964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

info on electromotive tec2

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:10 PM
klein90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on electromotive tec2

I'm looking over my parts pile and see my car has an electromotive tec2 sysytem. I went to the web site and only see info on tec3. Is electromotiven stuff good and is tec2 need to be updated. And does the new software work with tec2. I will call and talk to the tech but would like your imput on this set up.
Again I'm new to Porsche and thankful for your imput.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-25-2005, 07:35 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to P-cars! It is hard to erase the smile Electromotive equipment and software is quite good. I have a Tec2 as well and you can download the WinTec2 software off of their webiste IIRC it is under support. The TEC3R software will not run on a TEC2. Some early Tec2's may not have been equipped with the EPROM to run the WinTec software, but if you have laptop download the software and get a serial cable to plug into your Tec and see what you have in your bin file for parameters. Here is a useful forum for many different EFI setups including Electromotive: http://www.efi101.com/forum/

Also download the product manual and read through it so you understand the fundementals of the parameters you have power over and how to change them. Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:44 PM
klein90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help charlie the EFI site is very helpful.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your welcome, I used that site to gather some information on how to use a wideband O2 sensors analog output capabilities (Innovate for ex.) to run the TEC as well as a wideband gauge.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The TEC II is an older ECU from Electromotive and I think you'll find that it does not have enough table resolution to properly control the turbocharged Porsche engine. It has an 8x8 table for fuel and ignition which will leave you with compromises and you'll find the engine is not as crisp as it should be. Further, it does not have an air temp table so it cannot compensate for the wide range of air temps your engine will see. This will leave you with an engine that has inconsistent air fuel ratios. Further, I've seen too many TEC II engines that have been tuned on a dyno (hot air intake temps) and then run lean on the street (much lower air intake temps), often resulting in engine damage.

The wire harness is a simple screw lock system which is not waterproof and has been the source of many issues with both the TEC I and TEC II systems. I'd encourage you to look for an updated ECU.

Welcome to EFI101 and perhaps I'll see you in one of the classes in 06.

Quick Reply: info on electromotive tec2