Help - I need to pass NC emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:05 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - I need to pass NC emissions

Just moved here from WA and I am faced with emisson testing. They do a visual inspection so there is no way to pass w/o the cats in place. Anyone have a stock exhaust system from a '91-'92 turbo they want to sell?

This is very bad news after I have done so many mods

Worst case, I have to sell the car
Old 08-23-2005, 07:15 PM
mdd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a complete exhaust system from my '91 Turbo. It's still all bolted together like it came off. I also have the air injection spider and the OEM oil lines if you need them. I'm west on I-40 from you just past Winston-Salem.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:53 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

This is Chris Brown from Charlotte. I almost bought your car when you were in Texas, just as you bought an older M5.....

Anyway I'll buy the car from you now!!!!

Let me know. Even if we dont do the deal, come to the DE at VIR in September. Awesome track 2 hours from you!

Chris
Old 08-24-2005, 12:08 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - PMs sent to both of you.

I assume living in NC means limited mods to your car. Anyone know if there is a limit to how much you have to spend to try to bring the car up to spec before given an exemption?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff;

You mean you didn't have to go through the same equipment inspection/testing in Washington? I'm moving up to Vancouver, WA and was wondering about the states emission testing requirements.

Good luck getting your Turbo smogged.

Regards,
Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 AM
pete77930
Racer

Jeff, I live in Asheboro and if your car is 95 model year or older the just do a visual inspection...make sure lights work, horn, etc...nothing major, don't even sweat putting a stock exhaust or anything on.. 96 and newer they just plug an inspection thing into the obd2 port. And if some ***** wont let it pass for god knows why, PM me, we have plenty of shops out here in the country that will slide you on through.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:58 AM
1 of 20
Track Day

As an aside - I've been struggling to get my 92 Turbo past Texas emissions for the past month or so and I have cats on the car. I'm within a hundreth or so on the 25mph ASM test here in Texas, but as of this writing 3 tests and 3 failures..............They test the car's emissions here at idle, at 15mph and at 25mph on a dyno.......................
Old 08-24-2005, 10:34 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses - I might take you up on it Pete, but does inspection have to be in my county?

I was reading through the inspection manual and they do offer waivers if the car was modified and can't be repaired because the parts are no longer made or not available. Porsche may still make the cats, but GHL and B&B don't (at least I don't think they do). Anyway the cost of bringing the car up to standards would be several thousand dollars. I'll call DMV and see if I can make some headway there.

Hal: I lived in central WA so there were no inspections there. I don't know about Vancouver - you would have to check the WA DMV website.

1 of 20: what part of the test are you failing? Stock exhaust and you fail? I am guessing someone gutted the catalyst and it is now just a bypass. Go visit Sam at Protechnik - he claimed he could tune my car (GHL headers/muffler and no cats) to pass. I never had it done because I left the state just days before testing was required. It's a pain, but I think adjustment of fuel mixture should get you to pass, but it will need to be reset after you do.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 AM
mdd
Instructor

Unfortunately, Jefferey lives in one of the several counties that require a tail pipe sniffer test in addition to the visual. Passing the test without a cat is possible but very difficult. I went through the same issues with my modified '91 Turbo. Driving to another county for the test doesn't help since the requirement is determined by your registration.

Jefferey, here is the guidline for exemption:

(ii) For 1981 and later model year vehicles, the minimum repair
expenditure is two hundred dollars ($200.00), including parts
and labor costs.
(iii) The cost of repairs to correct or replace emissions control
devices that have been removed, disconnected or rendered
inoperable shall not be applied toward the minimum repair
expenditure for any vehicle, regardless of model year.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 AM
mdd
Instructor

Jeffrey, I just sent you a PM about my OEM exhast. Much less than "several thousand dollars".
BTW: I tried the DMV exemption route with no luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:59 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by mdd
Jeffrey, I just sent you a PM about my OEM exhast.
Shouldn't that really be my OEM exhuast
Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 PM
1 of 20
Track Day

mdd,

We have a similar waiver or exemption here in Texas. Why specifically was your DMV exemption denied?? Did you meet the requirements?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:32 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark:

I think I sent a PM back in response. I am interested in your exhaust system - I just want to see what other options I might have. Here is the paragraph of the manual I was referring to:

"A waiver may be issued for a tampered or removed component if it can be verified the part in question or one similar to it is no longer available for sale. The local DMV Inspector/Auditor will determine if the part is not available or if it is no longer manufactured."

from paragraph 2(h) of Section 19A NCAC 03D .0550 WAIVERS FROM EMISSIONS TEST REQUIREMENTS
Old 08-24-2005, 12:43 PM
mdd
Instructor

Colin: Yes, it's the exhaust that came off of your car. I offered the exhaust to Dan when he bought the car from me but he didn't have a use for it. Were you ever able to get those GHL headers fixed ?

1of20: I didn't actually file for the exemption. The DMV office told me that they wouldn't even consider the exemption until after all emissions equipment was in place. They even offered to help me find a source for the "no longer avalable" parts. So no, I did not meet the requirment since they knew the parts were avalable.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 PM
pete77930
Racer

You don't need to go through any of that...Go to a shop out here in the country and slip the guy a 20 for his time and effort and he'll pass you. I have to do the same thing for the window tint on my bimmer. This is North Carolina. Once you get out in the country things still work around the good ole boy network. you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. you just hafta know where to look. Gotta love livin outside city limits.

Quick Reply: Help - I need to pass NC emissions