Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

That's what you call 'well corroded' - wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 09:26 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

While under the car earlier when taking the headers off, I noticed the fuel pump cover was corroded, so I've recently taken it off, blasted it clean, primed and repainted:

I'm slowly reaching the end of this exhaust/rear-end overhaul. New set of oil return pipes are fitted and I'm in the middle of cleaning up the valve covers before refitting with new gaskets and a set of new plugs too.

One thing I've still not got back yet is the replacement wastegate decat pipe from Cargraphic - that's been on order for nearly 3 months now.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:31 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Are you gonna refit it with shiny new golden bolts from P? I replaced mine last year and the new ones are quite pretty. Haha.

does the waste gate decat change much I wonder? I have a FS cat pipe but dunno if they make a wastegate unit.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:46 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

No, no new bolts/fasteners are coming from Porsche! The prices are ridiculous for something sourced from another supplier and then put into a Porsche branded parts bag.

Where any (fastener) is corroded I am buying new rather than sending anything out to be electro-plated. My go-to supplier is spaldingfasteners.co.uk, and I've changed to stainless parts wherever possible with all of my replacements, and zinc-plated where I cannot get stainless equivalents, with copper plated for any of the exhaust locknuts. There's new 'generic' stainless nylock nuts and stainless bolts and washers to refit this fuel pump cover (why did they have to use a mix of fasteners for it???).

Wastegate cat doesn't do anything for performance (unless you have one which is blocked). It changes the sound quite dramatically when the wastegate opens whilst on boost though. The cat on mine hadn't collapsed/blocked, but the welds around the mounting flange to the wastegate had started to leak quite badly, and since the entire exhaust system was coming off and getting new seals/fasteners everywhere, it made sense to replace it at the same time; those nuts weld themselves on quite spectacularly with all that heating and cooling, and I'd rather free them off just the once!

Last edited by Megatron-UK; 09-20-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:18 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Replacement heat exchanger ductwork arrived today. This is for the two under-car orange air pipes and the one fan-shroud to right hand wheel arch pipe, all three of which, whilst mostly intact, are quite well mangled on mine:

Again, I didn't go to Porsche for these, as there is nothing remotely unique about them - just simple steel reinforced silicone hoses. I paid £25/metre for the two types, and there is probably enough length in both to get at least three hoses out of each type.

If I remember correctly, the orange hose is 76mm diameter, and the smaller engine bay hose was 63mm.
The following users liked this post:
das76 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 03:09 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Had a bag of sodium bicarbonate delivered today and tried it out on a few alloy parts - it's way less harsh than other media isn't it? It cleaned up a lot of surface dirt, but didn't change the feel of the surface.

I suspect it would take quite a bit of soda media to clean something like the trailing arms/front wishbones without a heavy scrub first... As it seems much, much less harsh.

I used it on the valve covers and the upper ones came up nice; not a uniform finish as it doesn't take the heavy oxidised layer off, but smooth and now cleaned. The lower covers seem not to have as nice a finish and it didn't leave them as good as the uppers - they probably would have benefited from a harsher media, but I didn't want to do that and take the surface off.

I suspect I will leave any more soda blasting for any smoother, already pre-cleaned, bare-metal alloy surfaces in future work.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:49 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Bottom part is after removal, degreasing and a wire brush. Top cover is the same and then soda blasted. Really quite pleased about the finish; I will definitely be using this approach again when I do the suspension work in the near future.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:49 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

All good stuff megatron. I've been doing a lot of the same (I've got my car all apart right now too),... and use different media & various processes depending on the metal type, and whether its getting fresh coat of paint (steel & tin parts), or engine / tranny that will stay as fresh cleaned aluminum. here's a few pics too....

engine tin before...

engine tin after regular aluminum oxide blasting inside my cabinet (then painted it with 2,000 degree satin paint)....

transmission before & after ... used a portable vapor honing machine so it could be done outside on a dolly...

engine valve cover ... was trying to decide whether the soda (on the left) or the vapor honing (right side) would look best. I went with vapor honing for all my exterior engine aluminum covers...

Last edited by bweSteve; 10-25-2022 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Megatron-UK (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 01:02 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice work! there's some pretty crusty stuff - great to get rid of all that. Keep up the good work.

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 09-22-2022, 01:10 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

this pic shows all the aluminum covers that were vapor honed....
....... (Btw, I'll eventually delete all these pics later, off your thread, since I don't want to hijack,... but I just wanted you to see what choices I was making)...

Heads also vapor honed & liquid leak tested...

and like you, I also used some frozen carbon dioxide co2 dry ice for the underbody suspension bits (new KW's this year too)....

Last edited by bweSteve; 10-25-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:34 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Replacement wastegate bypass pipe finally arrived in the UK from Cargraphic Germany. Apparently these are only made to order since there are so few requests for them... Hence why it has taken 3 full month's to get it.

Not bad looking, but still a lot of money for what it is. Less than an OEM wastage cat though:

I thought it was a single piece part, but it's actually two pieces and secured with a mikalor style exhaust clamp at the wastegate flange end and with the normal 964 tailpipe connector at the other end.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:30 AM
das76
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 134 Posts

@Megatron-UK I’m curious how much it was from Cargraphci? Fabspeed is $580usd and about 3-4 weeks for production
Old 10-05-2022, 12:38 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

That's good looking stuff. The cargraphic bits looks more like an original part. I prefer not to add a bunch of shiny chrome where it doesn't belong, although I have a FS cat delete pipe on now...anyone want? hah

Here's quote I just got from them for cat (the "most" cat they make) and wastegate pipe... but I'm not sure if this would actually pass CA emissions... anyone know the answer?

Old 10-05-2022, 02:05 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by das76
@Megatron-UK I’m curious how much it was from Cargraphci? Fabspeed is $580usd and about 3-4 weeks for production
It was less than that, but not hugely. I think with import fees it has worked out around £400. At current exchange rates, that still compares favourably with the Fabspeed part (around 130-150USD cheaper) but not massively so.

I suspect if you are in the US, then it would still work out cheaper from Fabspeed without international shipping rather than getting the Cargraphic part shipped from Germany.

The Fabspeed parts in the UK are quite marked up in price compared to buying direct in the US, btw.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:24 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wicks
That's good looking stuff. The cargraphic bits looks more like an original part. I prefer not to add a bunch of shiny chrome where it doesn't belong, although I have a FS cat delete pipe on now...anyone want? hah

Here's quote I just got from them for cat (the "most" cat they make) and wastegate pipe... but I'm not sure if this would actually pass CA emissions... anyone know the answer?
That quote for the wastegate bypass pipe is very, very cheap. If you are actually able to get it for that, I'd take it. It's listed at 295 Euros on their site:

https://www.cargraphic.de/en/your-ve...-turbo/p65wgs/
Old 10-05-2022, 10:05 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I agree,.... $195 US$$ for a wastegate pipe from FS is below half price for what they were even selling at the Carlisle PA Porsche swap meet back in April. Buy it. Buy it now.

Quick Reply: That's what you call 'well corroded' - wastegate