Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 3.6 at a reasonable price point

Old 05-17-2018, 02:26 AM
Jess996
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m interested to know as well why this car haven’t been sold, any member here done any inspection on this car?
Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

This car was originally for sale by Robb Francis in Peapack that is where the pictures were taken. I saw the car about a year ago and it was a bit rough but what I consider a relatively honest car for reasonable money. i did not give it an intensive look over and know of a couple of people who were interested and passed on it looking for a nicer example. It did have a go at BaT but reserve not met at $137k. Not sure why the car didn't sell. It was in better condition than the silver one that also did not sell on BaT that brought more a week or so before.

For some reason everyone thinks they will find a pristine example for $150k which has proven to be a pipe dream. Decent drivers like this should be selling for $150k to $175k or so but the truly nice pristine low mile examples are privately trading hands for between $250k and $340k. Several very nice examples have sold for these numbers in the past year.

I know of over a dozen people looking for these and everyone wants a pristine car for driver money. It might happen but I highly doubt it. Cars like these just sit as people get an education.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:11 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
... Decent drivers like this should be selling for ....
I agree Anthony. So here's my impression of what's going on,.. & maybe why this one hasn't sold,...

You called it a "Driver",.... I'll add to that, & call it "Drivers CONDITION" ... and if that's true, ... then the problem is that "most" buyers that are considering a '94 3.6, are probably looking at it as an investment with the hopes of profit down the road {which is of course now combined with their new-found absolute LOVE for this body style RIGHT!! Lol},.. and so they plan to let it SIT in a collection or garage somewhere, with very limited "driving". Their intent is not to buy a "Driver",.... but rather, like you said, a pristine example,... and can't find one at a "drivers price".

By definition: A person who is a "Driver" is willing to spend cash to improve, maintain & otherwise put $$$ into their car because they want it to DRIVE well,... for their driving pleasure. It is just the COST of doing business / cost of ownership. We suck it up.
But folks who do not care if they get X number of Twisty Road Drives per year,... are really looking at future $$ ROI.

You said it well in your last comment, which is DEAD ON CORRECT....
Originally Posted by cobalt
... I know of over a dozen people looking for these and everyone wants a pristine car for driver money. ... Cars like these just sit as people get an education.
Now SOME of the 3.6's out there truly do have a valid & good reason for sitting. Super low mileage, movie cars, cars owned by celebrities, etc. Those surely deserve to be put on another level as a collectible, and can command the attention & pricing.

To me, it's just a shame that it has come to this with all the average examples out there. I am SUCH a "driver" type person, that I hate the fact that these were once, in their hay-day, driven & enjoyed like what they were made-for,... and now have become dust collectors sitting on speculation. That just bugs me. J & I just love driving ours so much that I thank my lucky stars we bought ours so long ago. If I did not already own a 964T, there would be no way I could get into one now. It would just not be justifiable in our lives,... and I would be missing one of the most pleasurable aspects of owning one of these toys.

And this is why I LOVE the fact that you still drive yours Tony. In your heart of hearts, you are a driver too.
my .02
=Steve
Old 05-17-2018, 11:49 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

On there website its listed as sold.......as well as 2 others they had.

No price, but I guess they are moving them.

Mike
Old 05-18-2018, 08:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

^^^ Good to know, I am surprised some of these went unsold for as long as they have. Frank's Midnight blue he sold to HRM I know sold at close to the $295k asking price after sitting for over a year. Someone got a nice example there. A bunch of others seem to be moving finally. Unfortunately most of these cars are not in the virgin condition that collectors want or are willing to pay up for. Although there have been low mile examples with complete resprays bringing $300k which I don't get.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

A top shape / low mileage 964 turbo is still a good deal for actual use, if one compares the eventual appreciation of earlier cars - my 73 s is worth about 26X what it sold for originally. These are still in the 2X range even at $250K.

BARGAIN!

Get em while you can.

Quick Reply: 3.6 at a reasonable price point