964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

High-pitched wheezing sound when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 04:12 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High-pitched wheezing sound when cold

I've just noticed that when I start my car cold (after sitting for more than a couple of hours), I hear a high-pitched wheezing sound out of the engine area that gets worse when I get on the throttle. After a few minutes, once the car has warmed, it seems to go away. I was pulling the car out of the garage and my wife was leaving. She told me the car sounds horrible - she's always been against this car.

Any ideas on what it might be?

Frank
1991 C2T - Michael B. of Imagine Auto's former car
Old 03-08-2004, 02:28 AM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank,

I have the same problem, but the sound only last about 15-25 seconds. It happens only when I don't drive the car for more than a few days.

In the course of a day, it happens only once. After that everything is back to normal.

I've traced my problem to the belt tensioner/sensor mounted on middle left and lower down near the fan housing. It has a small wheel on it. If the belt broke for any reason, this sensor will trigger the warning light on the dash.

I have had some success with spraying some wd-40 on this wheel. But if I left the car park too long I will hear it again, but very briefly. On mine, it happens all the time when not driving for a few days and not just on cold days.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 03-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

If it is coming from the RR. right hand side of the car, I would add to what Sonny said the possibility of having to check out the "A/C clutch" (that's how they call it here.). I had mine changed after having the exact same symptoms, that only get worse with time.

Quick Reply: High-pitched wheezing sound when cold