964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Turbo running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 04:06 PM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by zdr
Perfect - many thanks. What is that source? Any reason to think pressures might be different in my S2, with larger intercooler and different turbo?
I would measure the pressures as stated in the original workshop manual and if there is a slight tendency to "rich" (= lower than the nominal values) don't be sad.
If the question of vehicle-specific adaptation is to be answered, at least the actual AFR values ​​​​have to be known over the entire operating range.

Fritz
Old 09-28-2022, 08:34 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by zdr
Perfect - many thanks. What is that source? Any reason to think pressures might be different in my S2, with larger intercooler and different turbo?
So now you need to take the next step; actual afr data as measured from a road or dyno test.
You will need a device like an Innovate LM-2 so you can actually see what the arf values are.
Idle - 14.0 to 14.5/1, engine warmed up
Boost - 11.0 - 11.5/1 at boost onset; 12.0 -12.6/1 at 6000 rpm.
If you don't come close to these values, you will have to back into them by tweaking control pressures to get there, IF the wur is adjustable (which I doubt it is).
You would raise control pressure to run leaner, drop to go richer.
Bottom line is you need afr data to pinpoint the issue as I'm not aware of any source for how an S2 was set by Andial. You might possibly need an adjustable wur (you can source one from RarlyL8.com).
But brfore we get to the tuning, there is still some troubleshooting to do in the way of establishing that you don't have unmetered air entering the intake or air being forced out of the system.
First check - when you turn the idle speed screw on the throttle body, does the idle speed change? If it doesn't, you most likely have a cracked injector block. This will require the intercooler, fuel head and intake manifold to come off so you can replace them.
Second check - If you can vary the idle speed, check that the cheap-*** worm clamps the factory put on the intercooler coupling are tight and in good shape (you should really replace them anyway with uprated clamps) and the o-ring on the throttle body is in good shape (as previously mentioned).
Do these checks and report back your findings.
This is going to be a sizeable project for you. Get ready.....

Last edited by Metal Guru; 09-28-2022 at 02:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (09-29-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 10:54 PM
zdr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent info from all. I'm going to dig into it this Friday and will keep you posted.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:40 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 150 Posts

Is your ignition advancing correctly? Vacuum line connected to the EZ69?
Car revving correctly while parked? Coil strong? Rotor Good?
Here's a link to that ignition on Rennlist with Black_hat info.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:41 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...l-modules.html

Old 10-01-2022, 12:56 AM
zdr
Track Day

So seems like good news - we took intercooler off and in the process it was found to not be completely in place. Put it back on properly and now the issue seems to be resolved after brief test drive. Will try it out more this weekend, but seems this might have been an easy one. Hopefully not too good to be true but maybe it worked itself loose over time??? Is that a thing? Thanks again to everyone for the input.
The following users liked this post:
ianbsears (10-03-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 01:09 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

I have a S2 Intercooler. they are huge and tough to fit sometimes. Mine is for sale if you know anyone missing one.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:07 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zdr
So seems like good news - we took intercooler off and in the process it was found to not be completely in place. Put it back on properly and now the issue seems to be resolved after brief test drive. Will try it out more this weekend, but seems this might have been an easy one. Hopefully not too good to be true but maybe it worked itself loose over time??? Is that a thing? Thanks again to everyone for the input.
No.
When you seat the intercooler over the o-ring (using the slickest lube you can find), make sure that the neck of the intercooler sits down on the big boss cast into the throttle body on the drivers side of the casting. If it's "home" it is covering the o-ring completely. From there the 2 attachment bolts should sit into their mounting fingers at full depth (to the bottom of the slot) and the bolt in the front of the coil bracket should line up with it's hole.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:25 AM
zdr
Track Day

Just curious - how did you come upon an S2 intercooler and how much do you want for it?
Old 10-02-2022, 08:54 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zdr
Just curious - how did you come upon an S2 intercooler and how much do you want for it?
If you plan on building a 700 hp track engine, it will come in handy. Otherwise you might consider investing that kind of money in an engine reseal or coilovers, ect.
You'll never be on the boost enough on the street to take advantage of an S2 intercooler.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:12 PM
zdr
Track Day

I don't need one, already have one, just curious about it as I doubt there are a lot of them around and I might be interested in an extra.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:04 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

I bought a 3.3 S2 Engine in 1999 from Oklahoma Foreign. Message me if you are interested. It's obviously a signature part like Speedline Wheels
I think the Engine went in this Roadster. The intercooler came back to me on another one I bought back. It definitely makes these engines look tougher and run cooler.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:53 PM
zdr
Track Day

So after more test runs today, the initial issue seems to be gone. I'm happy about that, but it really seems the the boost comes on later now than it used to. I believe it came on about 3500 before, now its about 4500 or 5k. Very smooth throughout the revs but more lag to my lag. Max at 0.7 bar per digital gauge. Maybe this is how it's supposed to be - anyone familiar with stock S2 that can comment?
Thanks
Old 10-03-2022, 05:30 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

My 3.6 is largely stock and the boost pressure starts at 3000-3500 rpm.

Since you haven't done anything except the intercooler, the problem will be there.
Look from the left side under the intercooler to the throttle body. There is a cast side ridge there, the bottom flange of the intercooler should rest on the ridge. Also check from the right side to see if the o-ring has squeezed out somewhere.

Fritz
Old 10-03-2022, 09:14 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Default Waste gate bolt

HotRod that Waste gate, get yourself a long bolt. Sounds like it’s all going out.
I need a 1 bar spring, you probably too.
let me know where to buy one?
I was thinking Patrick motorsports

Quick Reply: Turbo running poorly