964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

1992 Turbo for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 1992 Turbo for sale

Hello, is anyone here familiar with this 1992 currently for sale at P of Roslyn? A part of me really wants a 964 Turbo (currently have a 991 Turbo S) and was just wondering if this is a known specimen here and thoughts on the price?

http://showroom.auction123.com/porsc...sche_of_roslyn
Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Looks like it missing some heat exchanger parts and the air injection equipment. Check the paint thickness too. I'm sure our eagle-eyed members will find other anomalies with it.

Drive it before you buy it. It's a completely different animal than a 991 TS. As it has it's stock exhaust it won't feel very fast, especially when compared to a modern Turbo. It's also somewhat primitive feeling with regard to NVH.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Coming from a 991 Turbo S anything will feel slow.

I am not sure why they take pictures with exhaust parts missing. No doubt this had an aftermarket exhaust at one time and they have been cleaning and fixing it up. The front undercarriage is rough for such a low mileage car. It would appear they are doing a fair amount of work to the car to make it ready to sell. Hopefully it will be a needs little or nothing car.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Thanks - Yeah, I certainly appreciate that it's going way back in time in terms of comfort and performance but the idea of a well sorted 964 Turbo really appeals to me. Something I can buy and hold and not lose $1k per week in depreciation! It's amazing that this particular car has less mileage than my current one which is just 2 years old. There was another one in the for sale forums recently (1992 dark blue with grayish interior) that really planted the seed for me.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
Coming from a 991 Turbo S anything will feel slow.

I am not sure why they take pictures with exhaust parts missing. No doubt this had an aftermarket exhaust at one time and they have been cleaning and fixing it up. The front undercarriage is rough for such a low mileage car. It would appear they are doing a fair amount of work to the car to make it ready to sell. Hopefully it will be a needs little or nothing car.
Agree, it looks like maybe it was bottomed out a few times. Although I can't say I've never been there myself with previous cars.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

I find it interesting that this is a '92 MY, and was built in July of 1991,... whereas my '91 was built in Feb of 1991. 5 months apart.

I essentially have the same car,... albeit mine as 78k miles.

Also find it interesting that Porsche switched tires from Bridgestone (which is on my COA) in February '91,... to Yokohama in July (on this COA).

Nice looking example. Typical wear areas look appropriate for 16.5k miles. And from the external appearance it does not look like it has spent any time outside under the sun's UV. But from a time perspective, having spent 90+% of its time over the past 26 years sitting,... there are probably engine & suspension seals that might need replacing. Although at 16.5k miles, you are probably not looking to "drive" this one,... but rather put it in a collection (I'm guessing).

Paul pointed out the missing heat exchanger hoses missing. I also notice a few other very small things. But all-in-all this one looks very nice.

Pic below: Missing a few of the rubber Frunk drain plugs...

Pic below: This driver door seal looks good. Over time with lots of getting in-&-out, this seal can get torn...

Pic below: The seller should know better than to leave the rear wiper in this position...

Pic below: Does anyone know what this little thing is? (yellow arrow). This area looks like the driver front bumper (just above the lower valence), just in front of the tire.

I'll be passing by Roslyn (exit #'s in the 30's) on the LIE this Thursday. Might stop in & take a look.

=Steve
Old 07-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Hi Steve, good eye on your findings! I am not a collector and would want to drive the car, although no more than a 2-3k miles per year, and would want all seals replaced as needed. Would love to get your thoughts if you do have the chance to stop by and check it out. I'm about 2 1/2 hours away from there so can't readily just shoot down and check it out.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

hmm,.... that's a hefty price to pay for a 3.3 that will not be sitting in a collection,... and then driven 2-3k per year. Maybe I should sell you mine for $15k less than that! Lol.

Just kidding. We are not planning on selling ours,.... ever. It is just too engrained into our family memories (kids grew up cruising in the back seats, french fries spilled back there just like Mikie's... ).

Anyway, sure,... send me a PM, and lets trade contact info. That way I could call you while I'm looking at it. Have you called Roslyn Porsche to talk to a SR yet? Cuz that will probably be the only way I'll get any love while standing there. I'll have to bring a set of grubby cloths too, since I'm known for crawling along the ground looking at undercarriage's

Oh btw,... the FS ad on Roslyn website lists this car with a 3.0l. Prolly a mis-print.

Also interesting that they claim the car has full front end clear film. Whoever did that just to let it sit was crazy. Although I am currently considering that myself, now that we've had the CeramicPro done to the entire car,.. and are taking it on the PCA Asheville NC Treffen in September. And I'm familiar with XPEL Ultimate as that is what I have on my 2012 Cayenne Turbo. So I would certainly look at how well the film was put on this 964T (+ what type, & how long ago). Also looks like you already have CeramicPro on your 991 TTS too (seems you opted out of clear film on that car, but had it on previous cars).

Wonder how many previous owners this car has had? They claim to have service records from 2008.

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 07-25-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

It just dawned on me that I had seen this car before it was for sale at Town Motors back in 2014 looks like it only traveled 419 miles since. It says the car had 5 previous owners at the time so now maybe 6? Interesting they are claiming in service date of Jan-13-93 It must have sat for a year. Also what is up with Two new batteries in less than 18 months

I am attaching some pictures and as I recall it was a nice example. I did look underneath and I don't recall the underside being as clean or the damage being present to the frunk floor pan. Unfortunately the staff at Town has changed several times since.

Evan from Rosyln is a decent guy who are you dealing with?
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Hey Cobalt, the Carfax shows 7 previous owners, so quite a few! It looks like the last 3-4 owners put virtually no miles on the car, perhaps each hoping to flip it for a little uptick.

I should clarify the thread by mentioning that I am not currently at a buy it now stage for this car or a 964 just yet. So I haven't spoken to anyone at the dealer about it. I'm just trying to get some helpful insight and understand the market a little better before fully deciding whether this is a good generation for me. The prices I've seen recently seem to be pretty wide ranging among some pretty good examples (or at least what I would perceive to be good), including this one. I also want to drive the car and am not a collector (as much as I'd love to have a collection) so maybe a low mileage spec like this is no longer destined for that, even if I intended to keep it long-term.

Alex
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
Hey Cobalt, the Carfax shows 7 previous owners, so quite a few! It looks like the last 3-4 owners put virtually no miles on the car, perhaps each hoping to flip it for a little uptick.

I should clarify the thread by mentioning that I am not currently at a buy it now stage for this car or a 964 just yet. So I haven't spoken to anyone at the dealer about it. I'm just trying to get some helpful insight and understand the market a little better before fully deciding whether this is a good generation for me. The prices I've seen recently seem to be pretty wide ranging among some pretty good examples (or at least what I would perceive to be good), including this one. I also want to drive the car and am not a collector (as much as I'd love to have a collection) so maybe a low mileage spec like this is no longer destined for that, even if I intended to keep it long-term.

Alex
It is hard to get a fix on carfax sometimes. The info can be misleading but the number of owners is usually irrelevant. You can have one bad owner or 10 great ones. I only worry about records and condition. I know most of the specialty cars like the turbo S's have sometimes had many owners sometimes the same one twice or more and still have little miles on them.

If you have never driven a 964 turbo you need to before buying. These are very old school and unique driving cars. IMO they need some tweaking to get the real enjoyment out of them a more modern suspension at a minimum and possibly exhaust. I need to warm up to mine after not driving it for a while but once i do it suddenly comes back to me why I love them so much. Same goes for my 928. Compared to modern cars these cars are work to drive and require you to actually drive them vs all the electronic aids offered today. I guess that is why a Macan GTS can outrun a 944T at VIR by 10 seconds.

Our friend Mike with the BB car has a turbo S which he is in love with and I can understand why however I can't get my head around cars that I need to do 130+ mph to get any real thrill out of no matter how capable for street driving. Believe you me I would not turn one down they truly are amazingly capable.

If you want a unique and interesting car to drive the turbo boost is intoxicating. Some might even call them violent under WOT vs the smoothness of todays cars. Of all the cars I have driven over the years there is very little that feels quite like them. They will reward you when you drive them correctly and punish you when you don't. As far as cars of that period they were one of the best of an era.

Good luck in your search. There are a lot of nice cars out there with more mileage in great condition that you can buy if you don't plan to preserve this. I would suggest buy the nicest example you can afford I don't think you will get burned. The market will fluctuate but if the car is sound without any issues or needs you will have a lot of fun with it. Anything you buy today will depreciate at least these you can drive and at least come out where you started assuming it is a needs nothing car. If it goes up it is just gravy.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Damn, Anthony, after reading that I want to own a 965 (oh, that's right, I already do ).
I'm with you though on the driving dynamics.
I got a taste of that when I had my SC. My wife's cousin brought her then brand-new 997 Carrera to Detroit from Ft. Lee.
I drove the SC and Carrera back-to-back on NW suburban Detroit's alpine road (Kirkway Drive; that will have meaning for some). The Carrera had a much higher limit than the old SC but the SC was way more fun.
I should have never sold it.
The 965 has even higher limits that can't be explored on public roads. However, there's boost. And the way it looks.
Moral: if you want to set a lap record, you'll need a new Turbo. If you are looking for driver satisfaction, you need a 965 (or even something older).
Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

shoulda never sold our '79 SC either. Even though we had to rebuild the entire 3.0 from the bottom up in our garage, we still loved that car,... but it was also the springboard for our 964 Turbo, so I don't feel so bad knowing I got into the ultimate (IMO). And both were at a time where our kids were small, so the fact that they got to help turn wrenches on the SC when they were 4 & 5 yr olds,.. and then got to spend basically their entire youth in the backseat of our 964 Turbo,... well it ALL makes for good memories.

and yea, when BadBoys Mike took me for a ride in his 991TTS 2 weeks ago, it was an eye opener, which was even more surprising given wife & I had just come back from Germany & driven the new '17 911 Turbo around the mountains & Autobahn. Even though I think the new Turbo has like maybe 5 more HP than Mike's '15 TTS, Mike's is definitely quicker. I think they must gear them different. Fun car for sure!!

But I still would not give up our 964T. Just gotta figure out a way to have BOTH new gen & old!
=S
Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

^^^ Well stated Anthony! I can certainly appreciate older and more visceral. I used to have a ’69 firebird as a year-round daily - rain, shine, or snow. Winter tires, what were those? My first car was an ’85 GTi and boy did that have some stories, many of them involving duct tape! Nice thing about the newer gens is that I can still have some weekend fun and take the wife without issue or complaint. Not sure I could do that with an older gen (for better or worse!).

The 964 happens to be my favorite in terms of style, even more than, gulp, the 993 (just my preference). That’s what makes it so irresistible to me.

Alex
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Alex,

Sounds like you would fit right in here. I feel the same about the 964 obviously. As far as Mikes car, it is tweaked. Exhaust, suspension and a couple of other things IIRC. It is a sweet ride no doubt.

If you want to be fast, the TTS is no doubt the tool for the job. If you want to feel the excitement speed offers the 964 T is a different world.

PS: I miss my SC's as well they weren't fast but were great cars especially for the time.

Quick Reply: 1992 Turbo for sale