Sponsored by:

Broken Diff Cover Stud

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Broken Diff Cover Stud

Ok, I messed up. I was removing all the engine cover mounts from the car as I don't intend on using an engine cover, I kept hitting my head on them working under the car, and they looked like they could easily get snagged on something.

Well, after removing the one on the diff cover I lazily Google'd the torque spec for the nuts and quickly found 33ft/lbs. WRONG. It's 17 ft/lbs, and somewhere between the two, the dreaded SNAP. I could've cried. I did curse. Loudly.

Anyway, it's bleeding fluid now so I have to attack this ASAP. Couple questions for anyone that has done this.

It looks easy enough to do in the car (I have a 2 post lift.) Steps as I see them:

- Drain the fluid.
- Pull the axle.
- Remove diff cover nuts, diff cover.
- Replace stud.
- Reassemble with new o-ring (and a new shaft seal because Im already in there.)
- Refill trans fluid.

So am I missing anything? Is there any reason I can't do this as described? Of course, I've read the service manual and gotten all the proper torque specs this time around.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance and wish me luck!

Name:  U0gL4px.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  1.48 MB
Old 07-16-2017, 11:41 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

At least you didn't misread the torque spec for the bolt that bolt the axleflange to the differential guts like I did lol. Sounds like a good plan. Rebuild the limited slip while you are in there if you have one. It's simple. When taking that cover off I remember that you need to take a stud out to remove it. I forget which one but I think it in the right upper corner when you look at it from the wheel well.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Ah good to know. Didn't see that in the service manual.

I wish I had an LSD. I seriously considered buying one and using this as an excuse, but after a 20k motor build, I really just want to enjoy the car without writing any 5 figure checks for a bit. That begs the question though, can you get the diff out with the trans in the car?
Old 07-16-2017, 12:23 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you can. After taking the side cover off and removing the flange on the passenger side it slides right out.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:44 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

You've got this.

And don't feel bad about the lsd. You can't properly install one while the gearbox is in the car.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
You've got this.

And don't feel bad about the lsd. You can't properly install one while the gearbox is in the car.
Lash adjustment.

Which reminds me I need to have BBI get a quote from you on a diff for my 964. Motor trans coming out for rear cage build, flywheel, and bunch of "bits".

Contemplated the regear, going to hold until I get the motor direction sorted. I like 3rd, 2 is too short.

I've the factory LSD it now....
Old 07-16-2017, 01:34 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Very common on 964 to get slightly taller 2nd and shorter 5th. 3&4 unchanged.

Quick Reply: Broken Diff Cover Stud