Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Just Bought 3.6Turbo, won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:51 PM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Just Bought 3.6Turbo, won't start!

I just had my 3.6 turbo delivered yesterday. The problem is, it won't start when cold. It turns over, I smell gas, but just when it starts to catch, it dies. If you give it gas, it "floods" and you have to wait 20 minutes before it will start to catch again. I finally got it running last night and once it was warm, it would then start right up. When driving it, it didn't feel like it was pulling that hard so somethings not right.

I've reset the DME with no luck and have new one on order. The previous owner swares this happened ever since I had the pre-purchase inspection done (where they did a leak down test.) I was going to pull off the intercooler tonight to see if I could see any loose hoses, possibly check the auxilary air valve (AAV).

Any other ideas?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

sounds like an air leak, pretty common. There is an orange o-ring that seals the IC to the throttle body. If you can see any orange at the neck of the IC, this may be it. Its a common problem, especially if the IC has been removed. Its happened to pretty much everyone with one of these cars at some point based on the number of threads on this issue. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:02 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome kfitzpat9. Once you get your Turbo 3.6 up and running you will cherish it!

Check all hoses going to the intercooler for any small leaks or cracks or loose connections. Also check the o-ring that bogey1 describes. My car was recently diagnosed with loose connections into the intake manifold not related to the IC so there are numerous lines that could cause gremlins. Unlike your problem, my car would start when cold but not when hot. I pick it up tomorrow and then run it at Lime Rock on Saturday so we'll see if all is well for me! Good luck to you! (post pics of your car)
Old 04-22-2005, 06:59 PM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input and I'll try it tonight and see where I get.

In taking off the intercooler, I noticed a wiring harness that is interfering/hitting with the linkage on the throttle body. It almost looks like the throttle body is pinching the wiring harness but it is tight against the intake. Sorry to keep posting these crazy questions, but I'd like to eventually DRIVE this car and am trying to figure out how to properly route the harness!

Crazy question #2. There is a small 1" X 2" squarish device below (and on the same bracket) as the vacuum limiter. It has several 1/8" hoses connected to it. The hose in the back is about 3" long, makes a u-turn and goes nowhere. I am assuming Porsche didn't design it this way, but I thought I'd check with the experts.

I'll post some pictures of this device as well as the car as soon as my membership becomes official.

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2005, 12:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Welcome aboard Kfitzpat9. As the good Dr said you will really love the car once she is up and running right. You may think about becoming a member. The ability to post pictures can help explain your problem easier.

I don't know if this will help you but here is a pic of my engine. Maybe you can see if something looks different.

Good Luck with the repairs.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2005, 03:52 AM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

You guys ROCK!! I got the wiring rerouted with the help of good friend, and got the IC seated properly. This was the first time I've driven a 3.6 turbo and man does this thing move! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your guys help on the throttle body gasket, that was definitely it.

I'll take some pictures and get em posted soon.

Kevin

94 3.6 Turbo blk/blk
01 Suburban
05 Nissan Titan

Past Cars
96 911 Carrera
80 911 SC
73 914 V8
88 BMW M3
97 Dinan M3-StgIII
98 BMW M3
01 Discovery
Old 04-23-2005, 10:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Glad to here it worked out. These things are a blast when running right. Just realized if you can't post them you can't see them either DOHH!!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Kevin,

I see one of your past p-cars was a 993. I doesn't seem like you've had much seat time, but what's your impression compared to your 96? I keep hearing voices calling me to a C2T!!

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 04-30-2005, 02:18 PM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

Shawn,

As you said, not much seat time, but my first drive in the 3.6 put a major smile on my face when the turbo kicked in. So far, I would say it's like driving a 993 with a MAJOR afterburner. Keep in mind, when Car & Driver tested this car in 1993, it was the fastest car you could buy in America. Their test results were 0-60, 4 seconds flat, and 1/4 mile was 12.3 seconds....thats faster than the new GT3.

If you want more rush, this is the car for you. Honestly, I was afraid this car would not be fast enough as I was disapointed with the speed of my Dinan S-charged M3 upon installation. This car does not disappoint.

Only thing I may enhance is the suspension. I like to feel the road and may put some HR/PSS type suspension on the car. I also did this on my 993 as that was the only "issue" I had with the car.

Good luck and follow your gut.......you'll be happy.

Kevin
Old 04-30-2005, 02:45 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Go for the PSS9 coil-overs. A few of us have converted, and it does the trick. I have a little thicker rear sway bar as well. Glad you like the new ride.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:17 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Kevin,

I did my first DE this weekend. They wouldn't allow cabs (BMWCCA) so I didn't take my 993. If I deceide to go with a coupe and do some more DEs, I'm certainly going to consider a C2T.

Quick Reply: Just Bought 3.6Turbo, won't start!