Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Smoke coming out vents

Guys-

I also posted this on the 964 board fyi

Ok so recently I had an oil hose split (the big L shaped one from case to tank pipes) and it dumped several quarts of oil - first onto the passenger side heat exchanger before hitting the ground. I've replaced the hose and refilled the oil. No more leak. I wiped down but did not clean the HE prior to start up - so it will take some time to burn off the remaining residue.

Getting to my question - while idling in the garage for a while it definitely smoked. When I turned the heat on quite a bit of smoke came out of the vents. Smoke also came out of the cowl area (I had the drip tray removed to inspect operation of the mixing servos). When I turned the A/C on the smoke pretty much went away - or was greatly reduced.

Does this smoke getting into the HVAC mean I have ripped HVAC tubing somewhere? Or just a natural consequence of lots of oil dripping onto the HE?

Thanks guys-

Brandon
'00 Audi S4 - heavily modified DD
'91 911 Turbo
Old 08-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Does this smoke getting into the HVAC mean I have ripped HVAC tubing somewhere? Or just a natural consequence of lots of oil dripping onto the HE?
If your using the climate control to mix warm and cold air, then the smoke is coming in from the heat exchanger.
It's got to smell like oil, big time. It will eventually burn off.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

So it does sound like a natural consequence of spilling all that oil onto the HE. But what about the smoke coming out of the cowl area where the servos are? Isn't there an accordian type hose in the (passenger? - or is it both footwells?) that is known to tear over time? Seems I may have a little issue if smoke is escaping into the cowl, no?

Thanks

Brandon
'00 Audi S4 highly modified DD
'91 911 Turbo
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
So it does sound like a natural consequence of spilling all that oil onto the HE. But what about the smoke coming out of the cowl area where the servos are? Isn't there an accordian type hose in the (passenger? - or is it both footwells?) that is known to tear over time? Seems I may have a little issue if smoke is escaping into the cowl, no?
If your drawing smoke in from torn hoses in the cabin, call 911 because your car is on fire.
I would logically assume that even though the heat is shut off in your car, there is still a small draw of heat into the system. Also, I would bet that all the seals in the climate control unit have perished and that's why you are seeing smoke under the cowl.
Try washing out the heat exchanger with Dawn dish detergent.
Check those hoses you are worried about. They are easy to get to and I've had to replace mine.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:19 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Late to the party, but here is what happened to me. I have a Fabspeed header/exhaust setup with heat. The car is lowered, and the exhaust had bottomed out. The welds between the headers and the pipes INSIDE the heater box had cracked. During nice warm weather, the AC is pulling air from outside and cooling it. When you turn on the heat, the system pulls air from the heater boxes around the exhaust, and with the crack, is pulling raw exhaust and pumping it into the cabin. I have had the leak repaired, but still run with a Carbon Monoxide detector under my seat.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharker
The welds between the headers and the pipes INSIDE the heater box had cracked
WTF? There should not be any welds inside of the heat exchanger! There should be a single piece primary running through the HE. Porsche (and a few of it's customers) learned this back in the 60s... If you have access to "UpFixin Der Porsche" there was a decent write-up on this problem from back then.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the piece. There are definitely welds in that box..

Quick Reply: Smoke coming out vents