964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

EFI Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:32 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts
Default EFI Conversion

Has anyone actually pulled the trigger? Any actual resuls after driving etc... The $$ seem to be a closely held secret reserved for private messages for some reason.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Which type of EFI conversion are you talking about? I did one recently where the owner already had a K27-7200, Kokeln, B&B, 1bar boost spring, injector blocks from Pat Williams, stock head port sizes, stock internals with the exception of SC cams. I used a MoTeC M600 ECU and a single plug wasted spark ignition system. It produced 396hp and 414ft/lb of torque at the rear wheels on a Dynapack Dyno. The car had a slightly slipping clutch, so I could not tune the ignition timing as well as I would have liked to. I believe I could have found another 4hp to push it over 400rwhp.

There are plenty of companies that sell the injector blocks and then all you need is the ECU, wiring, and sensors to complete the conversion.

What do you mean "held secretly and by PM"?

Last edited by Geoffrey; 01-26-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im pulling the trigger as we speak. Im doing it myself with alittle help (Geoffrey is kindly one of them!)

Like Geoffrey said it simple enough, also depends if you goto a shop and get them to do it. I think the first step is just to replace CIS and get mapped igintion and fuel, there are many ECU out there will do this and they start from $400, you just need the blocks which are about $700. I am changing to wasted spark for ignition, a good used coil pack cost me just $30! the ignition wires, I will use the stock leads and just change the ends.
And then the dyno tune- which you could get a decent map setup for a few hours time- but not complete.

I think its something that more and more people are doing now, but before its a bit scare esp on the 964's hence prices being a bit touchy. For a rock bottom price doing it yourself with a ample ECU I think you could do it for about $2500- im being conservative tho - I mean expect to pay this no matter what, but to get it done by a shop they are about $6000 but you get what you pay for tho...

I havent completed it yet so this is my take so far- I may restate my opinon tho
Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Miles, How is the project going?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:10 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

My thoughts were on the Imagine conversion that was discussed at length a few months ago. It seemed that everyone was interested, everyone asked "How Much?", and to the best of my knowledge I never really saw a straight answer. My car has a ton of modifications already, but the EFI is really the only way to finish it off. Even though I already have the headers, exhaust, HF turbo, rod bolts, head studs, BOV, Tial Wastegate, intake etc.. it still seems that it will be another $15,000 to convert to EFI, twin plug ignition, and the HF2 Turbo, and EVO cams. I guess spare parts could be sold (HF Turbo, modified fuel head, HKS EVC, Andial Enrichment, and my SC 330 cams), but I cant imagine I would get a whole lot of $$ for these parts. I may be wrong. That being said, the results should see 500rwhp, which is a nice bump from the 390rwhp I have now. I am no wrench, so doing the work myself is not an option with two kids and a job. It will cost almost $3,000 to ship the car to KC and back to South Florida, and I guess the "we'll split the transport with you" is no longer an active offer, even though its still on the web site.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
My thoughts were on the Imagine conversion that was discussed at length a few months ago. It seemed that everyone was interested, everyone asked "How Much?", and to the best of my knowledge I never really saw a straight answer.
My take was that Stephen was not publishing a number since there are so many variables. For example, if you have a bone stock engine with 180,00 miles, then you might really need to do a rebuild and some upgrades as part of the process. Whereas if you are literally just doing the wiring & motec install, it might be far less.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:01 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct. There are so many things involved with doing a conversion as mentioned above. So a clear cut cost to do a kit is none existent. This is why each person is asked to fax their current build with their end goal in mind. This weeds out the guess work and a customer in the end that is not happy because bolting on the EFI kit did not yield what they would expect.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:55 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good EFI conversion is not cheap. Respectfully, I don't see how you can plan for a conversion, justify a conversion and only spend $2500 on a Porsche. The CIS system with an aftermarket iginition is a pretty potent combination for very little money compared for an EFI conversion netting out 50 - 80 more HP. Yes, drivability is improved with EFI, but at what cost?

That being said, I did my own conversion and budgeted $9000, but this included all the "while you're in there jobs" like machine work, complete rebuild and so on. My biggest mistake was not considering the incidentals such as plumbing for the intake, clamps, lines, hoses and dyno time. Even with someone else doing the job and tuning, you WILL need to adjust some of the values to take into cold start and so on. A good dyno with a good tech is going to be close to $200 per hour. By the way, my final build was double my budget.

I've been asked to convert a turbo recently and asked to keep it under $10,000 total. I turned it down because I can not guarantee that number. If you want a good system (and why wouldn't you since you already have a Porsche), you are half-way there with the ECU, ignition, wires, sensors and harness.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2006, 01:10 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
My thoughts were on the Imagine conversion that was discussed at length a few months ago. It seemed that everyone was interested, everyone asked "How Much?", and to the best of my knowledge I never really saw a straight answer. My car has a ton of modifications already, but the EFI is really the only way to finish it off. Even though I already have the headers, exhaust, HF turbo, rod bolts, head studs, BOV, Tial Wastegate, intake etc.. it still seems that it will be another $15,000 to convert to EFI, twin plug ignition, and the HF2 Turbo, and EVO cams. I guess spare parts could be sold (HF Turbo, modified fuel head, HKS EVC, Andial Enrichment, and my SC 330 cams), but I cant imagine I would get a whole lot of $$ for these parts. I may be wrong. That being said, the results should see 500rwhp, which is a nice bump from the 390rwhp I have now. I am no wrench, so doing the work myself is not an option with two kids and a job. It will cost almost $3,000 to ship the car to KC and back to South Florida, and I guess the "we'll split the transport with you" is no longer an active offer, even though its still on the web site.
You should call Pat Williams Racing in Memphis, he is my mechanic and has done all the work on all of my Porsches. He really knows his stuff and he will shoot it straight to ya and not BS ya when it comes to building a car.

I highly recommend him.

Christian
Old 01-26-2006, 04:37 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

I heard he recently raised his price for an EFI conversion from $6000 last year to over $10,000 this year
Old 01-26-2006, 06:10 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

^I don't what he charges for the EFI, but he's worth every penny. I can tell ya is that he is one of the best and he's extremely thorough. When he is done than it's done, if ya know what I mean.

Christian
Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
HYK123
Instructor

My car is in the process of getting it done.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by HYK123
My car is in the process of getting it done.
Yes it is
Old 01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Strokher Racing
Instructor

I still have no idea why you guys say Porsches are expensive to work on

Eric Hood
Old 01-26-2006, 11:41 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

We know yours is self induced