K27 High Flow installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 03:26 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K27 High Flow installation

Hello everyone,

I have spent the whole day at a friend's porsche workshop installing the so-eagerly awaited K27HF to my car. After almost 9 hours of unbolting and bolting (due to some rusty bolts etc), everything was finally in place, inspected and double-checked (or so we thought) I went for the so-highly anticipated test drive!

I let the car engine warm-up nicely - after we made absolutely sure the precious newly-installed turbocharger was properly lubricated - and started driving with a friend following in his 1977 3.0 litre turbo. As I begun accelerating smoothly and got to see 0.3 bar on the boost gauge, I noticed in my rear view mirror black or blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, the car suddenly losing power and the engine dying and refusing to start. We pushed the car on the side lane and on closer inspection we noticed that the intercooler had come off from the throttle housing - "telltale" orange seal visible - Phew - what a relief!

To cut a long story short, after everything was re-checked and back in place once again, I set off on the highway to try and get get a feeling of what all the K27HF fuss was all about - WOW! What a revelation! This is the turbocharger that should have come as factory standard on the turbo 3,6!

The car has lost none of its driveabilty around town - on the contrary - it seems to have improved- unless it's because of my excitement! On higher speeds though it is a different story. Power delivery seems to be so progressive and linear especially in the higher rev range - from 4.5-5000 revs all the way to the redline/cutoff! Oh and the on-boost kick is still around - as before. Truly awesome!

Many thanks to everyone on the forum for their invaluable knowledge, guidance, info and support, but - regarding this particular matter- especially to Anthony (Cobalt) and Stephen (ImagineAuto).

I promise to post some pics tomorrow (really Anthony!) once the car is washed/waxed.

Thanks and best regards

Emilios

Last edited by emilios; 05-09-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:42 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Emilios,
Sounds very exciting yet encouraging as far as the driveability goes,awesome However did you have to do anything to your fuel supply or is it just plug and play and thats it ?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:16 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Yasir,

just plug and play - straight bolt-on. And I am still with the factory standard headers and complete factory exhaust and catalyst and running at 0.7 boost. I can't imagine what Anthony's car must feel like with the B&B headers at 1.0 bar boost!

I would definitely recommend it!

Best regards

Emilios
Old 05-08-2004, 05:23 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Mine already has a B&B exhaust,cats removed,B&B muffler and 1 bar boost spring I think someone suggested that the A/F ratio,as measured by exhaust CO,needs to be adjusted too,is that correct ?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:33 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

No idea I'afraid Yasir. I am not technically an expert - I am just getting into this stuff. Perhaps one of the more experienced or profesional gents on the forum can assist you with your question.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 05-08-2004, 05:54 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:12 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Emilios, "thank you", as if Cobalt's endorsement for the HF wasn't enough, now I have to add this to "the list"...
Old 05-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too waiting for my K29 to die on me, than will take the plunge for the K27HF
Old 05-09-2004, 01:24 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Y.S: All your mods lean out your air-fuel ratio and I would guess you are on the edge right there. Anything over where you are, like bigger turbo at any higher boost, and you need a way to add fuel.

The easiest being a few 100 dollars for something like an Andial fuel enrichment system. Basically just another injector plumbed into the intercooler or the manifold, where you set the duty cycle on the injector based on boost anmd rpm. The simplest allow you to just manually dial up the duty cycles via a ****. You set it using a wideband lambda to read air fuel mixtures across the rpm and boost ranges. You raise or lower the amount of fuel you add through the additional injector so that the air-fuel mix stays at your target ratio, say, 12.75:1.

Some people have plugged in larger injectors or increased the duty cycles on the existing injectors through an aftermarket controller. Finding bigger injectors that mechanically have a specified flow that results in your exact air-fuel ratio for any set of mods is very very low. You will mostly tend to be richer. Inceasing the duty cycles on exisiting injectors results in driving the jectors way above their optimal working zone. They'll degrade and need replacement.

Gordon
Old 05-09-2004, 01:45 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by DrJupeman
Emilios, "thank you", as if Cobalt's endorsement for the HF wasn't enough, now I have to add this to "the list"...
DrJupeman,

"never leave things you can do today for tomorrow"

I also blame Cobalt for making me aware of and finally convincing me to buy the HF!

Best regards

Emilios

Last edited by emilios; 05-09-2004 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Glad to hear all worked out well.

Got a little concerned when I first started reading the post. Amazing turbo!!

really brings a smile to my face when I am running in the higher revs and now have controllable power to play with.

Hell with the pictures, go for a long ride. Take some pics along the way, if you get a chance. Otherwise enjoy the rush.

Stephen, sounds like another satisfied customer.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

A word of caution to HF install crowd. Please make sure that you read the install proceedures. And if you don't have one, please email me or Imagine Auto. Also, try to take it easy for the first 30 miles... 100 miles before constant full boost high speed runs... The sealing rings have to seat in just like piston rings...
Old 05-22-2004, 12:51 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you paraphrase what the word of caution is around install? How much do these HF turbos cost, too? Are they a readily available part or something that ImagineAuto does ad hoc.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:05 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Kevin,

Thanks for the caution. It's been two weeks and a a couple of hundred miles already since I installed my HF, which I have used quite cautiously at least for the very first few miles, simply by using common sense - everything new has to be allowed to run-in or sit-in properly.

I wouldn't mind receiving your installation procedures/instructions to have as reference, though.

Thanks and best regards

Emilios
Old 05-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

emilios PM me with an email address.
DrJupeman, yes it is a readily available turbocharger that Imagine sells/stocks, his website has the current price..
A quick note for you 965 owners, the K27-7006 that is running on most of your cars, has a smaller compressor wheel than the quick-spooling K27-7200. The high flow sports a very high effiecient compressor wheel that is 6mm larger than the 7200...

Quick Reply: K27 High Flow installation