Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

From Rough back to RUF

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 11:21 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

There was some SICK machinery up there. Cool you were there.

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 02-20-2024, 05:49 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

It's very hard to capture this progress in photos, but the body work is nearly perfect now.
Not sure why it was decided to prime the body in grey and the bumpers, doors, and hood in black, but hopefully it should all come out the same color in the end!

If you didn't know the car was supposed to have drip rails, you wouldn't be able to tell.
I did have to order another 930 rocker trim panel... neither of the used ones I had sourced ended up making the grade.
A reminder that buy once cry once is often the best course of action.

Next up is widening the carbon fiber bumpers.
The composites guy was very impressed with the quality of the bumpers (made locally in Bavaria for RUF by MT-Carbon).
He says they are better made than the ($$$$) carbon bumpers on new Ferraris.
All I can say is that they weigh almost nothing.

Last edited by spartansix; 02-20-2024 at 05:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by spartansix:
magnus89 (02-20-2024), MovingChicane (02-22-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 06:12 PM
das76
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 134 Posts

so are those bumpers for a NB 964 ? What do they do to widen them ?
Old 02-20-2024, 07:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
It's very hard to capture this progress in photos, but the body work is nearly perfect now.
Not sure why it was decided to prime the body in grey and the bumpers, doors, and hood in black, but hopefully it should all come out the same color in the end!

If you didn't know the car was supposed to have drip rails, you wouldn't be able to tell.
I did have to order another 930 rocker trim panel... neither of the used ones I had sourced ended up making the grade.
A reminder that buy once cry once is often the best course of action.

Next up is widening the carbon fiber bumpers.
The composites guy was very impressed with the quality of the bumpers (made locally in Bavaria for RUF by MT-Carbon).
He says they are better made than the ($$$$) carbon bumpers on new Ferraris.
All I can say is that they weigh almost nothing.

That is good to hear. Don't ever remove a bumper from a Ferrari, you would be appalled. Although it looks like really good stuff. Coming along nicely.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:32 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by das76
so are those bumpers for a NB 964 ? What do they do to widen them ?
Yes, the "Ultimate" was a narrow body car, as are many RUFs.
They had the carbon fiber molds custom made for that car but so many people liked it that they started putting them on RCTs and other 964s... but apparently the cost of making a separate widebody version is prohibitive.
Instead, they had carbon fiber extensions made up, and they cut off the ends of the NB bumpers and then lay up more carbon fiber on both sides to attach the WB extensions.
This is another thing that they aren't really selling to random people, so no instructions, but I got a series of detailed photos from their body shop and I'm confident we can recreate the process.
The following users liked this post:
das76 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yes, the "Ultimate" was a narrow body car, as are many RUFs.
They had the carbon fiber molds custom made for that car but so many people liked it that they started putting them on RCTs and other 964s... but apparently the cost of making a separate widebody version is prohibitive.
Instead, they had carbon fiber extensions made up, and they cut off the ends of the NB bumpers and then lay up more carbon fiber on both sides to attach the WB extensions.
This is another thing that they aren't really selling to random people, so no instructions, but I got a series of detailed photos from their body shop and I'm confident we can recreate the process.
The joys of custom builds. At least you aren't fighting poorly produced pieces that can take days to fit properly. I have to agree the one issue with no rain gutters is the rain.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:42 AM
Godspeed !
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thanks

Tremendous build! Thank you for sharing it. Love the details.
Godspeed!
Old 02-22-2024, 09:52 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. The details are everything, but there are so many of them!
Right now I'm trying to find someone who will do yellow cadmium plating... yellow zinc looks good to start but just doesn't last as well.
If I can't find someone I'll have to decide between using shiny new yellow zinc hardware and old, tarnished (but likely superior) yellow cad hardware... not sure which way to go on that.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. The details are everything, but there are so many of them!
Right now I'm trying to find someone who will do yellow cadmium plating... yellow zinc looks good to start but just doesn't last as well.
If I can't find someone I'll have to decide between using shiny new yellow zinc hardware and old, tarnished (but likely superior) yellow cad hardware... not sure which way to go on that.
My friend Mark won't do it anymore unless you are friends but I have used these people in the past. https://alcaro.com/ Small place that has been doing it for along time. Mild cleaning and thread repair should be done first. They will acid etch them prior to remove any remaining gunk. I would give them a call. Unlike my friend who will give me a 3 day turn around they sometimes wait until they get more Porsche parts and do them all together but in separate baskets as not to mix parts.

I have tens of thousands of pieces of hardware cad plated. I agree yellow Zinc

This was the last batch they did for me.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-23-2024 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
urquattro20Vt (02-26-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 04:40 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip - I called Alcaro and they're going to do it for me. Turnaround isn't super fast but nothing is with this project!
Do you run the hardware through a vibratory tumbler or anything before it goes out?

I'm not looking forward to figuring out which nuts and bolts go back in which ziploc bags when all the hardware comes back...
Old 02-24-2024, 06:48 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Lots of hardware categorized and now in the vibratory tumbler in preparation for plating.

Am I right in thinking there's no way to get the alternator tie down strap out without removing the distributor?
I would really rather not need to reset the timing just to make that part shiny, but it's super visible. What a pain!

Anyway, still glad I dug into this because it became pretty obvious that the rear bearing on the alternator is toast.
Lots of play even moving the shaft by hand, it couldn't have had long to go before it failed completely.
So I guess I'm rebuilding an alternator, which probably means refinishing the fan and the fan shroud.

Fan isn't cracked and the paint is in pretty good shape apart from some chipping on the leading edges of the blades, so I'll probably just have it painted given that the car is unlikely to see much bad weather.
I believe that the 930/965 fan shroud is made of aluminum not magnesium, so I may have that vapor honed along with the intakes.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:58 PM
das76
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 134 Posts

ahh the curse of ‘while you are here you might as well……’
Old 02-26-2024, 08:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip - I called Alcaro and they're going to do it for me. Turnaround isn't super fast but nothing is with this project!
Do you run the hardware through a vibratory tumbler or anything before it goes out?

I'm not looking forward to figuring out which nuts and bolts go back in which ziploc bags when all the hardware comes back...
Yes I go overboard usually but the last batch I pictured was not polished just cleaned and it came out like factory. They do good work. I have sent them many customers and they have been doing 911 parts for along time.

Lots of hardware categorized and now in the vibratory tumbler in preparation for plating.

Am I right in thinking there's no way to get the alternator tie down strap out without removing the distributor?
I would really rather not need to reset the timing just to make that part shiny, but it's super visible. What a pain!

Anyway, still glad I dug into this because it became pretty obvious that the rear bearing on the alternator is toast.
Lots of play even moving the shaft by hand, it couldn't have had long to go before it failed completely.
So I guess I'm rebuilding an alternator, which probably means refinishing the fan and the fan shroud.

Fan isn't cracked and the paint is in pretty good shape apart from some chipping on the leading edges of the blades, so I'll probably just have it painted given that the car is unlikely to see much bad weather.
I believe that the 930/965 fan shroud is made of aluminum not magnesium, so I may have that vapor honed along with the intakes.
Making sure there is no exposed magnesium is a must. The housing is aluminum AFAIK. You can set the engine to cyl 1 TDC and easily remove the distributor. You should be able to install it using the TDC mark on the distributor and have no issues. You can't leave that dingy looking strap after all that work.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:44 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

In for a penny, in for a pound. The fan and housing are packed up to go to Tru6 for restoration and cerakote.
Hardware has been degreased, evaporusted, tumbled, and is ready to head to Alcaro for yellow cad plating.

As for the body? Well that's starting to look much more like a car!

The following 4 users liked this post by spartansix:
ianbsears (03-02-2024), magnus89 (03-02-2024), MovingChicane (03-03-2024), urquattro20Vt (03-12-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 10:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

They made quick work out of that. Looks great!

Quick Reply: From Rough back to RUF