Sponsored by:

Targa vs Coupe Question

Old 07-14-2017, 01:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts
Default Targa vs Coupe Question

I have been watching some of the pricing discussions on 964's and I'm hoping some of you with more experience can offer some insight on the cost delta seen between the coupes and targas. Specifically is it related to the added weight, body lines or chassis stiffness?

I've heard the newer Targa chassis were strengthened and really don't exhibit the same flex experienced in the earlier cars, so maybe a moot point?

More importantly, if you're not planning to track or compete with the car, does it still warrant going after a coupe and why?

I'm trying to gain a better understanding of the market as I may be jumping in.....assuming I can find something in my budget.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

The targa is built off the cabrio chassis. If you are considering both, I recommend test driving both to get a feel of how they perform and if the flex of the cab/targa chassis is a concern. My coupe does feel stiffer than my cab but I enjoy both for different reasons.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rob, that's good to know.

So if there's a difference in stiffness discernible in normal every day type driving I can see the reasoning for the difference. Still I'm not sure it will be enough to matter to me.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:33 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are not really competitively racing it then does stiffness really matter that much? At all?

I don't like convertibles so a cab was out. I do like the looks of the Targa, maybe better than the coupe, but at the end of the day, I never open the sunroof let alone a Targa top so it was a coupe for me all the way. Even thinking of doing a sunroof delete.

Not sure if any of this will help. I know guys that love cabs and guys that love Targas and guys like me that only want coupes.

What do you want?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always loved the look of a Targa, and beginning my Porsche journey with a 914, I'm a fan of the open top.

That said, my first 964 was a coupe, and I really liked it (which was traded in on a new '00 Boxster). When I began my search for a 964 my preference was a coupe, until I quickly realized that my soon to have 2 kids in college budget wouldn't cut a coupe. Price wise it's coupes, Targas, and cabs, with typically $8-10k difference top to bottom.

I ended up with a pretty nice Targa. I'm with rkwfxd in that a cab was never a consideration. My lovely co-pilot/girlfriend/wife told me that after owning it for a few months, she's glad we got the Targa. We take the roof off as much as weather allows. And I thought I was "settling" by getting one.

Unless you are doing track or DE events every opportunity, then get what you like. A good fast driver is going to be fast in pretty much every car he gets in.

Input from other immediate family is often prudent
Old 07-14-2017, 04:22 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was looking for coupe when a targa fell into my lap that i couldn't pass up. the plan was to enjoy the targa while continuing to shop for a coupe.

fast forward a couple of years and targa has grown on us (wife, kids). i never put the top on unless we're caught out in weather and i don't use it for anything other than a weekend car.

the targa (imho) is kind-of a clumsy (is unique a better term?) compromise of a coupe and convertible--in both structure and appearance.

would i like to have a coupe? yes, but that's just because i prefer the look. am i going to pay current coupe pricing? no, too many other options out there at that price point.

good luck with your search--they're all great cars.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

My dad has a 964 cab, and I'm always impressed with how rigid it feels when I drive it. It has very little flex, especially compared to a Miata for example (which jiggles all over the place). I wouldn't want one at all if it felt like a Miata. A 964 cab is pretty stout and drives very well compared to a coupe, plus I love the increased engine noise - top up or down. I'm sure the Targa is the same in both regards, if not better due to the increased rigidly of the Targa hoop and rear glass.

Plus, it's cool that it's such a low numbers car.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:22 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I used to have targas. They are actually much nicer to daily drive than the coupe. Visability is much better. The downside is the roof seals, air and water leaks, and do course the squeaky roof. For track work you will want a coupe.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I genuinely appreciate the thoughtful responses!

Personally I prefer the body lines of the Targa although I suspect I'm not the majority with that opinion. Having the Spyder I really don't want another convertible and mechanical tops have always scared me as they just add to the complexity of the car so the Cab is out.

I have been searching for Targa's and Coupes but based on what I'm seeing a nice coupe is out of my price range so the Targa is in my crosshairs. I brought this question up primarily because I would be willing to wait and save up some more $$ if the coupe was really significantly better for street driving but I'm not gleaning that from anyones response. I'm translating it as an incrementally better car and required for track duty which equals much higher demand. I personally would love to have either but again, the Targa seems to be closer to what I was initiallly willing to spend one an air cooled car. Hope to join the fold soon.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
My dad has a 964 cab, and I'm always impressed with how rigid it feels when I drive it. It has very little flex, especially compared to a Miata for example (which jiggles all over the place). I wouldn't want one at all if it felt like a Miata. A 964 cab is pretty stout and drives very well compared to a coupe, plus I love the increased engine noise - top up or down. I'm sure the Targa is the same in both regards, if not better due to the increased rigidly of the Targa hoop and rear glass.

Plus, it's cool that it's such a low numbers car.
If you think a Miata is bad, try a Fox body Mustang Convertable.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:14 PM
P964nut
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I've had both targas (SC Sport and 964) and coupes (964, 993 and 997). For track work it has to be a coupe every time. For road use you're unlikely to be driving so hard that you'd feel any difference, so go with what you like. Targas are noisier at speed with the roof on, which can get tiresome on long major road drives. They'll usually find a way of leaking sooner or later. My roof is usually off so you get the benefit of open top motoring and that wonderful sound in your ears to turn every drive into an event!
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 PM
jgj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

∆∆ what he said all the way. The weather where you live may be a factor. Living in the UK I need the top on more often than not. Top off, for an average driver, the Targa experience is hard to beat in 90% of real world driving situations. I can go fast round a track, but if you really like to press on its the coupe you need. Top off it will leak and squeak eventually, however many times you fix it. Personally I love the old skool awkwardness, even though it's a royal PITA sometimes. Targa build numbers were exceptionally low if that matters to you. Only you can decide which look you prefer.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Porsche930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned and driven both targa and coupe of the classic air-cooled cars. Targa roof generally will squeak occasionally, particularly when the vehicle has been parked indoor for a while but the occasional squeak will soon be gone once the vehicle is driven. Although my 964 C2 Targa roof seal may not be at its optimal condition, the interior noise level is still quite comfortable as compare to my 993 coupe. Both are stock vehicles and I love both. My Targa does get a little more wind noise inside the cabin due to the hardening of the roof seal, but it's fine and not irritating even driving at highway speed of 70+ mph. Also the Targa top may leak a few water spots by the side windows during car wash with heavy hose/pressure spray. If interested in a Targa, I'd recommend to get some actual drive times behind the wheels of a few to see for yourself. I take turn to drive my coupe and Targa. They are fun cars and the 964 Targas are relatively cool looking and rare IMO.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I guess I'll put in my two cents. As some of you know my garage has a bunch of 911's.
3 of them being 1991 black C2 5 speeds. One coupe, one convertible, and one targa. Yeah, it's pretty funny. I would say my favorite car to drive out of all 3 variants is the targa. It's just the most fun for me. I always bang my head and then stab myself in the chest with the window frame when I drive the coupe. Just so used to getting in and out of a window frameless targa and convertible.
I always liked the open feel of the true convertible though. Although I think the targa is a little quieter top off then the convertible at highway speeds.
Can't argue the swooping look of a coupe, and it definitely feels tighter when cornering. Again, doesn't really matter on the street. Guess all I am saying is I am a 964 only targa fan. Meaning not a huge fan of the targa look besides the 964 version. Oh, my targa with 120k + miles, has no rattles at all with the top off. Only the usual creaks with the top on, mostly in cold weather.
The low numbers also make it super cool. I can't remember ever seeing another targa on the road in the Boston area. Although my other half said we have seen another. Anyways, buy the targa.

Last edited by greg1990964; 07-20-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greg1990964
Well, I guess I'll put in my two cents. As some of you know my garage has a bunch of 911's.
3 of them being 1991 black C2 5 speeds. One coupe, one convertible, and one targa. Yeah, it's pretty funny. I would say my favorite car to drive out of all 3 variants is the targa. It's just the most fun for me. I always bang my head and then stab myself in the chest with the window frame when I drive the coupe. Just so used to getting in and out of a window frameless targa and convertible.
I always liked the open feel of the true convertible though. Although I think the targa is a little quieter top off then the convertible at highway speeds.
Can't argue the swooping look of a coupe, and it definitely feels tighter when cornering. Again, doesn't really matter on the street. Guess all I am saying is I am a 964 only targa fan. Meaning not a huge fan of the targa look besides the 964 version. Oh, my targa with 120k + miles, has no rattles at all with the top off. Only the usual creaks with the top on, mostly in cold weather.
The low numbers also make it super cool. I can't remember ever seeing another targa on the road in the Boston area. Although my other half said we have seen another. Anyways, buy the targa.
Thanks Greg, this is definitely helpful. Stay tuned....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Targa vs Coupe Question