Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Alignment spec question...

Old 05-11-2018, 02:47 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts
Angry Alignment spec question...

The dealer, lacking a 964 Turbo alignment spec in their Hunter rig, set it to RS America specs to do my alignment. I fear this was done incorrectly, now that I am going through the Bentley book. Here is the spec shown in there. There seem to be meaningful differences, such as the front camber spec'd at 0 for the turbo suspension. Do we know that these numbers in the Bentley book are the correct specs?

And here is the alignment as done by dealer:

Last edited by wicks; 05-11-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 657 Posts

Hey Wicks.

Of course much of this depends on whether you have a completely original stock suspension, stock ride height, and are running original stock 17" rims with original offsets.
Assuming all of that is the case for you (it seems that way, since over on the "Tool Kit" thread you are looking for all-original stuff)....

Sure you can have them re-do your settings based on Porsche's original setting recommendations,... "Meaningful Differences" you said?,... I don't think so. Here's my opinion...

Negative 0.25 and - 0.33 in your fronts, compared to - 0.00, is so very negligible for your front tires. I'm running wider 18" rims/tires with higher offsets to the outside, and running -0.99 in the front.

Rears: I don't see the Bentley recommendation in degrees for the rears. But - 0.84 seems pretty low to me. Again I'm running a whole different suspension, RS ride height setup & 18" RH36 rims with 285's in the rear, and I needed a touch more negative camber to ensure I do not rub when hitting it with hard G's in the twisty corners,... and I'm running -1.8 degrees in my rears. Over the past 3k miles or so I'm not noticing any harsh wear issues on the inner tread blocks.

YMMV (pun intended). Doesn't seem to far off to me.

=Steve
Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Alignment depends on you, how you drive (aggressive on canyon roads or city driving) and how the car feels to you.
Your settings seem to be close to stock. My recommendation is to run as much caster as possible, front toe at the factory spec (I run <0> toe) and total rear toe at 15 minutes/side vs the 30 minutes you are set at. The rear toe is the most important to get a stable feeling car. I think you will have that but your tire wear may not be optimal with big toe settings.
If you are mechanically inclined, you can do your own alignments. I do my own so I've experimented with camber and ride heights somewhat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment spec question...