Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HELP! Some pointers pls!

Hi Everyone

I booked my car into the local Porsche Dealer - not for a service, but for a medical .

See, she has not been performing at peak lately. I have no evidence of this - just my butt-o-meter. Her engine feels a little rough, her enthusiasm is a little off, there is a clunk every now and then under her seat... you know - it's kinda like you can't really point to it, but you know its there 'cos you have been the one in her driver's seat for the last two years.

Maybe it is familiarity... I don't really know.

Anyway - so she's booked in as I said.

Here's what I wanted to ask:

Would you mind suggesting a list of things for me to ask them to check? What about a blow-down - or is it a leakdown? What about checking her blow-off valve?

Seriously, any pointers really appreciated!

...and anyone who rea ANY other meaning into my description above should be ashamed of themselves...
Old 03-22-2004, 01:52 AM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Kev,

Saw your car on the corner of Collins and King this arvo. Car looks fantastic. Sounded alright.

Fellow Expat Frans
Old 03-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by shesminetoo
Hi Kev,

Saw your car on the corner of Collins and King this arvo. Car looks fantastic. Sounded alright.

Fellow Expat Frans
Hi Frans

I noticed you standing staring at the car while I was waiting to turn. From memory you walked up King a few steps and then turned and went back to the corner?

The reason I noticed was everyone normally just stands on the corner with blank looks waiting to cross the road - whereas you really gave the car a good working over with your eyes...

...and I feel privileged to have prompted your first post

How long you been lurking (I mean that in the nicest way). Do you own a Porsche? Tell us more?

Old 03-22-2004, 07:16 PM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Kev,

Been "Lurking" for a while. Yes it was me you noticed. I saw your number plate and realised i've seen that somewhere before! Just thought it was quite a coincidence that I saw your car and then read your post shortly after. I am not currently in a Porsche, but looking. There was a pretty C2T at Weltmeisters a while ago that nearly got me, but white just isn't the right colour for that car. My friend and collegue recently bought a 993TT and that's impressive, but more than I want to spend. I'm not in a hurry though, probably take the step towards August.

Cheers!

Frans
Old 03-22-2004, 09:37 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Kevin, How are you doing lately?

If you want to have questions to ask. I would start with these.

1. Checking for boost leaks (at the throttle body), and the connection to the turbo.

2. Do a compression test and leak down test to see if anything will show up. If you have 1 cylinder with excessive leak down or low compression as compare to others you might have a problem on that cylinder. Remember to do the test with the engine warm for more accurate.

Other than that, just have a look and check for anything unusal, like sparkplugs lead lose...

Good luck and keep us updated.

Regards,

Sonny
ps: Also look for leaks at the exhaust too.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:43 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Kevin,
The two areas I would look at are,
a). The gasket between the intercooler and the engine and
b). The wastegate spring.
You did not state if you noticed a reduction in measured boost on your display.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: It might just be in desperate need of a good hot run to burn out all the gunk from city driving.

Quick Reply: HELP! Some pointers pls!