Pressure bleeder users - inspect/replace your vinyl hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Pressure bleeder users - inspect/replace your vinyl hose

I have a Motive Pressure bleeder. It has been a trusted tool for bleeding brakes and clutches for 10 years. A few weeks ago, I had an unpleasant surprise. My bleeder was sitting on a stool next to the left front fender. My friend was in the car moving the clutch pedal and I was under the car opening the bleeder on the clutch slave. All of a sudden my friend is yelling. The hose between the bleeder and the car was spraying brake fluid all over the garage and car. We got it stopped and cleaned up. We lost about 12-16 ounces of fluid. It was a big mess. I ended up spraying down the car with brake clean and fortunately, the paint was unharmed. However, I didn't notice that it had gotten on two of the wheels. I will have to get those refinished.

Bottom line, I still love the Motive Pressure Bleeder but didn't think that it would need periodic maintenance. My hose had gotten very brittle with age. I use the wet method but never store fluid in the bleeder. I found Amazon carries 5/16 vinyl tubing of replacement hose from Amazon for $6 for 10 feet. (link)

I strongly recommend everyone inspect your hose. I would hate to see someone's car get damaged when a simple periodic replacement could save you headaches and time.

Edit - If you'd rather use the OEM hose, Motive offers replacement tubing. For everyone's reference, here is the link for replacement tubing.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/colle...-powerbleeders

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 07-17-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:50 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks rob!
Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I use the power probe pressure bleeder. Dealer tool. use's electric pump to push the fluid.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I've used mine dozens & dozens of times for more than ten years - but only 'dry'.

The tubing on my Black Label version is very soft & pliable. Definitely not run-of-the mill vinyl tubing. I modified my tubing with quick disconnects years ago and ordered the same tubing direct from Motive.

Andreas
Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Andreas - I too have the Black label version and most of the tubing seemed pliable but right at the connection to the bottle, it was very brittle. That's where mine failed. I didn't realize how brittle it was until I took mine off and I tried squeezing it on the end. The rest seemed soft. Very weird.

You raise a good point. Motive offers replacement tubing. For everyone's reference, here is the link for replacement tubing.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/colle...-powerbleeders
Old 07-13-2017, 09:31 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Although I've never had an issue with the Motive bleeder, a long time back before I bought one I had a different brand. One day the hose popped of from the reservoir cap. You don't hear it when sat next to the back wheel on the opposite side of the car. Made an absolute mess of the engine bay (front engine car) and took an age to clean up. From then on, even when using the Motive bleeder I now wrap the whole thing and reservoir in a great big decorating sheet - just in case!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:51 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of mine, I have not used wet as of yet. Is this OE hose vinyl? Are you replacing all lengths of hose? Did you use same type clamps or just screw down band clamps?

Old 07-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

My hose appears to be vinyl. Perhaps Motive has used different types over the years.

I haven't replaced the hose yet. The package from Amazon arrived last night. I will use the crimp on clamps if I have the right size on hand otherwise I will use the screw type clamps. The pressure is less than 25 psi so I'm confident any clamp is sufficient. I plan on cutting my 10' hose to match the length of the original.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine disintegrated a couple years ago making a real mess. It crumbled into little pieces. I got some clear gas hose and replaced it and so far no more problem.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 AM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My pressure bleed system is very simple: a reservoir cap with hole drilled in it and a tire valve and a clip on tire chuck.

I set my regulator on 20 psi, fill the reservoir with brake fluid, screw on the modded cap, clip on the air hose, and bleed. You do have to add brake fluid, unlike the Motive unit, but mine has worked like a charm every time.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thanks for the link to the hose. I was using my bleeder a couple of weeks ago to bleed the Spyder brakes and I heard a faint hissing noise so I know I'm due.

Quick Reply: Pressure bleeder users - inspect/replace your vinyl hose