Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

oil tests. indipendant magazine

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 03:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 375 Posts

To me the response on the previous page shows how little I know about oil, and therefore have to find someone I trust to lead me straight.

The only certainty I've taken out of this thread is that 0W 40 is not recommended for my car. I think I've got 5W 40 in it [it's in storage in another country] so I should move up to a 15W oil on the next change FWIW: Last year, I had one day with a frosty morning, in New Zealand.

However, the notion that Mobil One is inferior to me still isn't proven. The fact that my car's hallowed manufacturer recommends that brand is enough for me. I think that point has been lost here in our A-type fervour to protect our babies.

Just my 2c worth. YMMV
Old 02-11-2006, 05:10 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 186 Posts

What about the Mobil 1 100,000 miles test where they drove the car straight for 100,000 miles and at the end of which they opened up the engine and found practically no wear on the engine components at all....
Old 02-11-2006, 06:53 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
To me the response on the previous page shows how little I know about oil, and therefore have to find someone I trust to lead me straight.

The only certainty I've taken out of this thread is that 0W 40 is not recommended for my car. I think I've got 5W 40 in it [it's in storage in another country] so I should move up to a 15W oil on the next change FWIW: Last year, I had one day with a frosty morning, in New Zealand.

However, the notion that Mobil One is inferior to me still isn't proven. The fact that my car's hallowed manufacturer recommends that brand is enough for me. I think that point has been lost here in our A-type fervour to protect our babies.

Just my 2c worth. YMMV
Try the bobistheoilguy website forums. There are at least 3 petroleum chemists who post there.

Last edited by ebaker; 02-15-2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

In the engine performance business you meet many folk in life.. Mobil/BP/Exxon has extensive test facilities and a pretty impressive one in Texas.. I have talked to a gentleman that works as a lab/research chemist and he states that it relates to money and the environment. The oil companies can and have made blends that reduce engine wear.. Zinc is a good additive, as Ebaker has mentioned, I have taken the "Energy Release" route because I have done break-down test in turbochargers and 930 bearing run tests.. I have seen this product in action in the outlaw sprint car circuit with remarkable results..
Old 02-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with JohnMcM that it looks like 0 -xx oil is to be avoided.
As for Porsche recommending Mobil1 ,for the majority of the aircooled days they used to recommend Shell !
Maybe Mobil give a better bulk discount and their product is OK for the current water cooled cars ?
I have used Valvoline for some time and the posted tests seem to show I was not mistaken for both quality and price !!!

Thanks for some very good information.

Geoff
Old 02-16-2006, 12:05 AM
marcvip
Banned

Mobil 1 is just marketing hype and mass produced(notice the bottle has

disclaimers against racing applications). I had switched to Royal

Purple Racing series after much research and happy I did BUT I just bought the

Lucas Racing series combined with the oil stabilizer. We'll see how they

compare.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:30 PM
sonny1
Banned

I have been using Royal Purple for Engine & Trans. almost as soon as they came out, there is not a better oil.,cheers,Sonny.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:09 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought a box of it to try. That test gave me a wake up call
Old 04-15-2006, 10:42 AM
gaijin
Racer

One common denominator we failed to address is the oil filter.

I found this article some time back:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 04-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Miguel
Pro

Jesus, this thread just reinforces the feeling that I know nothing, but nothing, about whatever makes the p car run...I have driven for years, without any doubt or concern. Since coming to Rennlist I have learned quite a lot from you guys, but, on the other hand, the more I learn, the more doubts increase...
My mechanic tells me to use a synthetic 5x40 Oil, and he personnally likes Mobil...I think i'll stick to his opinion, but sure am going to question him...
Cheers

Miguel
Old 04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

that test does not have anything to do with the way an oil will protect under use in an engine. it is misleading and gimmicky. check out the Used Oil Analysis section at www.bobistheoilguy

do a search under "porsche" ...check out the real world of oil analysis.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:30 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by bgiere
that test does not have anything to do with the way an oil will protect under use in an engine. it is misleading and gimmicky. check out the Used Oil Analysis section at www.bobistheoilguy

do a search under "porsche" ...check out the real world of oil analysis.
Here we go http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Quick Reply: oil tests. indipendant magazine