Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo market

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 12:48 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 125 Posts

Just look at the rust on the original rear shocks. After thirty years all the suspension is shot.
Sorry but this one needs a full restoration.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:51 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
^^ Something going on with this car. The speedlines have been reworked improperly and one of the wheels they used RH bolts. The Vin sticker is missing on the passenger door jamb so there is paintwork that needs explaining possible panel replacement? There are a bunch of plugs that don't belong, I am assuming a PDR drilled to fix dents. Also the wheel wells should be painted black, however we are learning that some late MY 93/94's did not have the door surrounds by the cards painted black like this one so maybe they did not paint the wheel wells black as well but this is a first for me. I see what could be damage in the wheel wells and for some reason someone painted the undercoating black on the under side.
The wheel wells were painted black on 3.6 cars regardless of car color? Wow, after owning Pcars since 1984 they have always been body color. I did not know that.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:31 AM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Re the Guards Red 3.6… the speedline offsets and widths do not appear to be correct for a widebody. Can anyone confirm by part numbers?
Old 04-17-2023, 10:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
The wheel wells were painted black on 3.6 cars regardless of car color? Wow, after owning Pcars since 1984 they have always been body color. I did not know that.
Of the numerous 3.6T's I have looked at the wheel wells were painted black on lighter colors like white, red, even my cobalt. They did not do this on the earlier turbos or NB cars AFAIK. However we are learning they did some strange things in late 93-94. Just as the lower rockers are painted black on light colors and body color on darker colors.

Originally Posted by JCL59
Re the Guards Red 3.6… the speedline offsets and widths do not appear to be correct for a widebody. Can anyone confirm by part numbers?
The part numbers are correct ending in 13600 and 14000.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:57 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by das76
looks like a nice driver / fix it up project for someone! @audipwr1 are you still looking?
still low I may bid but am sure reserve is at the moon

anyone see any issues on this 3.3 BaT car?
Old 04-18-2023, 07:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Doesn't look like a bad car but trying to make heads or tails out of the records is tough. They aren't in chronological order but seems the car has had lots of work for the miles and things like A/C and battery draw are noted frequently. It isn't well presented and there are no paint meter readings. I don't understand why paint readings aren't mandated since they are always asked for and need to be added later if at all.

GL it hasn't moved much so far.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:57 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Of the numerous 3.6T's I have looked at the wheel wells were painted black on lighter colors like white, red, even my cobalt. They did not do this on the earlier turbos or NB cars AFAIK. However we are learning they did some strange things in late 93-94. Just as the lower rockers are painted black on light colors and body color on darker colors.
Was the black painted over the car color? How was it done?? You've got my interest on this one.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Was the black painted over the car color? How was it done?? You've got my interest on this one.
yes it was painted over the cars color but done prior to installing the wheel liners.

You can see a little cobalt showing through. Removing the wheel liner will show it was done prior to cosmoline which made its way to covering some of the black. This was after I removed the original cosmoline. Not a fan of the stuff. This appears to be another based on color so the cars I know that have the lower rockers painted black had the wheel wells done as well. I have a friend with a metallic black 3.6T purchased new and his are not painted black but neither are his rockers neither were the midnight blue car that I know was all original paint as well. I don't believe they did this on the 3.3's but if anyone has any info on that please post.

Last edited by cobalt; 04-18-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:46 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Anthony for the explanation! I have a probably unique thought about this. In my youth I went through a few different brands of cars starting with American, then MG, Fiat and then a BMW. When I got my 320I I was amazed by the build quality compared to what I had previously and especially the fuse box under the hood. I would just stare at it and try to imagine the hours some engineers put into making it perfect. When I then got my first Pcar a few years later I had the same feeling about the complete high quality paint job on every part of the uni-body, thicker than most in the unseen areas. And the wheel wells showed this off the best for me. I bought a power washer just to keep this area clean so the color would show from certain angles. Little did I know it wasn't as important to Porsche.

Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks Anthony for the explanation! I have a probably unique thought about this. In my youth I went through a few different brands of cars starting with American, then MG, Fiat and then a BMW. When I got my 320I I was amazed by the build quality compared to what I had previously and especially the fuse box under the hood. I would just stare at it and try to imagine the hours some engineers put into making it perfect. When I then got my first Pcar a few years later I had the same feeling about the complete high quality paint job on every part of the uni-body, thicker than most in the unseen areas. And the wheel wells showed this off the best for me. I bought a power washer just to keep this area clean so the color would show from certain angles. Little did I know it wasn't as important to Porsche.

Thanks again.
Another 320I owner!! Mine was silver/blue. My first new car. I lowered it, put wider wheels and Foha spoilers, etc. At the time we thought it was a fast car. IIRC 0-60 in 11 sec. But I always loved 911's. I gave up on BMW after my 01 740iL. Great car with too many issues. After restoring a 71E I haven't looked back. I don't drive mine as often as i like but I never tire of the sounds and feel of an A/C 911.

I am not sure why Porsche did some of the things they did and why we have periods of things like this being done or in the case of the doors the surrounds around the door cards not being painted black on some 93-94 cars but did for all prior and later 911's. It may just remain an enigma.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:58 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Another 320I owner!! Mine was silver/blue. My first new car. I lowered it, put wider wheels and Foha spoilers, etc. At the time we thought it was a fast car. IIRC 0-60 in 11 sec. But I always loved 911's. I gave up on BMW after my 01 740iL. Great car with too many issues. After restoring a 71E I haven't looked back. I don't drive mine as often as i like but I never tire of the sounds and feel of an A/C 911.

I am not sure why Porsche did some of the things they did and why we have periods of things like this being done or in the case of the doors the surrounds around the door cards not being painted black on some 93-94 cars but did for all prior and later 911's. It may just remain an enigma.
Very neat! I thought mine was a sports car....not. But I always wanted a 911 from reading R&T in high school but could not afford one. At one point while owning the 320 I went to look at a 71 t and was ready to to pull the trigger when I asked one too many questions.... What's with this oil leak? Seller, oh that's from on top of the motor so you will have to drop it to fix it. What? I didn't know that that was just a few bolts and it comes out and this would be my DD so I passed. Bought a new 325e(junk) and then a Euro 323i Alpina(great car!) but still had the 911 itch so not long after got my first Pcar. Very similar story to yours. Cool!
Old 04-20-2023, 09:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Very neat! I thought mine was a sports car....not. But I always wanted a 911 from reading R&T in high school but could not afford one. At one point while owning the 320 I went to look at a 71 t and was ready to to pull the trigger when I asked one too many questions.... What's with this oil leak? Seller, oh that's from on top of the motor so you will have to drop it to fix it. What? I didn't know that that was just a few bolts and it comes out and this would be my DD so I passed. Bought a new 325e(junk) and then a Euro 323i Alpina(great car!) but still had the 911 itch so not long after got my first Pcar. Very similar story to yours. Cool!
A friend at the time had a 323 Alpina, he was in the fragrance industry. Now that was a cool car. It is a small world.
The following users liked this post:
Steven C. (04-21-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 07:13 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,306 Posts

PTS Lavender Blue Japanese market 3.6 going up for auction in June. Here’s when it was on Pcarmarket a few years ago.

https://www.broadarrowauctions.com/v...-911-turbo-3-6

Last edited by RapidGT; 04-27-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
PTS Lavender Blue Japanese market 3.6 going up for auction in June. Here’s when it was on Pcarmarket a few years ago.

https://www.broadarrowauctions.com/v...-911-turbo-3-6
Is this car sold by RPM about a year back?

I heard of someone looking to sell a 3.3 91 Amethyst over black with magenta piping but wants $250k.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:48 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Is this car sold by RPM about a year back?

I heard of someone looking to sell a 3.3 91 Amethyst over black with magenta piping but wants $250k.
Correct the same 3.6.

I know GRP is selling a Amethyst/black Japanese market ‘92 3.3 asking $280k. Was on Pcarmarket a year and a half ago.

https://www.grahamrahalperformance.c...67389?ref=list

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo market