Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Pre-filling Engine Oil Filter - Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 03:13 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre-filling Engine Oil Filter - Possible?

Hi Everyone,
I just mounted a C2 Turbo Oil Filter Console on my '85 930 engine rebuild. Is it possible to prefill the filter prior to mounting? I want to minimize the time it takes to pressurize the oil galleries prior to startup since the oil filter has to fill first before it goes to the galleries. I tried filling it with oil but there appears to be a check valve in place that prevents the oil from getting into the filter when filling by gravity.
Thanks.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Putting oil in the filter is not necessary.
Remember that there's a lot of residual oil in the engine after you drain it and the crank and rods run on a thin film of oil under load, so cranking at 200 rpm with no load (or whatever speed the engine spins at on the starter) isn't going to hurt a thing.
When you do an oil change, add 5-6 quarts, pull the fuel pump relay and crank the engine to move that oil over to the oil tank. Watch the oil pressure gauge and stop when the engine develops pressure. You are now ready to add the rest of the oil.
BTW, oil passages are called galleys, not galleries (that's where you hang your paintings )
Old 12-29-2017, 04:56 PM
WERK-I
Pro

I'm not changing the oil. This is a fresh engine build and and trying to minimize the time to pressurize the oil galleys during cranking.

" BTW, oil passages are called galleys, not galleries (that's where you hang your paintings ) " ---- LOL
Old 12-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WERK-I
I'm not changing the oil. This is a fresh engine build and and trying to minimize the time to pressurize the oil galleys during cranking.
The engine builder would have coated all the bearing surfaces (crank, rods and cams) with assembly lube just for that reason; start-up of a "green" engine.
He should have recommended a break-in oil to run for a short time too.
Nonetheless, you will have to transfer oil from the crankcase to the oils in the manner that I described because you cannot get 10 quarts of oil in a 5 quart space.
Spinning the engine without starting it will accomplish what you desire. You will pressurize the oil system by doing this and since the engine is not actually firing there will be no load on the rod bearings, which see the most load during running conditions.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:36 PM
WERK-I
Pro

I'm the "engine builder"
I used plenty of assembly lube, so no problem there. Not worried about the bottom-end, but the top end is what concerns me. With the cams rotating and rocker acceleration and deceleration, the lube tends to sling off. I suspect it will take twice as long to pressurize the galleys than it did before without the engine mounter oil filter console because the pump has to fill the oil filter with nearly a quart of oil. The engine is twin-plugged so I remove the lower plugs to prime the oil circuit pretty quickly when cranking over.
I'm going to devise a hollow fitting to screw into the filter to overcome the spring pressure in the filter housing then fill the filter through the fitting with oil. That'll do it.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:01 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A galley is where you cook on a ship. Think you'll find gallery is the most common term but galley is also used. Perhaps it is a trans-Atlantic thing.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964X33
A galley is where you cook on a ship. Think you'll find gallery is the most common term but galley is also used. Perhaps it is a trans-Atlantic thing.
Yes, some mistakenly call it a gallery.
A galley is also a type of ship.
Go try to buy an oil gallery plug. You won't find one but you can get an oil galley plug.
Anyway, I work in the automotive business and there it's called galley.

Quick Reply: Pre-filling Engine Oil Filter - Possible?