964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Going to buy a wideband.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going to buy a wideband.......

im going to get a wideband, seeing as i am working on Efi-ing and also i need to see what my mods are doing to my engine at mo anyway...

I think www.zeitronix.com are the best so far in terms of complete kit, (tach input and other nice seletion of inputs) nice lcd screen and the EGT sensor is about $70 more.

Has anyone installed one on our cars?, i understand you need to put the sensor after the turbo 2-3" - it cant go in the narrowband hole as theres too much back pressure etc there and also i want a constant a/f ratio shown.

So also if i undestand correctly the EGT is to show that simply your engine is not getting too hot and the igntion is probably retarding it if it does to prevent the infamous detenation... something i dont want and also because i want to track it soon.

One other thing, can we get a boost reading from that sensor on the back of the IC or is this in the wrong position? there boost sensor is another 100 bucks more... things add up quickly!

Anyone care to share what they think of my plan if i im doing the right thing,

Old 06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 06-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Zeitronix installed in my car, very happy with it.
I added the boost sensor and EGT, haven't installed EGT sensor yet.
Have an empty cat so I put the o2 sensor in the muffler, shouldn't sit after the cat if you have one.

There is a picture of the o2 sensor installation i bit down on this page:
http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?...pare&start=378

The o2 sensor has to sit straight up, very hard to find a good place for it.
There is a slot for it where i put it.

I have an electronic boost control with boost reading on the console, took manifold pressure to the Zeitronix from the same source. But I think I have an idea where you can find mainfold pressure up front on a stock car, used to adjust head light height.

I also found the pin to read rpm so I can now log rpm, boost, AFR and EGT to my laptop.

Anyway, of all the stuff I have installed this is among the best, can really recommend it. My AFR changes slowly over time, this is really good to have.

EGT doesn't seem to be as important since you basically need to read from all 6 cylinders to really know whats going on, I plan to install it anyway.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

great stuff Staffan, yes it seems the best tool out there.
I couldnt see the picture on that link tho....

So the sensor should be ontop facing down do you mean.... probs need to take off my muff to do that then...

Your electronic boost controller, do you need to change the wastegate at all, how does it control the boost?

Say im running 1bar on the track hows the best thing then to see if the engine is doing ok? you think EGT sensor will be the next best thing to monitoring each cylinder? who does that anyway?

Have you got any pics of how you took a reading of the boost from the manifold pressure. im a bit confused here- is the stock boost sensor on the back of the IC any good to tap into that and take a reading. or do i need that boost sensor from Zeitronix as well?

Cheers
Old 06-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tried the link and it worked for me, what happens when you click on the link ?

Yes, o2 sensor facing down otherwise you could get in trouble with condensation destroying the sensor.
I removed the muffler and took it to a stainless steel welder (spelling), I could give you the exact measurement for where to put it, do you have a stock muffler ? It has to sit after the turbo.

I have a Blitz dual selenoid boost controller, running 0.9 bar on the track, 1 bar for thrills on the street. No change to the WG, just some plumbing needed. I explain when/if you get there.

I am no expert, some say EGT on one cylinder doesn't tell you much, some say it does.
You could install 6 EGT sensor and have a rotating switch to read all 6, I won't do that.
I have seen installations with 6 EGT sensors, since my car isn't heavly modified it feels like over the top. So I have done the wiring, just need to weld (spelling) a bung on the collector, engine should be on and at 2.500 rpm when drilling the headers so that you don't get metall stuff through the turbine.

You need the boost sensor from Zeitronix, you get the manifold read from a small hose running under the carpet, left side in. Since I removed all my carpets I could point you to the exact location. The manifold pressure is used to move the headlights up and down with the thumb switch left of the ignition key.

Will be offline for a couple of weeks I PM my phone number if you have more questions, glad to help.

Quick Reply: Going to buy a wideband.......