Sponsored by:

Experience with ECU Doctors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 05:57 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Experience with ECU Doctors?

Looks like my CCU has a couple of issues and searching through the usual google results, I found a few reference for the ECU Doctors.

http://www.ecudoctors.com/porsche-ec...trol-unit.html

Has anyone had any experience with these folks? Apparently the use a new micro processor with updated software and a 5-year warranty.

Thanks.

Never mind - I think I found the answer. Sorry,I was to quick with the note. should have looked here a little closer.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:37 AM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

cjoenck,

I think that we are excellent, but that's for others to decide.

Here are a few pictures of our completely upgraded A/C CCU design for 964 and 993 Porsche.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
Looks like my CCU has a couple of issues and searching through the usual google results, I found a few reference for the ECU Doctors.

Has anyone had any experience with these folks? Apparently the use a new micro processor with updated software and a 5-year warranty.

Thanks.

Never mind - I think I found the answer. Sorry,I was to quick with the note. should have looked here a little closer.
I had an outstanding experience w/ them. This was for the DME in my 993.

They did a great time w/ a fast turnaround
Old 07-12-2017, 02:46 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm very happy with my 993 cab control unit that ECU Doctors repaired, I also sent out my 965 CCU to them , Which to arrives today, super fast turn around. installed and works perfect... Thank you ECU Doctors

Last edited by heliolps2; 07-27-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:07 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 180 Posts

I had a fantastic experience with ECU Doctors.

Having issues with the CCU on my 93 RSA, would blow hot air intermittently without fan or temp on, ccu fan was noisy and run on longer than specs, and oil cooler fan would blow when the ignition was cycled, even when car was cold. Having read about the upgraded software for their CCU I sent my unit in. Received on a Thursday, up-grade complete and shipped on Friday.

Installed the CCU yesterday and it works flawlessly. In addition the fan volume and speed is vastly improved. A new feature of their up-dated software. My faceplate and all ***** are in great shape so replacement was not necessary, however they do up-grade/replace trim hardware if needed.

On another note with ECU Doctors...I have a friend who owns a 964 C4 that sent his ECU in for repair (after chasing an intermittent stalling/no start issue for 6 months). Car runs flawlessly after ECU Doctors refurbished his ECM, and received the same excellent service and rapport.

Nice to have ECU Doctors in our camp as these 964 cars age out and exhibit problems with ECM & CCU's.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:52 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

I wish they would fix the EZ69 ignition units for our much loved 965 turbos, Or design one that uses the same shell but with updated internals .

Helio
Old 07-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck

Thanks.

It's unfortunate that you experienced a problem with your climate control unit (CCU). That Porsche ECU
is a very well designed CCU with a very very low failure rate. Given that the Porsche 964/993 overall
climate control system is somewhat complex, i.e. more complex for some than the Porsche DME engine
management system, many including Porsche dealer techs, mis-diagnose 964/993 climate control
system problems as being related to the CCU itself, where the majority of the problems are external
to the CCU. Once proper diagnostic troubleshooting is performed on the 964/993 climate control system,
few if any problems are ever found to be related to the CCU itself.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:42 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ Agreed. I bought electric contact cleaner and sprayed the button contacts after taking the CCU apart last week.

The CCU was giving me full AC and then stop every so often before. Now it seems paying $8 for electric contact cleaner and 30 minutes of disassembly is working just fine.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:03 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To Loren's point, most Control Units from AC systems to DMEs are very reliable for 10,20 or 30 years.

Proper diagnosing of the car itself is the starting point.

But for those customers that want to eliminate the Control Units from their diagnostics process we recommend they send their units in for Testing.

We often see cases like this 964 Heater CCU where it was diagnosed at our bench that the AC Control Unit was faulty since we could duplicate the problems the customer was complaining about.

After we rebuilt it and upgraded it we knew that it was going to be 100% plug and play to satisfy the customer.

Old 02-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Porsche911-86
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BEWARE ! of ECU Doctor

ECU Doctor's repair on my ECU on my Porsche 911 - 1986 did not work. The ECU hunted +- 800 rpm at idle after repair.

Assuming the ECU had been repaired, I spent 16 hours of mechanic's time and numerous parts to try to find the problem. Finally, we pulled the ECU and noticed they had a resistor not soldered in place and sent it back to ECU Doctors. ECU Doctors tested the unit and said it was out of spec and repaired the unit on warranty. Upon reinstalling the 2nd time repaired unit, the car still hunted in idle. Next move was we swapped the ECU with another ECU another mechanic had in his '86 911 and all worked. Feeling that ECU Doctors were unable to fix the ECU, we got an ECU from Vertex. This unit works fine.

Owner of ECU Doctor's "Jorge" refused to refund the cost of their repair that did not work. He felt that after 2 unsuccessful attempts at repair, he was due a third shot.

In writing this, I looked around the Internet and found many reviews like this. The 3 mechanics who worked on my car mentioned that ECU Doctors gets it right about 3 out of 4 times. All 3 mechanics had had previous bad experiences with ECU Doctor.

BEWARE THEY MAKE ERRORS OFTEN.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:07 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 86 Likes on 78 Posts

For those having CCU problems, read here under Porsche/CCU 964/993; https://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 02-11-2023, 07:11 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

I had two very positive experiences with ECU doctors and have visited their shop, which is extremely well run and impressive.

Quick Reply: Experience with ECU Doctors?