Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is a real Ruf!!

Guys,
What really makes a Ruf a Ruf?
I'm tired of seeing guys brag so much abt a car having a Ruf VIN or Porsche VIN. Today if I were looking for a 930 turbo, I'd grab Geoffrey's car over a "RUF" 930 turbo. Why? Well for a lesser amount, I get a very well tuned car with phenomenal performance and a reliable engine. What more can one want. I rather pull away from another super car in Geoffrey's car than to be behind it in a Ruf. Dont get me wrong, I love Ruf conversions and I love my ride but I'm just tired of seeing buyers looking for "genuine Ruf's". What is a geniune Ruf? One with a Ruf VIN...well keep reading below and be surprised.

I remember seeing abt a year back over at the Ruf Germany website under the cars section for sale. They were selling a Ruf 930 turbo. Hmmm ok so it's a genuine Ruf with a Ruf VIN? Not! Apparently it was just another Ruf conversion like mine with the same specs as what they offer for the BTR package. It had a Porsche VIN and NOT a Ruf VIN but Ruf themselves were marketing it as a Ruf. Believe it or not so isit a Ruf or not? If the manufacturers themselves could market that car as a Ruf, I do belief thats enough to put a Ruf badge on it.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Elitism.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Sameer,

I agree with Jean, it's a form of elitism....which let's face it is a subset of an elite interest in itself, Porsches.

FWIW: If I was looking for a RUF, I'd say genuine is when it was a RUF package i.e. they built it or did a major coversion in house [engine, intstruments, wheels etc].
Old 07-08-2005, 05:50 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

From a collectors point of view,RUF should have a RUF vin # or else it will be a RUF conversion which probably is not as desirable or i should say as elite as a geniune one.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sameer,

Ruf cars have a vin that starts with W09..... Which you sort of touched on. What makes them better... well I guess just the reputation that they have earned through the years. I liken that to comparing a real Cobra and a replica. A good replica is a much better car, but not worth as much.......

Michael
Old 07-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to hear you guys comments, thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM
RUFBTR
Intermediate

The Dallas Centre seems to make the distinction between conversion and Ruf VIN cars

http://www.rufautocentre.com/usedcars/index.asp
Old 07-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

If you have seen the RUF fascination video then you will know the difference.

The genuine RUF's (with Ruf vin #) are built from the chassis up by hand.

This video is a must see for all Porsche / RUF fanatics

With a modified Porsche/RUF you have no real idea who did what exactly. You'll get lots of stories about the history but how will you really know. With a RUF vin# you know exactly who and what has been done.

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: What is a real Ruf!!