Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Speedline Clones - RH Wheels vs Kerscher

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Speedline 3.6 Turbo set is a 3 piece wheel allowing changes to sizes and replacing inner or outer rims should damage occur because of a hard pot hole hit. The RH set is also a 3 piece wheel design. The Kerscher is a one piece wheel manufactured to look like a 3 piece wheel. It is a very inexpensive wheel compared to the others. A few sets have been put on the 965 cars, but many owners remove them quickly because they just are not Speedlines or the RH sets. jdorociak@gmail.com Jim
Old 03-19-2019, 02:32 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by There's no Sub!
I’ll I’ve seen is opinions
can somebody please write what the Differencesare of the two different wheels and the wait and actually do some sort of comparison instead of everybody’s opinions and telling and explaining whether the polish looks polished or not.
it’s not that I don’t appreciate everyone’s opinion but this thread was designed to compare these two wheels yet nobody has actually done a statistical comparison which material wait offset

Hmmm, tough words from a guy who did not start the thread. Our 964 Turbo community is a tad nicer to each other here. Please take it down a notch.
Many of our threads take various directions, and you can always just ignore what you don't need. 964 Turbo sub-forum is not that heavily viewed / participated,... so we give each other broad range.

besides,... the OP said this...::
Originally Posted by jrgatfh
Hey Guys, Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving. I’m looking to do a bunch of things to the car over the winter and one of them is biting the bullet and finally upgrading the wheels. What’s the general consensus on RH vs Kerscher? Which wheels are more accurate clones? better quality? Etc. etc. I’ve tri’ed doing some research and couldn’t find anything definitive. RH’s website shows the wheels in 2-piece and 3-piece as well.
Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
That's a VERY large range of discussion topics, and thus I believe the conversation could indeed take all perspectives INCLUDING polished verses paint. AND I do believe we also did speak above on weight differences (unsprung), & Anthony spoke on the durability / hardness between the two, etc etc. And of course our resident expert JimD can pretty much give you ANY & EVERY spec difference you could ever want. Just ask a specific question.

To our community here: I think we've earned the right (based on OP's definition of this thread) to keep it broad.

Having said that,... "There's no Sub!" - it seems you want "statistics". hmmm. Care to further define?

& since this is ALL in good spirit,.. I'll add this:

Thank you "There's no Sub!" for re-igniting a older thread on this topic. I LOVE hearing what others like & want to do with their wheel setups. I'm still dealing with a weird offset rubbing issue that is only on one side (yet it is with a pre-2004 38-bolt version of my rear RH36 18" rim). Paul (MetalGuru), Jim D & Anthony have all chimed in to me over PM's, and I thank them ALL for their input. I'll report back out to you guys once I take Paul's last suggestion. I've been sick for a couple months now, and struggling to find garage time.

=Steve
Old 03-19-2019, 02:55 PM
There's no Sub!
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize that was direct I didn’t mean to be offensive me see if I can ask in a softer way does anybody have the specific specs of the sizes available in these two wheels and the specific weights to each wheel perhaps since this is an older thread if anybody would like to add a third wheel as another potential that is certainly welcome
( Sample)
RH 18 x8.5 3 piece 23.4 lbs
Rh 18 x 11 3 piece 25.2 lbs
Rh 18 x 10 2 piece 25.5 lbs
​​​​​​ ( above is not correct just a sample )
again I wasn’t trying to be harsh but I obviously see it was put across that way usually there’s more technical data and less opinions sorry all
Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Ahhh, very cool TNS. Thanks for saying that.

and yes, back at least 10 yrs ago, I had my tires off my rear RH36 18x10 ET54 rims, and weighed one of them individually,... but I could never FIND the damn weight reading that I took!! I must have written it on a napkin & then lost it. Dummy!
... sorry bout that. It would have at least been one good spec I could have contributed.

But very soon I do need to get new tires, so I will for sure remember this time to weigh fronts & backs. or maybe another expert on this thread has those weight numbers.

Then again, the vintage of the rims may also cause a difference, as I'm sure the aluminum materials used, have probably changed / improved too. So if anyone is weighing theirs, we should also probably state what year they were manufactured. Mine are clearly pre-2004, as they are the original 38 bolt. Alurad now only sells the 40 bolt.

=Steve
Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

I have an older set of 38 hole RH wheels coming in this week and before I disassemble I will weigh and post the individual weights. The early 38 hole 3 piece wheels actually used thinner material on the inner and outer barrels and are known to bend easily. This set will have new inner and outer rims installed and at the same time I am building 8.5 and 10.5" sizes - customer is excited. As I understand the Kerscher wheels are 8 & 9.5" x 18, but this is the extent of my knowledge of these wheels. jdorociak@gmail.com Jim
Old 03-24-2019, 03:56 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Ok I just weighed the 52 ET 8" RH 38 hole 3 piece 18" wheel = 25.2 lbs, rear 54 ET 10" 38 hole RH 3 piece 18" wheel = 23.6 lbs. jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 03-24-2019, 05:32 PM
There's no Sub!
Advanced

Thank you Jim that is awesome information any idea as to why the 10 inch wide would be 2 pounds lighter than the 8 inch . I’m not questioning your findings by any means just never seen that before
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Remember these are the oldest RH 3 piece wheels made because they were drilled 38 holes not the current 40 hole versions. I believe all the inner and outer rims were made of thinner base material before it is spun and shaped, and possibly with deeper parts being spun the material is stretched as it is worked and ends up being thinner on the larger wheel than the smaller front wheel, plus my scale is my bathroom scale and it is possible it just does not weight the same twice. These RH as well as Speedline wheels were never purchased or manufactured to be light in weight, but were developed first for the design and style and are accepted as the best looking, most correct, most sought after styling cue for any of the 964/965 series Porsche cars. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 03-25-2019, 12:13 AM
There's no Sub!
Advanced

Thanks Jim.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:32 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i have replica speedlines on my turbo. They actually came on a 964 speedster i bought. I have no idea who makes them. But they look great.

Quick Reply: Speedline Clones - RH Wheels vs Kerscher