piping in there...compare that to the stock set-up off my car:

Hope that helps.

BTW JET951 - Me calling you a Jackass refers to your shallow comment when you said "but its still a jap car"...but whatever you are entitled to your (wrong) opinions...

Yasin
Old 04-27-2006, 05:28 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by JBL930
You should call the ninemeister/9m for your headers Nathan, they will unleash some real ponnies and i've never had trouble with heating, they might convince you to stick a better turbo on there too which will transform your car, you think it's quick now but that motor has a LOT more potential!!!!!
Click on
http://www.porschetuning.co.uk/
Thanks JBL. The thing is I have more tuning parts in my garage than I have time to fit them & no more money to pay anyone to fit them
Old 04-27-2006, 05:49 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

nathan & jbl,
Sorry for being a bit slow here. Are you saying that I can do away with the heat exchangers and replace the manifold (headers) and this will give 25bhp+ alone, and not affect the heater or aircon?
Sorry, it can be confusing if you are a noob to the world of Porsche tuning USA style.

On your car in its current configuration yes.

You have reduced the heating output by changing from stock heat exchangers to the Dansk heat exchangers. The reason is that you have stainless steel heat exchangers. Stainless steel does not radiate, dissipate or conduct heat as well as plain steel. This does two things, less heat to your cabin & more power from the engine.

The B&B or GHL exhaust manifolds ('headers' in USA language) can be bought with or without heat exchangers ('heat' in GHL or B&B language).
Without the heat exchangers they are lighter (better for acceleration & handling) and they will of course dissipate less heat (more power from the engine).

As JBL mentions, the turbocharger is your next step up.

Here are some of my tuning parts. I can't find the pics of my GHL's with heat, typical !

Old 04-28-2006, 05:04 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
Thanks JBL. The thing is I have more tuning parts in my garage than I have time to fit them & no more money to pay anyone to fit them

Sorry Nathan I was trying to quote you but address 911Addict but typed your name instead, I’m assuming you've got B&B or GHL headers.
911 Addict, my thoughts on heat exchangers, you would only not have heat exchangers if your building a race car and are throwing out all of your blowers and plumbing. The benefits of new headers (manifold) with a new turbo is unbelievable, I couldn't tell you exact figures but I bet if you called 9m/ninemeister and asked what a set of their headers with heat exchangers and their new custom ball race turbo, combined with a bit of re-mapping and dyno time you could be looking at adding well over 100bhp which will turn your car from quick into a starship!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Nathan & Yasin,
thanks for the education- much appreciated.

So in summary, for my car, my thoughts are:
1. As the seller updated my car with new Dansk s/s heat exchangers it gives me long life and a little more power. Any idea how much? I can't find anything on them via web search.
2. Even though I'd love to go for a 9meister header system, I can't justify a replacement just yet- until I have some money to burn!
3. As everything else is new(ish) and works fine, I will wait until things need replacing, and then will look at lightened flywheel, and more. My current flywheel is a 'sport' version. I presume this is heavier duty and gives strength for hard work, and won't give any performance benefits at all?
4. In the shorter term I am interested in sport cat & k&n to improve breathing (more reponse) and give more interesting sound at higher revs.

Last edited by 911addict; 04-28-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:24 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Addict - Be careful...you know what they say about a fool and his $$$....

A lighter flywheel..does not gain any HP at all...it will make the engine feel "frisky" and naturally reduces the overall rotating mass off the crank...especially noticeable at higher rpms...what do you loose?
1) Driveability in town, you will have to slip the clutch to get the car going, especially from a stop going up a hill...ever driven a car with a super light flywheel on the street - it sucks...on the track its awesome!
2) Larger drop in rpms between shifts as a result of the less rotating mass, more effort required to keep the engine in the power band.
3) Turbo cars like flywheels a little heavier than the high strung normally aspirated cars.

Having a flywheel that is in between "too light" and heavy stock is the key...it is a bit of a science.

I do not think those Dansks do not offer much in the way of improved performance...thats where a set of B&B or GHLs would have been the ticket...maybe keep an eye out for a used set...they pop-up from time to time..eBay, here and Pelican.

Do yourself a favor and throw the CAT away, I'm not sure if in the UK you need it for your MOT or not? Removing the car will give you an easy 10-15hp! No joke...

Yasin
Old 04-28-2006, 01:26 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I would have thought switching to stainless steel headers in the stock pattern might be worth 3-5% more bhp, say 15hp.

Quick Reply: Road fun with Nissan Skyline GTR