964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Lexan windows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexan windows?

Can anyone tell me the benefits of lexan windows over stock? Any disadvantages? Does water leak in? Who sells good quality lexan windows and any of you guys using it?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Sameer
Can anyone tell me the benefits of lexan windows over stock? Any disadvantages? Does water leak in? Who sells good quality lexan windows and any of you guys using it?
Advantages: It's lighter
Disadvantages: It scratches very easily compared to glass.

It's really for all out race cars.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Pesky,
Thanks. Who can I get good quality ones from?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Pesky,
Thanks. Who can I get good quality ones from?
GT Racing sells some stuff (other GT stuff I've gotten has been of good quality). But since I don't use leaxan, I really don't know.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:47 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:29 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexan disadvantage

I'll emphasize the scratching easily comment that Pesky made. After several years, my lexan windshield had so many tiny scratches it was difficult to see out of when the sun is low in the sky, such as early or late in the day. All the micro scratches were just like having a spider's web imbedded in the windshield, so it refracted the low light badly.

And I'd even known about its softness and had tried my best avoid scratching it, which is also a lot of extra work (can't clean it vigorously, for example).

Unless you really need to save that weight, I'd recommend against lexan.

I've got a glass windshield in my current race car, and plan to keep it that way.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:51 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lwilkins
Unless you really need to save that weight, I'd recommend against lexan.
Yeah, that's my view as well. Unles you are planning to make a run at Le Mans, you really don't need to save those last 5 lbs.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Well there goes the Lexan out of the window.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Vince5
Instructor

I would definitively keep the glass windshield but for side windows or for the rear window why not ? Especialy the rear window is a good place to save weight as it's on the rear wheels, relatively high up and we don't see much through it anyway.

Your alternative is to buy light weight RS side window panels in glass.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Vince,
Where can I buy the RS side window panels?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:59 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vince5
I would definitively keep the glass windshield but for side windows or for the rear window why not ? Especialy the rear window is a good place to save weight as it's on the rear wheels, relatively high up and we don't see much through it anyway.

Your alternative is to buy light weight RS side window panels in glass.
I dunno, but I'll bet that the passenger and driver windows soon will become opaque or at best translucent with the scratching when the window is raised and lowered.

Another reason I wouldn't do anything in lexan is that PCA club racing rules in the stock classes prohibit it. Only legal for the windshield, which I wouldn't do either. May not be a problem for you, but your future buyer might find lexan windows (that have to be replaced) a disincentive.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Vince5
Instructor

Sammer - Sorry it took so long to answer. You can check this link and see if they sell the RS windows http://www.fvd.de/ they should have it on their catalogue (they have a lot of stuff there). Otherwise a Porsche center should be able to get them as well.

Yes the plastic side windows will be scratched as well but it will not be as bad as the windshield and it's not as important
Old 01-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Vince,
Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Sameer,

The thin RS glass will be expensive, I do not think you can find the real thing other than at Porsche. Both the RS and the GT2 had them, the GT3 RS has them too.

As far as the lexan windows, I have put Lexan in replacement to the rear and side rear windows. The fit is perfect, just took minor work, with the new design frames I bought from Getty for a flush mount. I am sure MaShaw sells the same as well and they are Rennlist sponsors, TRG as well.
They will scratch easily but they are not expensive to replace, shipping is very inexpensive as well and there are products out there that help longevity a little, same as the ones I used to use for the motorcycle helmets shields. I would expect them to give me 1-2 years life.

If you are in a country where it rains a lot, you can always put some special silicon between the plastic frames and the body to make it completely water proof. They usually do not leak water anyway.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Jean,
Thanks. How much weight will I save by just replacing the rear and side glass with Lexan?

Quick Reply: Lexan windows?