Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

race anything exotic

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my 930 (yes I know it is not a 965) but I just had to join in the fun!!!

I have andial fuel enrichment, b&b exhaust, K27 turbo, K&N Cone air intake, Andial I/C...

The only car that I have had the chance to race thus far is an Elise. A buddy of mine was talking major sh*t a couple of weeks ago and we went from a 30mph roll.... He jumped out on me about 2 car legnths each time and then by the top of second gear, I was SCREAMING by him. Those little cars are quick.

I am supposed to race a friend of mine and his 88.5 Testarossa later this month...I am also going to race another friend of mine and his 2003 E55 when our schedules align...(I am actually quite nervous about the E55)....

I will keep you guys posted!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:02 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know many of you guys have some serious equipment.
As someone with a standard 965 (at the moment!) what exotica will a standard or lightly modified (eg. just 1bar spring) 965 beat in the real world? I guess there is more to it than just comparing the written 0-60 times on paper. Any experiences?

Last edited by 911addict; 04-12-2006 at 05:59 AM. Reason: modify question
Old 04-29-2006, 01:05 PM
prosper
Instructor

Default My street race on 1994 Turbo 3.6 back in 1995-96

During my college day back in LA,I own a 1994 Turbo 3,6 Black on Black.But it used (only about 5kmiles when I bought it).And completely stock.It came with the sport seat option.I start modified it with:
a. Gemballa Springs(lowered the car a bit)
b. Ruf upper strut bar
c. Stainless steel braided lines
d. 1 bar wastegate springs
e. wheel spacer (forget the size)
f. K&N filters
g. Tech Art fog light and brake cooling ducts (painted it red)
h. Tech Art front spoiler splitter (ala Turbo S)
i. Gear shift **** from the 993GT2
j. Tech Art Exhaust by pass pipe (make the exhaust very loud and backfiring sound when off throttle)
k. Tech Art aluminum pedal and rest pedal
l. Turbo 3,6 aluminum door sills

I almost do a 3,8liter conversion at Andial,but since I am not planning to own the car for a long time,I decide not to do it.(I am about to graduate and go back home)

So in term of engine performance,the horsepower increase is not much,probably max 10hp from stocks.
That time I have many friends with many different sport car and this is my experience:
a. With 1994 NSX
I race this car on the street just outside my school,On first gear,he manage to get ahead about half car length,but at second gear I blew him far away.We try it 2 times,and he give up.
Then we enter freeway,this time, he is so so far behind.I had to slow down to wait for him.
His comment,he never been beaten so easily before by other car he race.

b. With an Impala SS
from the street near the school and on the freeway,there is this black impala SS keep folloing me.This time I feel funny about my car,because it seems to lack power,and although I am able to gain distance slowly but sure,still it do not seem right,cause I have to really push the car all the way,yet the power is not there.I take it back to Porsche of Beverly Hills to check,and they found the problem.the hose between the pipe and the intercooler are loose,causing lost of Turbo pressure to the Engine.That explain why it is so hard for me to win the race against a virtually stock impala SS

c. With a 1995 Mercedes Benz 600SL V12
My friend own a 600SL,he do some chips and filter to it.We race on the freeway,and even I am ahead of him, I cannot really loose him.That car have great top end speed.but still no match for the Turbo 3.6.

d. With Dodge Viper (early 93 model,the original Viper is it the R/T10? and with F355 coupe.
That time I was hanging out with the NSX guy above who live on apartment building next door,and with the F355 guy,who live in the same apartment building as me.We were at the garage talking about car at 1:30 o'clock in the night(morning actually).Suddenly a friend of a friend show up in an Viper(used one) that he just bought that morning.He challenge us to race.
The NSX guy know that his car is the slowest,say he is sleppy and want to go to bed (an excuse)so that live the F355,Viper and Turbo 3,6.
We drive to a nearby wide street (Olympic Blvd.)and start the race from street light to the next street light.Each of the car have one driver and one passenger,to be fair in weight.It was in the middle of the night so the street is empty and we can use the street light(traffic light) as our chrismast tree.
Race one: when the light turn green,the F355 move ahead of my Turbo3,6 about half car length,while the Viper still spinning the wheel stand still,then by second gear the Turbo 3,6 was ahead of the F355 and keep gaining distance,until the next red light.The Dodge Viper was dead last
Race two:the exact same thing happen,Turbo 3,6 win again all the way after 2nd gear,but I think this time the F355 is dead last cause he brake far before the red light.
Race Three:while we are waiting for the green light,the passenger on the F355,who right beside me(on the driver seat of my Turbo3,6),talk to me,say that my whole lower engine part was glowing red,when I was accelerating in front of the F355.What he mean must be the whole manifold and turbo that glow red hot.And suddenly the light turn green,the F355 launch far ahead,the Viper is not spinning to much,which left me still standing still not knowing the race had start.
This time, I shift like crazy,and by the 3rd gear I pass both car again.Still I manage to stop just about 1 feet into the next red light intersection due to some heavy late ABS braking.The F355 slowed far before the stop light,while the Viper was emotional,and brake late and stop in the middle of the intersection.Viper that time do not have ABS.Luckily no other car is on the street,otherwise,some body could T-bone that Viper.We decide it is time to stop the race,cause it is getting too dangerous.I got up to 120mph that time before I brake.

e. with 1996 993 Carrera 2
Another friend of mine just bought a 993 C2.He came to my apartment and challenge me to a race.This time we take it to Sepulveda Blvd just beside 405 freeway near the cemetery for veterans.It was about 10 o'clock in the night.
Race one:993 win up to 1nd gear by about 1 car length,on 2nd gear I manage to catch up,and blew away from him at the end of 2nd before I shift to 3rd gear by far (2 car length)
Race two:exactly like Race one
Race three:This time I am so emotional,that I try to win from 1st gear.So I rev the engine to 3500rpm,and drop the clutch.But what happen is my Turbo 3,6 start fishtailing heavily,and as hard as I try to control the steering wheel,the car just do not go straight,I think the front tire lift up the ground a little bit,so it do not have any traction to control the steering.I soon let go the gas pedal because the car just go straigth to the cemetery.Right before it about to go to the ditch,I somehow get steering agian and manage to get back on the road unharm.
That time it is 1996 and I am about to sell the car and go home.I do not want to total lost the car,so I call it quit racing for the night.Even I lost a 1st gear,I still win after 2nd gear to the 993.And my turbo 3.6 still have turbo lag,while the 993 is Normally aspirated.

f. I was driving alone in the freeway at 11 o'clock in the night at about 70mph.
Suddently there is this bright highbeam coming fast from behind and past me with loud exhaust.It was a Integra or Civic (I forget).A tune one with big diameter exhaust,and lowered wheel.That time it was the early start of the import tuning trend.I was **** off,and I drop from 4gear to 3rd gear and slam it right at the point when they are about 2 car length after passsing me.In just about what it take to red line in 3rd gear I already equal,and after I shift I pass them far.Then I wait in front,and slowing down,but this time they obidiently never try to passs me again.They just cruise and keep their distance away from me.I guess now they know the diferrent between loud Honda exhaust and loud and POWERFULL Porsche Turbo exhaust
I use to joke with my friend,that you can hear those honda exhaust sound 1minute before and after they gone from your sight.the sound is loud but the car is not fast at all,after all it is a small Honda.

g. This is not a race,but ok here is the story.It was 3o'clock in the night,and we are gathering with a lot of friends.Suddently, I want to go out from some fresh air and ask a friend (cute girl) to accompany me.Since she is cute,I take a long road up the Bell Air,and end up on the 405 South.There are part of 405 south near the museum that the road is slightly down.And I really try to do top speed this time.Beside the road incline down help the speed.I am concentrating on the road ahead,and by the 5th gear, I start to ask how fast we are going.I do not dare to take my eyes from the road,and she look at the speedo and say very calmly" about 185mph".I was shock and a glance at the speedo confirm it,and my normal mind tell me to start slowing down right away.So I ease of the gas pedal and slowly hit the brake.Frankly I do not feel it was that fast,because a couple of hours before I take many drinks.Yes I know this is DUI.And I know it is not good,and I will never again do it.What sucks is,it is the highest speed I ever experience in any car ( I own 318is,Lexus GS300,Mercedes E500 before the Turbo3,6),and I do not really feel it,because I was a little bit drunk.Heck I do not think I will do that kind of speed if I am not drunk. That time I thougt I was doing like 150 or max 160.But at least I know once I manage to go to 185mph with a cute girl as my witness.

h. I have this friend of mine leave in Orange County.He keep saying that his modified Integra VTEC (top of the line Integra during 1995) are able to stay with NSX.So I say to him,why don't you buy my car, because I want to sell it.So he ask for a test drive.Then I go to Orange County to his house.I test drive his car first, and I say,ok your car is fast (it is not that fast though),then I take him for a ride in my car.Right after the Turbo kick in,he was so surprise with the speed and acceleration,he scream to me to slow down(it was on street not freeway),so I slow down and tell him to drive it.He start driving the car,and since he feel the car is quite ok (before the turbo),he just punch the gas,right at about 3000rpm,when the turbo start to kick in.So the car just shoot forward,and he was not ready, the car hit the limiter red line,and he was so shocked,he suddenly turn into a smaller street still at first gear, take of the gas suddenly which cause the car to hickup,until the car engine stop because it was too slow and he do not hit the clutch.Then he say,your car is scary fast.I was happy but sad.Happy because my car got compliment,sad because he do not want to buy my car,because he think it was too fast for him and scary too.

I finally sold the car to some young guy from San Diego.I really miss that car,some times I even dream of driving that car during sleep, and I still remember the smell of that car up to today 10 years after I sell it.
I miss my Turbo 3.6
Old 04-30-2006, 05:17 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

prosper,
Great stories, sounds like you had a lot of fun!
Old 04-30-2006, 07:23 AM
prosper
Instructor

Default It was fun all right

911addict,

Yes,I have too much fun that time,

hopefully I can find a way to immigrate to USA (legally),
and have some fun again

Until that time come,
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ferrari's: 355: not even close
Lambo's: no
Lotus: turbo 4 espirit: not even close
Vipers: about 7 or 8, none were ever close (including GTS's)
RX-7's: 2, both were 20k engines both dead-even races up to 160 when their engines blew
300TT: 2, one was an easy beat, the other was not
Supras: about 20 or so, got them all, very close on some as they have 500hp more, but no traction
bikes: any 600 is toast
Corvettes: all, maybe 30? including a ZR-1 & a modded LT-4
Mustangs: all, including a Saleen with 415rwhp (against me at 275rw at the time: go figure)

Losses: 700hp 965, GX-R750, that's about it.

Mark
Old 05-03-2006, 02:40 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Raced new Ferrari F430 with the paddle shifting...He would jump me first at about 65mph, then my turbos would do their job above 4K rpm's and slowly pull ahead of him (til about 140mph), then traffic. Raced a black twin turbo Lotus two days ago, no problem taking him.

Jaime

Quick Reply: race anything exotic