964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

997 GT3 for 964 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 07:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have no idea what you are talking about.

I find the older cars easier to work on personally. Although any car that has not been properly stored can be a PITA. I am returning my sons cayman S back to stock and with only 28k miles has me cutting and drilling out more hardware than most older 964's. Although at the end of the day it is just mechanics and each car has its own challenges. The earlier G-body cars can be a PITA but they made some huge improvements in the 964 and are some of the best built Porsche's IMO.
Did a full overhaul on my 964. Surprising amount of trim parts available at dealer. Engine parts however were another story.
Love the car. My 993 is equally as quailty. The last of the air coolers are fairly well built.
But sorting out engine work is expensive.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:16 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Bushbaby, any decisions made yet on the fleet as a whole?

... I saw over on the 993 forum that you're chasing a resonance noise in that car. Is that in preparation for sale/departure, or are you just tidying up loose ends?

Oh, also, did you end up passing on the 964T? ... if so, maybe you could post up where that car was (for sale), VIN #, color etc, so we have some reference on which car that was.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:44 PM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi bweSteve, nope the 993 is staying - I'd like to get it fully sorted even if only to satisfy my OCD. No decision on the 964T yet, will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Did a full overhaul on my 964. Surprising amount of trim parts available at dealer. Engine parts however were another story.
Love the car. My 993 is equally as quailty. The last of the air coolers are fairly well built.
But sorting out engine work is expensive.
What engine parts are you having issues finding? I find most anything I need is still available from Porsche. I am working on my sons new toy an Audi B5 S4 Avant 5 speed. What a fun toy with stage 2 tune and PSS9's and 996 turbo brakes it feels like a large 911. 10 year newer car and good luck getting any new parts from Audi for it. I like the 993 although IMO they took a simple design and overcomplicated everything. A far more usable Daily than the 964's but I don't daily my cars. I do admit I prefer the upgrades made to the 993 engine all except the hydraulic lifters. That is why I modified my rockers on my 993 engine to mechanical. These cars were built to last and they seem to be proving it. General maintenance is going to happen with any car this old.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:17 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
What engine parts are you having issues finding? I find most anything I need is still available from Porsche. I am working on my sons new toy an Audi B5 S4 Avant 5 speed. What a fun toy with stage 2 tune and PSS9's and 996 turbo brakes it feels like a large 911. 10 year newer car and good luck getting any new parts from Audi for it. I like the 993 although IMO they took a simple design and overcomplicated everything. A far more usable Daily than the 964's but I don't daily my cars. I do admit I prefer the upgrades made to the 993 engine all except the hydraulic lifters. That is why I modified my rockers on my 993 engine to mechanical. These cars were built to last and they seem to be proving it. General maintenance is going to happen with any car this old.
'
B5 S4! I'm a looong time Audi fan (4000s quattro, Turbo Quattro Coupe (see my handle!), B5 A4, 2 x B5 S4, Alllroad now...) - living in CO I've always liked all wheel drive and turbos great for higher elevation. I LOVED (and hated) my B5 S4s (had 2 spanning about 10 years) in terms of the way they drive, the interior, exterior styling, etc. But man. They are a maintenance nightmare. My first one was an '01.5 - I only did an MTM software tune, exhaust and coilovers. After an initial maintenance-heavy period it was good for a few years but then Round 2 was starting. Sold it. Bought my next one from a friend. HEAVILY (and very tastefully) modified. Bigger turbos, ER intercoolers, Milltec exhaust, real euro lights, Big Red 18Z brakes up front, S8 brakes in back, sway bar, coilovers, mint interior, etc etc etc. Everything. It was fast - insane braking and could handle like no other Audi. But HOLY COW the care and feeding was off the charts. And yes Audi is notorious for not supporting older cars. Even getting parts for the ur-quattro - the most important car in their history - is HARD. Have to be connected and resourceful and creative.

I hope you guys enjoy the S4 - just be prepared.

Brandon
Lots of past Audis
Old 01-22-2024, 11:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

It is my sons car and it has been well maintained by its prior owner. But no doubt when things go it will be expensive and hard to get parts. It has most of the work done already although only the 17Z brakes up front, which are large enough. Fresh PSS9's within 1000 miles and all the 043 bits etc done at the same time. My son has friends who are Audi techs that work at the sister dealership to Porsche where he works so he gets everything done at cost or for free by me. I am surprised how little rust there is for such an old car. These things were tanks. The Idaho dirt was caked on everything underneath. When I cleaned it off in chunks the factory finish was like new.

Interior is getting redone possibly with newer B8 parts. We all seem to agree on their interiors. There is a local guy selling all sorts of parts and I will dye whatever we can't replace. Just going through it all and making sure it is safe, also installing an updated radio but then it is onto building the **** Box race season is nearly here and I have to get that engine done.

Not a Porsche but sister company.

So far not bad for original paint a bunch of touched up rock chips but it is a beater. Although the front bumper needs a respray desperately.

last bit of off topic.

Old 01-23-2024, 03:06 PM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Default i am in too..

just bought one of this old audis. a unloved convertible with carbon bits, alcantara, manual shift for the price of a set of wheels. i am collecting parts now. clutch, chains, shocks. keeps costs down. all work at audi would crack the 20000 line…

had one of this nice v8s in 2003. worst car ever with an unbelivable engine. fourth engine second gearbox, … after 35 thousand miles.
this convertible is one of the last b6 - contains most b7 parts. 170000mile now: fist engine, clutch, chains, steering, gearbox…

i love the sound, power, everything - and the softtop. coming classic!
huge maintenance cost sort them out for salvage these days. audi charges about 15000 for chain and clutch. they are down now as our turbos were a wile ago but for the future they are tons of fun and a good investment.

perfect as a daily

Last edited by peterpullin; 01-23-2024 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cobalt (01-24-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 03:59 PM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Hello All - interesting to see the digression in the thread and I'm quite surprised to see it still active. Question for the originality experts - did the 91 3.3 turbo come with locking wheel nuts, and, if so, of what type? I would think that it would either be the type from the last of the G-series or those fitted to the 993. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2024, 06:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have several sets. They are the extended aluminum nut with round sleeve, key & cap.

i can take pics if needed
Bushbaby (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 02:12 AM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Thanks Anthony for chiming in - that is same setup that came with the last of the G-body cars.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bushbaby
Thanks Anthony for chiming in - that is same setup that came with the last of the G-body cars.
I believe so. Not a fan myself so mine sit in the drawer. Although they are on my 928 still.
Bushbaby (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:38 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Default silver or black

my turbo came with 1992 speedlines which were thief protected using this lock nuts with key in silver/aluminium. they were cracked (lost key) so i tried to find replacement. was not successful. you usually can get only black ones these days.

so i stripped the black anodized alu down and anodized them silver for my application. the black plastic caps were painted silver too.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterpullin
my turbo came with 1992 speedlines which were thief protected using this lock nuts with key in silver/aluminium. they were cracked (lost key) so i tried to find replacement. was not successful. you usually can get only black ones these days.

so i stripped the black anodized alu down and anodized them silver for my application. the black plastic caps were painted silver too.
Interesting. I don't believe I have ever seen a set in anything but black. There are no part numbers for them I am aware of in Silver. I have 2 or 3 spare sets of them in black although my lug nuts were repalced by the Booth taller polished units and his matching lock. I rarely leave my car out in public so I no longer use the locks in fear of having issues removing them.

You need the little hook to remove the caps for your tool kit if you want the car to be original.
Bushbaby (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 02:56 AM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Thanks Anthony for your comments - I recall seeing that lock cap tool a LONG time ago on a car that (stupidly) I didn't buy. Oddly enough I the other day saw a 3.6 at the shop parked just in front of the 3.3 I'm looking at. Stunning car, completely original and in gorgeous condition, only 45000 km and three owners. Not for sale and not within budget if it were. It did however get me thinking if shifting no-stories cars to get a storied 964T, scarcity notwithstanding, is worthwhile. I'm sure that the restoration work required will be done to a high standard but have my doubts nonetheless.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 for 964 Turbo