964 Turbo Forum Seems Comatose...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:48 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Les:

If you think cobalt scares them away, you should see coral red - now that's plain ugly, don't you think?

BTW: Coarl Red is just a touch faster than Cobalt, but a little slower than Arena Red
Old 05-04-2004, 01:57 PM
69COU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL
Old 05-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Cobalt,
I am looking for a pristine roadrunner. I would not have thought you cosmopolitan east coast types would have appreciated a true mopar musclecar.
What year cab are you looking for?

Gordon,
I am not sure 5 cars and an suv constitute a hoard. And the whole diversity thought went right over my head?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Les, Gordon was commenting on your sig that shows multiples of certain unique cars. Some people think that it would be better to diversify, say, by purchasing a different type of car instead of a second turbo s, or thereabouts. He was, I believe, stating that your collection makes aforementioned diversity seem less appealing, because you have neat cars..

Gordon, did I get that right?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally posted by JBH
Les:

If you think cobalt scares them away, you should see coral red - now that's plain ugly, don't you think?

BTW: Coarl Red is just a touch faster than Cobalt, but a little slower than Arena Red
JBH,
Nice color even if it is red. I would love to see the Cobalt and Coral red side by side. Red faster than Blue LOL

My wife just sent me an add for a Coral red cab. She is not a big red fan but realy likes Coral. How does Arena and Coral differ?

Les,

My wife likes the 964's although I would not complain about a 993 Cab. She is real picky (Thats why she married me )

To top it off she wants it to have low mileage, good color combo (Sorry no Guards red or light interiors) and she is thinking about a trip tranny. Doesn't want to drive a stick on those long summer drives down to LBI. She makes it real easy, huh. Said its her job.

No need to search, but if anyone sees a nice one let me know.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Alfie,
I have 16 other cars if Gordon feels the need for diversity. Ranging from an all original 28,000 mile 1966 Shelby GT 350 to a 1998 Viper GT 2. I don't post them all because my wife does not know about my secret warehouse.

Cobalt,
I really like that coral red car. And finding the cab your wife is looking for will really be difficult.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Les, here we were, thinking that your lack of diversity was a great thing, and you quash us, just like that...
If you buy a turbo cab from me, I wont tell your wife about the secret stash
Old 05-04-2004, 05:21 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally posted by Les Quam
Alfie,
I have 16 other cars if Gordon feels the need for diversity. Ranging from an all original 28,000 mile 1966 Shelby GT 350 to a 1998 Viper GT 2. I don't post them all because my wife does not know about my secret warehouse.

Cobalt,
I really like that coral red car. And finding the cab your wife is looking for will really be difficult.
Les,
So all these cars the 50000 sq ft Batcave, and not a single Blue car. I think its time to diversify. Let me know when you are ready to live on the wild side and make a trade.

If it was easy to find a Cab to my wifes expectations, she wouldn't want it. I found one of two Cobalt Blue 3.6's, only took six months. She figures if I can do it once I can do it again. LOL.

The Coral red one has it all but the trip trans. I really don't want it in auto but if she loves the color as much as I do I just might have her hooked. Otherwise the search continues.

So an all original, numbers matching Shelby GT 350, sweet. What color? a friend of mine had one in orange/black back 20 years ago sold it for pennys compared to what they are worth today. Had only 15k miles on it when he sold it. I wish I knew were that was along with the Roadrunner today.

I love cars in general. I just prefer to drive those that can turn.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:26 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Cobalt,

I am starting to see some life in the corpse...

The Rx7 is great fun on the street (ask Alfi...), but it is a handfull. I generally dial down the power to about 450, which is still fast in a 2850 lb car. Once on the way down to VIR I got caught in a rain storm. Water got into my intake, but I didn;t notice anything. When the rain dried out, we were at a stoplight and the guy coming down with me asked me to get on it. I launched and the front end came up off the ground... I was momentarily running at about 25 psi of boost by mistake due to the water! At 20 psi/450 I run about 10.5's in the quarter at just under 130. I have never timed the car at higher boost, but know a guy who broke his half shafts running 600 hp. He put chromoly on after that. But, it is fun. You really never find anything on the street that touches it. I have absolutely no intentions of modding the Porsche that way...

Gordon
Old 05-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I only saw one silver Turbo 3.6 at Rennsport II. A couple of owners came in other types of cars but I saw no more than this one,
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

That RX7 was a riot, just blindingly fast, but it was always scary....The great thing about those cars was that if you pop a motor, its a couple grand to have it replaced...Not the case with Porsche
Old 05-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Cobalt,
This whole turning thing is highly overrated if you ask me.

The 66 Shelby is all black with black interior with no stripes. It has original paint and interior and drivetrain and won a national Shelby club meet as a survivor. It is at one of the top Shelby restorers in the country now getting original or NOS fuel pump, exhaust and water pump plus a few odd clamps and stuff to take it to some more shows and be a 100% perfectly original Shelby. It still has the original fan belt and hoses. Way cool. The restorer wanted the car to serve as a reference for his other restorations.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok Gordon since you started this .....we both registered in November 2002. Since then I have posted 173 times and you have posted 129........??! also I am in the 40+ group and spend an inordinate amount of time on this board (according to my wife!)
I bought my stock Turbo after having had a cab and couldn't understand why anybody would need to upgrade the C2T. Well 1-1/2 years and several $K I think I understand!!!!!
I agree there are a lot of fine people on this board and there is a lot of useful information posted...sometimes replys are delayed probably due to the need to exercise our habits or spend weeks at a time out of the country(my issue)
Is still think Guards Red is a few 1/10'sec faster than Cobalt or Coral Red!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:56 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This whole turning thing is highly overrated if you ask me.
LOL!!!

I used to think that way which is why I traded a early '65 Mustang with the high performance 289 and Rally Pac for a Fiat 124 Spider. That was many years ago and my only regret is I still don't have the Fiat

Really, I could go for a Superbird, but at 100 Grand I would still opt for a hardly used Turbo or GT3.

Arena Red has more red in it than Coral. My favorite color is still Cobalt Blue. I remember seeing a C2T at the dealer back in 1994 in that color and I was absolutely stunned.

Completely OT, but my favorite colors in order are:
1. Cobalt Blue
2. Arena Red
3. Pearlescent White
4. Coral Red
Old 05-04-2004, 10:50 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Maverick: Going fast and modifying cars is a sickness. I'm surprised I don't see ads on TV for "Mods-A-Lot". "Ask your tuner if Mods-A-Lot is right for you". But it is great fun and frankly the best high that's legal is driving fast, hearing an interesting motor at high revs, and the feel of a well-tuned car that's beautiful to look at. And, the over 40 thing. Got that waaaay covered.

I've always liked Cobalt, but wasn't quite aware of the speed pecking order. I don't know what Porsche color might be the same but there's a deep blue Ferrari color called Pozzi that I really like with a butter-colored leather interior. Always liked that.

JBH: Don't know what to say about your poor choice of colors. I am resolute that Coral is by far the better color over Arena Red and is known to be faster in the quarter. Got to say that I agree on the Pearlescent White. I had a 1992 Honda VFR 700 in Pearlescent White and loved it. Other than a few pictures I've never seen a 964 in that color in person. Now that you mention it, my favorite Porsche color combo might be the Pearlescent White with either Navy or Black leather. (Or, Aubergine/Scarlet...) (Black/Black is also fairly fast. Mine is slowed a bit by the light grey piping I think...)

On the Mopar thing. I always liked the Challenger T/A's with the side pipes coming out in front of the rear wheels. There's very little turning necessary at the A&W Drive-In's, but the Challengers were pretty decent on the tracks back then. I had a buddy of mine who convinced his lawyer father back in 1966 to buy a hemi challenger so that he could pass other cars more safely... Really, I think his dad bought that line. It had the push button automatic and was very fast.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo Forum Seems Comatose...