Center AC Vent - modification/adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 02:48 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Center AC Vent - modification/adapter?

All,

I have an idea that I would like some help from all of you. Summer time is coming up fast and it is getting very hot out here is Southern California.

I would like to make an adapter to attach to the center AC vent to direct air to my face, sort of like the one racers have in their cars to get fresh air.

My AC works great and produces cold air. But we all know that our cars don't have such great AC as modern cars. Another factor is that I am short, and need to sit fairly close to the steering wheels to be able to depress the clutch fully. The AC vent does not adjust that much (side to side), and the angle does not get to my body at all. The AC will not get the car cold, but just nice and cool. But if I could get it to blow the cold air to my face/body it would be much more comfortable because this car produces a lot of heat, especially in stop and go traffic.

Any ideas for the pipe/adapters? I am thinking of something from Home Depot with a like 3-4 inch flexible pipe...

Regards,

Sonny
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonny,
Cant answer your question but your interior is in imaculate condition especially with all that carbon. Very neat and characterful
Old 05-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sonny, very nice indeed, just a safety question, have you disabled the passenger airbag because of the carbon ?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:05 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Staffan
Sonny, very nice indeed, just a safety question, have you disabled the passenger airbag because of the carbon ?
Staffan,

No, I don't have disable the passenger airbag at all. My carbon fiber kit is an aftermarket kit that I installed myself and it does not interfer with the deployment of the airbag. It is just a trim piece that is just a little bit smaller than the original airbag cover. So, it will deploy as normal. How do I know? Because I had experienced it first hand. . It happened on my previous car, '97 Carrera S. It is in heaven now.

Sameer,

Thank you very much. I try the best I can and add a little bit each time and try to do it tastefully. . Here is another picture just for you. I know you love pictures. Btw, I love your car.

I got a section of flexible alunimum pipe, 3" in dia. from home depot. I am going to try to fit it to the 6"x 2 3/4" openning on the AC vent. It will be totally removable and hook up only when needed. When I am done I will post a picture for anyone that is interested. Obviously, I am the only one so far... .

Regards,

Sonny
ps: I installed a nice amp, and subwoofer system (made it myself) 2 weeks ago. It turned out great, and all removable too.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ive been looking for a wood effect kit cant find one in the uk
where did you put the sub do you have any pics
your carbon set up looks very nice
Old 06-09-2005, 10:32 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Take a look of at this link... http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dtdvo/...Eup9CBpFaZoTuv

To see the sub setup.... If you can't see it, let me know.

The carbon setup is not factory... and some do not like it for that reason, but I like a lot. The color is beautiful. I installed it myself a few years ago.

It is the stick on type and can be removed without damage of the leather below.... I got it from www.mashaw.com . I know Mike, the owner, because I used to work near his home.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 06-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Sonny, you have first hand experience of airbag deployment, I haven't.
After seeing this video I understand it must be a dramatic thing.
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/airbag.html

It's your call, but I would be worried about what will happen with the carbon fibre if the airbag deploy. The plastic stock piece doesn't worry me, but the sharp carbon fibre does.
The explosives sits just behind your carbin fibre piece, pointing towards your passengers face.
The trim piece will probably go downwards and the top plastic one will go upwards, it seems to be designed that way, but personally I wouldn't count on it.

Sonny, sorry for being such pain about this, just felt I couldn't leave this topic without writing this.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:06 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Staffan
Sonny, you have first hand experience of airbag deployment, I haven't.
After seeing this video I understand it must be a dramatic thing.
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/airbag.html

It's your call, but I would be worried about what will happen with the carbon fibre if the airbag deploy. The plastic stock piece doesn't worry me, but the sharp carbon fibre does.
The explosives sits just behind your carbin fibre piece, pointing towards your passengers face.
The trim piece will probably go downwards and the top plastic one will go upwards, it seems to be designed that way, but personally I wouldn't count on it.

Sonny, sorry for being such pain about this, just felt I couldn't leave this topic without writing this.
Staffan,

Thanks for the information and link ( I could not see the video).

I would not worry about it in term of the carbon trim piece on top of the passenger airbag trim piece. In my car, the carbon piece is a little smaller than the actual piece of aluminum that covers the passenger airbag. From my accident in 2000, that piece bent down and allowed the airbag to deloyed as normal. When I install the carbon trim on my Turbo, I thought about that for a while and installed it with that in mind (no obstruction on the top part).

I do have some concerns about the 1st generation airbag that is our Turbo. My understand is that 1st gen airbag has very powerful explosion power. This might hurt quite a bit. I am thinking of replacing my steering wheel with a non airbag 930S wheel. But I am not sure. Would a 1st gen airbag better than without one if I get into an head on accident?

When I had my accident, in a Carrera S '97, the aibag deployed very fast. In fact, I did not even see it and it was all over and deflated already. When I got home that night, after a hospital visit (check up), my face was cover in gun powder, but nothing was burnt.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 06-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

ok, sounds like you have it covered, great.
Just couldn't leave it, I am removing the passenger airbag at the moment to save weight and spend some time trying to understand how this thing works and thought about your carbon fibre piece.

I wouldn't remove the airbag for safety, I am worried after removing the stock steering wheel, won't install 6-point harness before installing a roll cage. Will be installed next week though.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:36 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks Staffan,

BTW, I made the adapter for my AC vent out of spiral soft plastic pipe about 1 1/2" OD. I attached to it a piece of wire cord to be able to bend to the direction that I want. Works great so far. But I am unable to secure it to the air vent very well. The good thing is that it is totally removable.

I will try to take a picture of it later on.

Regards,

Sonny

Quick Reply: Center AC Vent - modification/adapter?