Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo Forum Seems Comatose...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 12:00 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Turbo Forum Seems Comatose...

I check here several times a day for new information and things going on and should only check weekly... Although only 45 members have posted as owning a 964 turbo,, you would think there would be more questions even if from people thinking about buying one. I posted a simple question on the exhaust forum regarding muffler and bypass choices and there hasn't been a reply to my question or any other post to the thread in a day and a half, even though its the third most recent post on the forum. I guess I just wish there were more questions and more active members.

Gordon
Old 05-03-2004, 04:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 638 Likes on 372 Posts

Gordon,

Generally, the activity on the Rennlist fora seems to be a product of the numbers of cars out there e.g. look at the number of 993 posts compared to 964 ones.

I also imagine each model has a different demographic and the Internet isn't everyone's cup of tea. On the Pelican site, most people in a current poll are between 30 & 35. Turbo ownership of the older cars is probably for 40+ so they aren't inclined to watch this forum.

FWIW: I try to do my bit, but run a standard car so threads about modifications are outside my zone of competence.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Gordon and John,

what more proof do you want that our cars are indeed rare and exclusive? It could also have to do with the fact that our turbo cars - are much more complex as well as more expensive and exclusive than a lot of other models on rennlist, and as such are not so easy to work on for the average DIYer. Tha higher age of the owners (no offense to anyone) may also play a part in this noticeable lack of interest/response/answers to many postings/questions on our forum.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 05-03-2004, 11:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,334 Posts

I don't know about the rest of you but I found the 964 turbo forum to be rather active this past winter. Now that the nice weather is here I am out driving my car or doing my spring plantings. I enjoy doing my own gardening and it takes considerable time.

You may also try the 911 turbo forum. Many 964 3.3liter turbo questions are asked there and many times pertain to both the 930 and 964 models.

I also find the 964 section to be very active and helpful regarding general questions which pertain to the body, suspension and electrical system.

Give it a chance it can be rather cyclical. Many other sites go months without a single comment regarding the older cars.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:48 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Anthony,

as my new K27HF is in customs awaiting clearance (I should hopefully be having it tomorrow) I would like to ask you about replacing my standard turbo with the HF - is it really a direct /straight bolt-on replacement? Anything to watch out for etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Emilios
Old 05-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Ian964
Pro

Yea 911Turbo.com seems to have a lot of posts about 930/965s
Old 05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Emilios,

It could not be more simple. When you look at the two turbos, side by side they look almost Identical. (The HF is a K27Hybrid) When you start comparing the internals you will see the differences. Just be careful you have no forign objects inside the turbo that can cause damage upon start up.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:56 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Thanks very much Anthony - you are a great help.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 05-03-2004, 03:06 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

I understand and have been aware that there are few owners and so, few threads and posts. As I said, "I wish...". The fact that I wish doesn't make it so. It is at least a good group of guys and the forum is not populated by a lot of the vulgarity and nastiness that you see on other, non Porsche, forums and I do enjoy reading what's here. The age thing is certainly a factor. The 944 forum here is very interesting and the age is probably a lot lower. Those guys are into modding their cars and trying all kinds of things, while fewer of the C2T guys are. That's fine. I am spending more time now checking the C2 forum and 911.com's board. Both of those have more members because they do include other generations of turbos and the 930 issues and solutions are often useful.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 05-03-2004, 04:35 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The activities on 965 forum right now is much better than ever before. Try to go back about 1 year or more, they were just about 10 members on here, and only about 1 post per day.

My car is stock, engine wise, also, so I don't post much. But I read all posts on here. Also, I am affraid to answer something incorrectly too.

I've been part of Rennlist from day one, and I very happy that there are more and more 965s coming out. We have that many members on here for such a relatively low production number is a good thing.

I visit most of Rennlist forums and 911turbo.com everyday to check for new interesting stuff. I really enjoy reading the off topic of the forum too.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 05-03-2004, 07:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting comment on the demographics of this forum. If it is not offensive, perhaps we can start a poll with the age range of this forum's membership...

As for me, I was probably a more active poster before I bought my car then since! I like to think I helped contribute to this past winter's activity that Cobalt referred to. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I've been hit with a blight of intense work lately so I haven't been able to enjoy my car or this board much. I promise (threaten?) to do my part to keep the board active/interesting by posting more pics/videos and stuff as I enjoy my car later this spring/summer/fall/rest of my life...

Old 05-03-2004, 10:14 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

I would like to make sure that everyone understands my titling of this thread was meant in a humorous vein. Although no one has gotten tres upset, I should comment that I have a wry sense of humor and have a habit of stirring the pot. The Rennlist group is the best forum I have participated in thus far. Since I was not been a member in the formative stages, my views only reflect my desire and need to learn more quickly about my car and how to get the performance I want from it. (Despite telling myself I wouldn't modify the car when I bought it, but would just enjoy it for the wonderful car it was stock, I have already done a lot of mods and spend free time thinking about the next ones and what's reasonable and possible. I'm also getting a 944 Turbo, which I justify as a daily driver to reduce the miles on the 964, but know I will modify that as well. It's a sickness, right?) )

I joined the Rx7 Forum in 1996 and that group was -- on the positive side -- far more like the 944 turbo group here. They were always trying things and seeing what worked and what didn't. Those of us with the time, money, and inclination pushed the envelope a lot and shared that with everyone. As an example, we all went to "piggyback" computers to control fuel and boost controllers for boost. We found their limits and went to standalones. There were intense debates over "timing splits" and other arcane stuff. The possibilities for the Rx7 were extended tremendously as a result. The first generation of mods got people to from 220 rwhp to 325 rwhp. The next generation went to 360-375 rwhp. The next 400+ and finally and more recently, people started pushing 600 rwhp and more. From 1.3 liters (really the equivalent of 2.6 in a 4 cycle engine) that's a lot of power. Of everything learned here, the biggest thing was that whatever you did, you needed a standalone computer to really do it right.

On the negative side half of the guys (out of 16,000+ members) were jerks and incredibly vulgar. The language and flaming was outrageous and ruined the forum for many of us. This forum of about 50 guys with 964 turbos is like a gentlemen's club. (No, not THAT kind of "gentlemen's club"...) It is a real pleasure to post and read here and that makes owning my car and being a part of this group a great experience.

Regards,

Gordon
Old 05-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Les Quam
Pro

In my humble opinion the problem with the 964 site is the people with cobalt blue cars who post pictures of their cars and I think the ugly color scares people away. just my very humble opinion.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:02 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

The hoard of Turbo S cars, GT2, and Cayenne stacked like military ribbons below your sig remind me that diversity is not all its cracked up to be...

Gordon
Old 05-04-2004, 11:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Les Quam
In my humble opinion the problem with the 964 site is the people with cobalt blue cars who post pictures of their cars and I think the ugly color scares people away. just my very humble opinion.
Jealous. All those nice cars and no Cobalt Blue. I know you were looking for a few extra tenths off that quarter time of the CGT. If you paid extra for Cobalt it would have pushed it over the top. I know the money is getting tight so let me know when it arrives I can bring some paint a few brushes and a case of Rolling Rock and we can speed it up in a jiffy.

Les, Just in case you are out shopping the internet, I am in the market for a Cab for my wife. She said she doesn't want to be as fast as the turbo. So if you see a red one let me know.

Gordon,

The more you hang around here the more you will realize that everyone here makes for an enjoyable and relatively active forum.

Speaking for myself, I am always looking for ways to improve my car but I find that although more is always obtainable, at what cost. I personally only want to improve upon the car to the point were it makes the car more pleasurable to drive without sacrificing streetability. I have several friends that have spent tens of thousands modifying their 930's to well over 600hp and find the cars to be undriveable on the street. I believe that you will find although the car can be made to deliver outrageous HP that the value is diminished after a certain point.

I am curious to know what driving a 600hp RX7 is like. I may be wrong but it sounds like a Road Runner a friend of mine made in HS. About 800Hp, all it did was spin the rear tires and make lots of smoke. Can a car that light handle that much power and still be driveable everyday? Ironically my stock SC was faster with it's 172hp. By the time the RR gripped the pavement I was long gone, once we exceeded 100mph the RR was unstable.

I think if you post your questions, you will find a very helpful bunch of Porsche enthusiasts here. I think your timing is off. Most of us have been waiting for the warmer weather. Once we shake off the cob webs you will find us back on board asking questions and busting chops.

PS, I am sure you will find many more people on this board then the poll shows.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo Forum Seems Comatose...