Sponsored by:

Targa vs Coupe Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:31 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks Greg, this is definitely helpful. Stay tuned....
Sometimes the search is the best part. My .02 just make sure you find a car that has been well cared for. I have driven some seriously beaten cabs and targas some with hidden rust where they reinforced the tub and the flex can be unsettling. I had a number of targas on my lift these past few months. I have seen some rock solid if I open the door on the lift and others that I needed to lower the car to the ground to get the doors to close once opened.

Something to consider.

I find it funny how in the 90's the cab was the 964 of choice with a lot more made than coupes in the years produced.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Sometimes the search is the best part. My .02 just make sure you find a car that has been well cared for. I have driven some seriously beaten cabs and targas some with hidden rust where they reinforced the tub and the flex can be unsettling. I had a number of targas on my lift these past few months. I have seen some rock solid if I open the door on the lift and others that I needed to lower the car to the ground to get the doors to close once opened.

Something to consider.

I find it funny how in the 90's the cab was the 964 of choice with a lot more made than coupes in the years produced.
Anthony I totally appreciate this info!

Having said that, I have done my due diligence on the car. It's a 1990 Targa with 68k miles that has been recently resealed with most of the typical 964 issues already resolved. Everything functions as it should with exception to an air leak at the front of the Targa Top.

Compression tests came back perfect as did the leak down. No visible leaks around the engine and the paint was metered and is factory on all panels. No rust anywhere and the car is in incredible condition from what I have seen in the pictures. Mileage verified through records and carfax.

I decided to roll the dice on this one and bought it sight unseen after getting the PPI results. The seller has been fantastic with providing info and pictures whenever I ask. I am stoked to get this one!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:59 PM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C2 Coupe now. However, my first 964 was a Targa.

I would like to add another Targa at some point - looked at one last year but the seller would not let me drive the car when I went to view!

Post some pics when the deal is done and you have the car. Sounds like a nice car.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Good move on the Targa, 964is the best of that breed.
The retro styling and success of the 991 Targa speaks volumes .
964 Targa are getting rare ,and it should continue appreciate.

Good luck with your purchase.
Elliot
Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by 964TOK
I have a C2 Coupe now. However, my first 964 was a Targa.

I would like to add another Targa at some point - looked at one last year but the seller would not let me drive the car when I went to view!

Post some pics when the deal is done and you have the car. Sounds like a nice car.
Originally Posted by Turbohead
Good move on the Targa, 964is the best of that breed.
The retro styling and success of the 991 Targa speaks volumes .
964 Targa are getting rare ,and it should continue appreciate.

Good luck with your purchase.
Elliot
Thank you for the wishes. I'm hoping to have eyes on the car on Monday evening and I'm already preparing for no sleep the night before.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Welcome to the Targa Club.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics and price please!
Old 04-21-2024, 09:44 PM
eggsandwich
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

I was looking for threads about Targas...there's not that many. Read this through with interest, but still no photos all these years later after such helpful input from Rennlisters!

I'm about to plunge into the world of air-cooled with a Targa too. Like many others I was thinking only coupes then couldn't pass this beauty up.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:44 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by eggsandwich
I was looking for threads about Targas...there's not that many. Read this through with interest, but still no photos all these years later after such helpful input from Rennlisters!

I'm about to plunge into the world of air-cooled with a Targa too. Like many others I was thinking only coupes then couldn't pass this beauty up.
Have you seen this thread? https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ga-thread.html

Quick Reply: Targa vs Coupe Question