Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Anyone know Cannillo Motorsports Ltd in NY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 12:12 PM
SS 81 SC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone know Cannillo Motorsports Ltd in NY?

They have a 1991 turbo which looks interesting...certainly a rare color. Not sure if I like the monotone theme with the same exterior/interior color. If you know this car, please let me know any details. Thanks.

1991 Porsche Turbo VIN# WP0AA2965MS480549. This beautiful Porsche has been well cared for. Original paint. 55k miles. We have a good set of service records and books. The engine is completely sorted and fully serviced. Awesome service history. Plus new struts, shocks, stainless steele brake lines, corner balance and pop-off valve. Call for details. Was $39,950 now $37,950.

http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/i...911turbo2.html
Old 03-05-2005, 12:41 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

Never heard of them. A couple of things to note in the pictures. The brakes are red (either painted, or actually big reds), the rear script is chrome (should be black) and the paint looks awefully shinny given the condition of the interior. Still, at $37k, it would be a good buy, assuming the mechanicals are in good condition.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:54 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience w/Canillo...They had a 914/6 I was interested in. I got a whole lot of BS from these guys and they were very unhelpful re: PPI in the area, etc. I finally blew it off as I was from out of state.

Months after the Six was originally listed they finally changed their ad to tell the real truth about the car...that it was a salvage title cobled together out of two seperate 914s, etc. AND they dropped the price considerably!

My only comment is be cautious.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:33 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

If you look close enough you will also notice the light on the driver side rear quarter panel has more gap ( on top ) then the passenger side,so yes be cautious.I have always said if these cars are advertised below the marker price then definately there's some thing fishy there.Good luck in your search though
Old 03-05-2005, 06:51 PM
SS 81 SC
Track Day

thanks to all who replied...looks like this will be a pass. It's not worth my time to check it out and sort out any issues.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:37 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't pass on this car just yet. It has an upgraded exhaust, what appears to be upgraded brakes, SS lines, etc. The cornerbalance pretty much assures you the car was prepared for some track use. This is not necessarily a bad thing because the car may have lots of very nice modifications that makes it a terrific perfomance and handling car.

Go visit the showroom, ask to see the receipts, and call the previous owners to get the whole story. This could be a disaster, but it also could be quite a find - at this price it is definately worth a little effort.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I did a PPI on this car for a customer of mine about 6 weeks ago. The car checked out fine there was no paint work that I recall . I personally thought the color combo was very cool however I do think resale might be an issue. We passed on it because the engine had been rebuilt due to a spun rod bearing and rather then replace they had chosen to repair the crank. The rebuild seemed to have been well done the motor had low leakdown and no oil leaks or other issues It was professionally rebuilt by Richie Bidard (spelling?) of GTR motorsports in LI NY who has quite a good reputation. We were buying it to build a race car so that's why the cut crank was a deal killer. I think it's a nice car though and I also think they'll move on the price
Dan Jacobs
Old 03-07-2005, 12:39 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan:

Do you recall the story behind the engine rebuild? Do you know why the bearings failed - was this a oil starvation problem?

It looks like the car has B&B muffler - does it also have SS headers?

This car would be very cool with black Recaro SPG seats. The black and purple would make a great match.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Jeff,
I don't know any story behind the engine rebuild. 3.3's will occasionly. randomly spin #2 or #5(so will 3.2 and 3.6 ,all having 9mm rod bolts). The car doesn't have headers just the muffler
Dan J
Old 03-07-2005, 03:00 AM
Curt911
Pro

You could have bought this one for $33, but its gone now, had 60k miles, I had it on eBay...some may remember. I think the car you showed would not be more, and not sure why the other guy's think market price is so much higher on a car with these miles...

did the one you saw have 60k service yet? I'd rather have 60k and have it done over a 55k mile car that has to have it done

Quick Reply: Anyone know Cannillo Motorsports Ltd in NY?