964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

source for wastegate pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:36 PM
krichard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default source for wastegate pipe

I would like to remove the wastegate cat and retain the stock tip. Anyone know who would sell a replacement pipe to do this? I tried Fabspeed but they say there is no cat on the wastegate. Am I crazy?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

You might be..... But that's a whole different topic

Yes, there is a cat on the waste gate side.

Just for grins and giggles, why do you want to remove it?

If you just wanted more noise then you might try to find one used and just remove the inside of the cat. Or buy the flange that bolts to the waste gate and any competent muffler shop should be able to fabricate a replacement pipe.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:24 PM
krichard
Instructor

Yea I just wanted to see how much louder it would be without the cat.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:42 AM
69COU
Racer

I had a similer idea as have a spare wastegate cat that i was goint to drill out.

However when i looked how well the bolts had rusted on my stock one to the turbo unit i gave up un the idea of messing with it. I don't fancy snapping the head off a bolt or rounding further than they look already.

I had a post on this before as i found a outlet than do PipeIt was Car Graphic but i never got a price from them.

see picture.

http://www.cargraphic.co.uk/exhst/po...rces/p65_5.jpg

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...03#post1520903

Last edited by 69COU; 04-30-2005 at 06:51 AM. Reason: extra info found
Old 04-30-2005, 12:26 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

krichard,

You are better off replacing the stock tips with an aftermarket version :ie: Fabspeed.The reason is the stock tip on the wastegate side has a lot of baffeling to reduce noise. If you want to get an idea of what the Fabspeed tips (with no baffeling) sounds like, take your wastegate stock tip OFF and go for a ride. When the wastegate is open the sound is AWESOME! Without the cat it is a little louder but the biggest benefit would be 1. reduced back pressure on the WG and 2. Weight savings. Have fun!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:14 PM
krichard
Instructor

I really like the look of the stock back tips, that's why I have been reluctant to get the fabspeed tips. I didn't realise there was baffling in the stock wastegate tip, I will try riding around without it to see if it worth going with the fabspeeds.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

The baffeling can be removed if you have the patience and skill. I replaced my tips witht the "S" 4 pipe tips and the lack of baffeling makes a noticeable improvement in sound once the WG opens.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:58 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can still buy just a pipe. and weld the ends on or flared fitting. I will tell you trying to clear all the material out of the wastegate cat is a real chore. The fastest and easiest thing to do is cut the end off and pull the guts out then reweld. You will spend more time trying to smash the insides out then just cutting it.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krichard
I would like to remove the wastegate cat and retain the stock tip. Anyone know who would sell a replacement pipe to do this? I tried Fabspeed but they say there is no cat on the wastegate. Am I crazy?
I think B&B sells the wastegate pipe. Then you could weld stock tips on to the pipe.

Quick Reply: source for wastegate pipe