94 3.6 Turbo...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Roman Mayer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 3.6 Turbo...what to do?

I am starting a new thread on this.

Cajun was very helpful and checked the car out today.

Essentially it looked good other than bent smile (easy repair), a little minor wheel arch on one wheel, 2 small scratchs.

Tires interior, paint looked great.

The problem is on carfax the car was a stolen recovery in florida and issued a rebuilt title as it was a total loss @ one to the insurance company.

It has a clear title (not salvaged title) in LA.

So essentially we have what looks like a clean car that was rebuilt because of parts that were removed.

Milage checked out.

I think we can run the Vin against the Porsche database to see if they rebuilt it and if so what went into it.

Other than that who do you think this effects value if it passes PPI?

I need some advice on this one.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 05:39 PM
John S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the car passes the PPI, and you like it, and you plan to drive the crap out of it, I say go for it.

If the car passes the PPI, and you like it, but you are thinking that you want to make the car a weekend, low-mileage car and then sell it later on, I might say to pass, because you will have trouble selling it just like this guy.

I don't have to tell you what to do if it doesn't pass the PPI.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Roman Mayer
Advanced

It will be a 6-7k mile a year daily driver...not a garage queen.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:11 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

I would not buy the car unless you can document what was stolen off the car, and who rebuilt it. I would want a full parts list, and the certification of the work done. Without that, I would not even bother putting $$ into a PPI.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:12 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

I personally have never bought a car on just the initial purchase price.I always have certain criteria that the car has to meet before i even consider the price.To me things like,ownership,service records and whether the car has been babied or not is very very important.
When i was looking for my C2T i didn't consider one particular 94 3.6 T just 'coz on the the initial PPI,the mechanic told me that the car seems to have been driven and does not seem to have been babied.I could have picked that car up for $50,000 with 38,000 miles but i passed.
So like John said,if you want a weekend baby thing then you probably want to pass on this one otherwise if you want a daily driver and will not be selling it soon then go for it.However remember one thing,it is a special car and you won't find many buyers for it ( rebuilt title ).
Btw how much are they asking for it ?
Later, Yasir
Old 03-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Roman Mayer
Advanced

All valid points.

I agree if it was to be bought resale would be tough. I would have to consider it a keeper.

I am running VIN in the hopes Porsche did the work. Since it was stolen as new There is a fair chance that this is what happened.

They are asking 42.5....I think it could be had for 38k.

61k miles.

Myles was pretty exited after he saw it so it seems to be i good shape.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:39 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Roman,
I am not sure what you mean by Porsche did the work. Th eonly way that Porsche would have done the work was if it was shipped to Germany and delivered to Werk 1. From the price I doubt this.
In the USA you have PCNA which is just a distributor of Porsche cars and then you have the dealers which are all privately owned organisations.
None of these are Porsche. To the best of my knowledge PCNA did approve a paint shop years ago in Las Vegas Nevada but I was told that has since gone out of business.
Who did the work by the way is also pretty irrelevant. It is either good quality work or it is not. This is best inspected by your friendly local car wreck assessor from your insurance company. These guys are often very adept at picking up details. Hopefully he will have his paint depth guage which he can use to scan the paintwork. To me the paint work/crash repairs are more critical than engine work or parts replacements. I would advise that you have the "JOB" looked over by an expert. My concern is rust and if the job is not done properly and the Turbo is exposed to the elements as a daily driver then in a year you may be battling rust.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 03-20-2004, 11:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I have to agree with Adrian on this one.

If the Insurance company wrote the car off It was either stripped to the bone or it had more damage than meets the eye. You need a PPI done buy someone who is very familiar with 3.6 turbos and the 964 in general. Otherwise many, on the surface and seemingly insignificant things may bight you later.

Then again If the car will sell for $38k and passes the PPI you have a car you can beat the crap out of and not diminish its value all that much. I have seen theft recovery cars with salvage titles, missing many major components, damaged rims, needing engine work, complete repaint and interiors sell for $30k.

I guess you need to decide what you plan on doing with it.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,

I went and took a good hard look at the car yesterday for Roman. If the car was extensively damaged, whomever put it back together definitely knew what the hell they were doing.

All of the gaps lined up, there was no rust, the paint looked EXCELLENT with only one scratch and a chip on the side. The flaws in the appearance of the car were EXTREMELY minor and few in number.

Apparently, the story behind the car is this: It was stolen when it was brand new from a dealership in Florida (the owner guessed Brumos???) and immediately recovered (those were his words). At some point, the car was sold to a dealer in Conn, and then bought out of Conn. by a gentleman in N.O. who owned the car for several years. A couple of months ago, the last owner traded it in on a new Benz and this dealership bought it off of the Mercedes dealer... The owner of the dealership where the car is located offered the name of the Previous owner, and he also happened to know where the car was serviced for the past few years. So, if Roman decides to pursue this, he can speak with the previous owner and get the service history from the past few years.

According to the dealership owner, the car sat on the showroom floor for over a week before I got there and from what I saw, there were no oil stains on the floor beneath it. The engine was clean, and there was no smoke/hesitation when the car was started. Underneathh the car look very good. There was no rust or signs the car had ever been run over anything.

The only thing that drew my concern was the interior. The kick panel at the bottom of the dash was a darker shade of brown than the seats/carpet etc. The owner of the dealership (and also the guy who showed me the car) speculated that the interior was stolen out of it. He verified that the vin on the engine matched the vehicle (so apparently the engine did not make its way out of the car) and that they had completed the service. He also told me that he had been personally using the car for the past couple of months and had put 2k miles on it with no problems.

In my opinion, for what Roman intends to use the car for, it is a steal (of course pending PPI results)

The car is absolutely gorgeous in person, very unique and "cool". Of course, as car guys, we know that we should never let our emotions determine a purchase, but pending a successful PPI, this car could be a good deal with the only strikes against it being a questionable history prior to its life in Louisiana.

Cajun
Old 03-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roman,

I forgot to mention, I talked to my Buddy who is the computer guru at Brian Harris Porsche. He will run the Vin for you Monday morning and dig up everything he can find about this car. If Porsche has a record of it, he will find it.

As soon as I hear from him on Monday, I will let you know. I will also ask him to get a hard copy of his findings so I can have them faxed to you...

Myles
Old 03-22-2004, 12:14 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

how much would you be getting the car for? Do you have any photos? I think I cam into the middle of a long story.

By the way, this is my 964th post, how convenient
Old 03-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Roman Mayer
Advanced

Adrian thanks for the correction, I meant a Porsche dealer...not porsche themselves. If it was a dealer when we run the VIN we may see the work done.

Cobalt, I agree with you on the solid PPI. I may have the shop that has been maintaining look @ it (I will speak to them first) as they must know something about these cars.

They are asking 42.5 but have had the car a few months and I would imagine are ready to move it.

I will try and attach photos (never tried before).
Old 03-22-2004, 10:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

It sounds like, depending on the results of the PPI, you may have a very nice car for a serious bergen basement price. I would try to work them down, based on the history, but even at $42.5 if there are no major issues other than the title it sounds a lot nicer then some cars I have seen sell for more $$ that have had major repair issues.

Good Luck
Old 03-22-2004, 06:53 PM
TUNER

Hey guys
is the car white with black interior.
if so I know the real story.
cheers
Bryan
Old 03-22-2004, 10:05 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member