Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Heat / thermal wrap on catalytic converter good/bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 08:47 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Heat / thermal wrap on catalytic converter good/bad?

Ordering a new cat and wastegate bypass from cargraphic for the 965 - need to be able to pass CA emissions again so ordering a 200.

Is it a good or bad idea to add the thermal shielding option to the cat? Would be nice to lower temps in the exhaust area, but also wondering if it could reduce service life of the cat or have some other downside?

ps - will have a fabspeed main cat bypass available if anyone wants

Last edited by wicks; 05-15-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:48 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

I, personally, don't see a real benefit of wrapping it. Wrapping things pre-turbo like a manifold or header can, in theory, keep air flowing faster (quicker spool up) and reduce under hood temps. But with our cats hanging off the back - and actually exposed to a fair amount of underbody air flow...not sure that it would be a benefit... just my opinion worth exactly what ya paid for it.

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 05-21-2024, 05:31 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I guess one advantage (?) is that it would possibly retain more heat and therefore get the matrix up to working temperature faster?
Old 05-24-2024, 08:12 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine is wrapped and to my mind keeps unnecessary temps off the bumper and rear heat shielding ..doing some refresh and each and every item still has great evidence of
expended heat temps ….Bert
Old 06-03-2024, 04:48 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Went with non-wrapped. The Cargraphic hardware is nicely made, but there are several fitting and design flaws which might make me regret going with it.

- No brackets on the waste gate pipe (to hold the heat shield above and the hot air pipe joint below) which makes it all wobble around at idle.
- Waste gate pipe - though adjustable - does not get to the right angle to have the exhaust tip perfectly aligned.
- Main cat does not install without removal of rear bumper (as promised), the >turbo flange holes are too small so there's no wiggle room around the studs.
- The muffler has to slide back too far to meet with the catalytic converter exit joint (exhaust tip protrudes more).
- Multiple fittings not ordered are on the cat, have to find plugs / bungs for them as not included in kit. Odd size for one it seems, M8 with 1.0 thread.
- The strap supplied for the cat is of low quality.

Bit of a detailed review there, maybe someone will find useful considering options.

Last edited by wicks; 06-03-2024 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Heat / thermal wrap on catalytic converter good/bad?